Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the third beta of an upcoming iOS 12.2 update to its public beta testing group, one day after seeding the third beta to developers and two weeks after releasing the second public beta.

Beta testers who have joined Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 12.2 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

ios12banner-800x416.jpg

Those who want to download the new beta can do so after signing up for the beta program, which gives access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas.

The iOS 12.2 update expands Apple News to Canada for the first time, with Canadian iPhone and iPad users able to access news stories in English, French, or both. It introduces infrastructure for AirPlay 2 and HomeKit on third-party TVs, a feature announced in early January.

The TV remote feature in Control Center has been redesigned to take up the full display of an iPhone (with further tweaks introduced in the third beta), and there are tweaks to the Wallet app with a refined interface and a new look for Apple Pay Cash. Changes have been made to Safari with warnings about unsecured websites and new search arrows, and there's now a setting to set Downtime for apps on a day by day basis.

tvremotenewinterface-800x780.jpg

Apple is improving Safari's privacy in iOS 12.2 through a new Motion & Orientation toggle located under Settings --> Safari --> Privacy & Security, which is disabled by default. The setting needs to be enabled on to allow websites to display content that relies on motion data from the accelerometer and gyroscope in the iPhone and iPad.

applenewscanada-800x779.jpg

There are new Animoji in the second iOS 12.2 beta, including a boar, a shark, a giraffe, and an owl. Animoji can be used within the Messages and FaceTime apps. For some AT&T users, there's a new "5G E" icon for the cellular signal, replacing the standard LTE icon. This is a bit misleading of AT&T, because the iPhone does not support 5G, nor is the network AT&T calls 5G E actual 5G. Instead, it's an upgraded version of LTE, with more info available here.

newanimojicharacters-800x226.jpg

The third beta revamps the Remote in Control Center with a darker interface, changes the logo of Apple News, tweaks the About screen, and includes a new feature that will offer Today at Apple session suggestions via Siri. It also fixes the Group FaceTime bug and reenables Group FaceTime for beta users, and it fixes that pesky Lock screen bug that replaced battery charge with the date.

For a full list of everything new in the third beta, make sure to check out our iOS 12.2 beta 3 tidbits post. A complete list of all of the new features found in iOS 12.2 so far can be found in our full iOS 12.2 overview.

The iOS 12.2 update will likely see several rounds of beta testing over the course of the next month or so before it launches to the public.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third Public Beta of iOS 12.2

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
In other words, if you:
- Don't use Apple news (because they don't exist in your country)
- Don't use Apple TV (because reasons)
- Don't attend 'Today at Apple' (because you have work to do)
- Don't use Ani-Me-moji (because you don't have X-R-S or just don't wanna bother)

It's all about a Safari gyroscope and those obscure "bug fixes and enhancements". Fine. I'll install it when it's ready, but I'm READY for something really new in iOS 13, and I hope it's not snot-barf-belch physics for the Animoji's or something.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Shame the control centre remote has removed the 'back/forward 20 seconds' buttons there were super useful. Making a short scrub with the touch but is quite tricky.

Hopefully it connects to the AppleTV more quickly now, I find it has to reconnect each time it is launched which is kind of annoying when you want to stop the 'Play Trailer' thing in Netflix before it triggers (a whole different discussion...).

Reactions: daralph117

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Nope, not interested. I have an SE and IPP 12.9 1st gen. so whatever they have isn’t for me. Not sure I’m interested in ios 13 either.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
In other words, if you:
- Don't use Apple news (because they don't exist in your country)
- Don't use Apple TV (because reasons)
- Don't attend 'Today at Apple' (because you have work to do)
- Don't use Ani-Me-moji (because you don't have X-R-S or just don't wanna bother)

It's all about a Safari gyroscope and those obscure "bug fixes and enhancements". Fine. I'll install it when it's ready, but I'm READY for something really new in iOS 13, and I hope it's not snot-barf-belch physics for the Animoji's or something.

What if I don't use Safari either

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
but I'm READY for something really new in iOS 13, and I hope it's not snot-barf-belch physics for the Animoji's or something.

I really hope they do something to wake up the look & feel iOS. it's been the basically the same look & feel for 10+ years, minus the changeover from skeuomorphic look (iOS 1-6) to the flat style we've had since iOS7.

They need to allow for better customization. I'm not talking about loading unverified mods. It could be like a section of the app store, system extensions that are verified and approved by Apple. Things that Apple doesn't want to do, others will make as has been proven by jailbreak mod devs.

Giantscruz

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2013
Yay Area
I really hope they do something to wake up the look & feel iOS. it's been the basically the same look & feel for 10+ years, minus the changeover from skeuomorphic look (iOS 1-6) to the flat style we've had since iOS7.

So not 10 years then?

Also hopefully this fixes the bug affecting one of my email accounts. I have to re-enter the password everytime I want to check it.

Reactions: otternonsense

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
So not 10 years then?

Also hopefully this fixes the bug affecting one of my email accounts. I have to re-enter the password everytime I want to check it.

The change to flat UI didn't bring much change to the actual operation of the OS. Its pretty much still unchanged in the basic sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.