Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tangerine-MasterCard.png
Canadian bank Tangerine has updated its Mobile Banking app today to enable Apple Pay support for its Tangerine Money-Back MasterCard credit card.

Tangerine, a direct banking subsidiary of Scotiabank, is the seventh-largest bank in Canada with approximately 2 million customers as of last month.

Tangerine credit cards -- no debit yet -- can be added to Apple Pay by tapping the "Add Credit or Debit Card" option in the Wallet app on iPhone 5 and later running iOS 8.1 or newer. Verification can be completed with the updated Tangerine Mobile Banking app, available now on the App Store [Direct Link] for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.

Apple Pay can be used virtually anywhere contactless payments are already accepted in Canada, including at Aldo, Apple Stores, Canadian Tire, Chapters, Coles, Giant Tiger, Indigo, London Drugs, Mark's, McDonald's, On The Go, Petro-Canada, Pizza Hut, Rona, Staples, Tim Hortons, and hundreds of other merchants nationwide.

Apple Pay expanded to Canada's five largest banks in May and June, including BMO, CIBC, RBC, Scotiabank, and TD Canada Trust. The iPhone-based tap-to-pay service is also available to ATB Financial, Canadian Tire Bank, and non-bank-issued American Express cardholders.

Update: PC Financial MasterCards can also be added to Apple Pay starting today.

Article Link: Canada's Tangerine and PC Financial Now Support Apple Pay

Reactions: OttawaGuy

RichTeer

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada
My wife is thinking about getting a Tangerine card. She's more likely to get one now that they support Apple Pay.

Alas, I'm still slumming it with my 5s, so no Apple Pay for me!:(

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
Still waiting for Desjardins... It will probably be in 2 years considering they're always late with every new technology...

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Still waiting for Desjardins... It will probably be in 2 years considering they're always late with every new technology...

Tangerine is only the credit card at this point, correct? Doesn't seem like that great of an addition until it is debit too.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
My wife is thinking about getting a Tangerine card. She's more likely to get one now that they support Apple Pay.

Alas, I'm still slumming it with my 5s, so no Apple Pay for me!:(

You could get an Apple Watch. It works great for Apple Pay and I'm pretty sure it supports 5s. One benefit is that you don't need your iPhone for it to work which saved my butt plenty of times when I didn't have my phone or wallet but wanted to stop off and buy something at a market.

You can probably pick one up for cheap on eBay if you're not willing to invest in a new one.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Tangerine is only the credit card at this point, correct? Doesn't seem like that great of an addition until it is debit too.

They have several types of accounts now. I'd imagine the bank accounts have debit cards since they have unlimited transactions.

RichTeer

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada
You could get an Apple Watch. It works great for Apple Pay and I'm pretty sure it supports 5s. One benefit is that you don't need your iPhone for it to work which saved my butt plenty of times when I didn't have my phone or wallet but wanted to stop off and buy something at a market.

You can probably pick one up for cheap on eBay if you're not willing to invest in a new one.

I have toyed with that idea, but to be honest an Apple Watch doesn't really appeal to me thatch, at least in its current incarnation. I don't wear watches in summer, and I don't like wearing them when I work out. So yeah, it would help with my Apple Pay envy, but I'd rather just get an iPhone SE (when it comes with a 128 GB capacity)! :)

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
hah I just applied for mine last week. Does any place even support apple pay in Canada? I don't think I've ever seen anybody use it.

Not sure I'd ever use any of these pay things just put you at more risk and I usually always have my wallet and way and tap on CC's is actually easier and faster.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
hah I just applied for mine last week. Does any place even support apple pay in Canada? I don't think I've ever seen anybody use it.

Not sure I'd ever use any of these pay things just put you at more risk and I usually always have my wallet and way and tap on CC's is actually easier and faster.

Anywhere you can tap your credit card, you can usually use Apple Pay by tapping your iPhone. They don't need to advertise that they support Apple Pay.

Putting you at more risk is entirely false. You can only make a payment by authenticating using Touch ID. Once you try it you'll see. And it's just as fast as tapping a credit card - Have your thumb resting on the home button (not pressing), and tap the phone close to the terminal. No need to turn on the phone or anything ahead of time.

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
Successfully added a PC Financial MasterCard to Apple Pay on the iPhone, however it wil not install onto the Apple Watch (error comes up saying iPhone could not contact Apple Pay/check internet connection). Has anyone been able to add PC MC to the Apple Watch?

RichTeer

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada

As others have said, just about any place that supports tap to pay supports Apple Pay, whether they know it or not.

In my experience, Apple Pay is quicker than using tap to pay with a CC. As for more risk: if someone steals your CC they can tap to pay without hindrance. They can't do that with Apple Pay (unless they also steal your thumb!)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.