Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
I would like some opinions on whether to purchase a used MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) 4gb memory/500gb hard drive. 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, comes with mac office, case and warranty ending Jan 20th (eligible for apple care extension) for $850. Or should i just buy the refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Dual-core Intel i5 from the apple site for $999?

Currently using a windows PC and would like to transition to a mbp. Just for basic student usage, not doing anything fancy on it. Thank you.

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Well, if you buy from apple then you won't have any worries about if it's possibly stolen or similar things plus you'd be getting three years (if you buy the extension) vs the two years on the used (assuming you buy the extension).

It really comes done to your budget and how trusting you are of buying used.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
With used you never know. As the previous poster said you it may for example have been stolen. Alternatively their may be some damage that voided the warranty. For example, there may be water damage that you can not see unless you open up the computer which might have voided the warranty. You never know. It depends on how much you trust the person you are buying from.

awd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
I have decided to get the apple refurbished to be on the safe side. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.