Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today informed developers that it is making new App Store marketing tools available for use, providing developers with a simple way to create short links, embeddable code with app icon and product page, QR codes, and more.

appstoremarketing1.jpg
Take advantage of new marketing resources to promote your apps around the world. You can now generate short links or embeddable code that lead to your App Store product page and display your app icon, a QR code, or an App Store badge. Download localized App Store badges, your app icon, and more.
Developers can enter the URL for their app on the marketing page, with Apple then providing tools to generate the aforementioned links and badges. QR codes in particular may be of interest to developers as these can be used to quickly find an app with a scan with an iPhone camera, and QR codes are also used for the App Clips feature introduced in iOS 14.

appstoremarketingqr.jpg

QR codes can be generated with different colors and with each app's icon for a unique, personalized look that takes seconds to create.

appstoremarketing2.jpg

Developers can access the new tools on Apple's App Store Marketing site for developers.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Tools for Developers to Create Short App Store Links and QR Codes

Last edited:

cknibbs

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
This is where the 30% cut goes!!!!?

I’d love to see a progressive model, where for indie developers that are just getting started Apple takes a reduced cut (say 10%) until a certain paid volume is hit. IE 150 app sales or something. Gives newbs a chance to launch something and try to earn their first year Apple Developer fee back.

Yes I am one of those newbs lol.

Reactions: Commodore 64

cdbchi

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2017
> Apple Releases New App Store Marketing Tools for Developers Like QR Codes

Who wrote this title? Be coherent ffs.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
> Apple Releases New App Store Marketing Tools for Developers Like QR Codes

Who wrote this title? Be coherent ffs.
Apple Releases QR Codes and Other App Store Marketing Tools for Developers.

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
I’ve seen a lot of small restaurants using QR codes and other apps using QR codes...looks like this will be the way of the future

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Will any current app that reads QR codes (on any platform) be able to handle (i.e., ignore) an app icon in the middle of a QR code, no matter what the app icon looks like?

darknightB

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Will any current app that reads QR codes (on any platform) be able to handle (i.e., ignore) an app icon in the middle of a QR code, no matter what the app icon looks like?

QR codes are built with redundant information so they can be read even if slightly damaged.
By abusing this feature you can put designs in QR codes, like this, but you are sacrificing some of the redundancies, so the QR code is more prone to being destroyed beyond readability.

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019

It depends on how big the icon is. In Apple’s case, the icon is small enough to still work based on my tests. I tested it successfully in QR code reader and Neoreader.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
This is where the 30% cut goes!!!!?
Sure! At least 0.000001% of it, anyway. In any case, developers can use QR codes or not, it’s optional ?‍♂️

Re: the 15 or 30% revenue share, here’s a partial list of what it pays for:

a secure, customer-trusted payment system; app hosting; APIs, libraries, compilers and other development tools; testing, interface libraries; simulators; security features; developer services, including customer support; and cloud services, including 1 petabyte of CloudKit storage.

Those are some of the things Epic thinks Apple should provide for free ?

btw, it’s worth mentioning that more than 80% of all app downloads pay nothing. Not 30%, not 15%—0%. Apple gets $0.00. Not a single penny.

If everyone did what Epic did and Apple App Store revenue went to zero, Apple would replace the ~15 billion they received somewhere else. Like add another $75—the “Epic tax”—onto the price of iPhones. ($100 in a couple years, and it would keep going up every year).

But that way Epic and other devs could get 100% of the revenue instead of only 70 or 85%. Epic might reduce the price of dances and outfits, maybe not.

ss2cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
yes qr codes are generated in such a way that if part of the code is obscured it can still present the data/be decrypted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.