Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new "Shot on iPhone XS" video on its YouTube channel that highlights the growing surfing community in Cuba.

Apple says the short film provides "a glimpse into the Cuban surf community and a new era within the island nation" and "explores the humble beginnings of the movement and how interest in surfing is building in the country."

Apple also shared a behind the scenes look at the making of the video:

"Ola Cubana" was shot by Zak Noyle on the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max with the aid of the Freefly Movi Cinema Robot smartphone stabilizer, FILMic Pro app, AxisGO waterproof housing, and BeastGrip universal lens adapter and rig system. The video was commissioned by Apple and directed by Nick Woytuk.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Shot on iPhone XS' Video Exploring the Cuban Surfing Community

Reactions: DeepIn2U

dvdvd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2009
Wait, so we can use the iPhone for shots under water? I thought water damage was not covered by the warranty.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
"Ola Cubana" [Cuban Wave] was shot by Zak Noyle on the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max with the aid of the Freefly Movi Cinema Robot smartphone stabilizer, FILMic Pro app, AxisGO waterproof housing, and BeastGrip universal lens adapter and rig system.
Nice.
I was curious.
Here is the bill of materials, aside from iPhone XS/XS Max and Zak's obvious talents:
  1. Freefly Movi Cinema Robot smartphone stabilizer, B&H, $299
  2. FILMic Pro app, v6.8.2, App Store, $14.99 [foundation, +in-app V6 Banner purchases]
  3. AxisGO XS/XS Max waterproof housing, AquaTek, $199.00
  4. BeastGrip universal lens adapter and rig system, B&H, $139.99
Not bad.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
How many Cubans have the luxury of being able to own an XS or XS Max?
The well-connected and people who work in the tourist industry can. I went down there several years ago and the DJ at our resort had a recent MacBook Pro of his own.

The free market down there is also graaaadually being reformed and loosening up.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Chris D'elia has a comedy special on Netflix now wherein he describes Cubans as the happiest people in the world. It's pretty funny, and this reminded me of that.

Reactions: lunarworks

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Cool, love shooting in the surf. Amazed how many commenters could not even bother to read the little bit of text they scrolled down in a hurry to post 'iPhone and salt water' nonsense haha. Says a lot about how little most people care about text when there is a video. Getting a AxisGO waterproof housing for my XS.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

MVMNT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
At least no one - hopefully - can be of the illusion that's shot purely with the iPhone. A great use of all the other kit though.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I LOVE THIS VIDEO!!

We need to see more videos like this ... partial to my Jamaican & Cuban heritage.

Nice.
I was curious.
Here is the bill of materials, aside from iPhone XS/XS Max and Zak's obvious talents:
  1. Freefly Movi Cinema Robot smartphone stabilizer, B&H, $299
  2. FILMic Pro app, v6.8.2, App Store, $14.99 [foundation, +in-app V6 Banner purchases]
  3. AxisGO XS/XS Max waterproof housing, AquaTek, $199.00
  4. BeastGrip universal lens adapter and rig system, B&H, $139.99
Not bad.

Psst. You forgot iPhone XS / XS Max ($1100-1300US). ;)

Reactions: Marekul

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
Do you have personal experience? Im honestly curious as most reporting on cubans access to newer technology and internet is usually rather scathing, for example:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/06/americas/cuba-cellphone-internet/index.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article89199142.html

So basically you're saying many have cutting edge $1k smartphones but are using 3G internet with them?
I know many who fly down for vacation from Canada. Cuba is a real bargain, especially if you have kids. No Disneyland there. Anyway internet is awful, even at resorts. Cellular is spotty too and we use text and only occasional photos. In some cities I guess there is some 4G. I also have met a filmmaker who did a short on the trans community there using an iPhone 6 I think over about 3 years. Raw vid was exported to a micro sd card to get it off the phone. Cut and edited in US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.