Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Effective today, the Apple Pencil no longer needs to be purchased at the same time as an iPad to be eligible for AppleCare+ coverage, according to an announcement shared with Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers today.

ipad-pro-apple-pencil-2-800x511.jpg

This means that if a customer has AppleCare+ for iPad, coverage now extends to any first-generation or second-generation Apple Pencil the person may own even if purchased separately. AppleCare+ for iPad covers up to two incidents of accidental damage to the Apple Pencil, each subject to a fee of $29 plus tax.

AppleCare+ covers both the iPad and Apple Pencil for two years from the date the plan is purchased. AppleCare+ must be added within 60 days of purchasing an iPad, but when the Apple Pencil was purchased does not appear to matter.

The news coincides with the launch of new iPad Air and iPad mini models. AppleCare+ is $69 for both devices.

Article Link: Apple Pencil Now Eligible for AppleCare+ Even Without Being Purchased Alongside an iPad

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Careful with the Apple Pencil 1. If you don't use them for several months, they completely die off and become unusable.

Which is the case with any device that has a Li-Po battery:
Let it run empty and then sit for a few months, there's a good chance the battery will be severely damaged or even dead entirely.

I just wish Apple (and every other device manufacturer) would educate people about this a little better.

iTom501

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
London
Best news for me today, I bought an iPad this morning but had the pencil since last week and my cat already managed to chew it, so yay

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
Careful with the Apple Pencil 1. If you don't use them for several months, they completely die off and become unusable.
That’s anything with a lithium ion battery... it’s just quicker on the pencil because the battery is so small. If you are not going to use a lithium ion battery for long periods of time, make sure they are not completely dead before you put them away. Somewhere between 40-80% and in a cool place. If you are going months on end, be sure to remember to pull out the device and charge it every few months

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Isn’t that the case with any lithium ion battery? After it’s not used for so long, it depletes, the battery can’t fully recover. And I imagine with the battery being so small inside the Apple Pencil, it doesn’t take very much for the battery to drain and if it’s not charged regularly, it can’t be fully recovered.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
2 incidents between both devices. I'd want to know what the no AC+ damage cost for the Pencil is. because if you use both incidents on your pencil and then break your iPad it's gonna be at least $199. gets up to $649 for the newest 12.9 pro.

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
It was definitely possible last year, but probably not an automated process. I bought a discounted 11“ in december 18, two weeks later the Pencil from a different retailer and around Christmas Apple Care+ from Apple. I checked the warranty status of both after this and i saw that the pencil was still limited to regular warranty. After a short call Apple Care was added by the Apple Customer Service. They said that it is no problem that i bought both elsewhere. So i guess this isn’t really a new policy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.