Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safaripreviewicon.jpg
Apple today released another update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced in March of 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 14 includes bug fixes and updates for Safari Extensions, Custom Elements, Fetch, JavaScript, Web APIs, Apple Pay, and Web Inspector. Starting with release 14, Apple says Safari Technology Preview will include regular updates and bug fixes for Safari's WebDriver implementation. Today's update also adds support for new emoji group candidates.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Versions are available for developers running both macOS Sierra and OS X El Capitan. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's goal with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can be run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 14 With New Emoji Support and Fixes for WebDriver

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
up until the sierra release i have had no issues with safari or the tech preview but since then it is a ton of small issues around things like page loading and flash issues, etc. hopefully this fixes some of that.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Apple seems to love Mountain Lion ;) This also had the ML logo as the Sierra beta did a couple of days go (only prior to updating though, reverted back to real logo after updating, in App store update tab that is)

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Anybody getting stability issues with this release? The update hangs the browser and causes insanely high memory usage as well, virtual memory was hitting 60+ GB.

Reactions: filipe.esposito

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Meanwhile, Skype FINALLY fixes high-performance usage for their macOS client. So for the first time, I can keep the thing running in the doc.

Still waiting for Google to fix Chrome....

Samford

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
I been crashing out about every 6 webpages i visit... so much for hoping they fixed the other bugs ;)

Suggest running Font Book.app and check for duplicate fonts then validate all fonts. Browser spinning beachballs are often caused by damaged fonts. Last week my Firefox, Safari & Safari Tech were all playing up, then I checked fonts, 3 damaged, instant browser fix.

AntoineLec

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
I had to stop using Safari one year ago because 10% to 20% of links I opened in new tabs never loaded. I never understood why, it looked so random..

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Why does Safari even need an update for new emoji? Aren't they just characters that should be automatically supported by any Unicode-aware app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.