Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safaripreviewicon.jpg
Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced over two years ago in March of 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 62 includes bug fixes and feature improvements for Intelligent Tracking Prevention, JavaScript, Media, Rendering, Dark Mode, Web API, Web Inspector, SVG, Web Animations, CSS, IndexedDB, and Accessibility.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave, the newest version of the Mac operating system that's currently being beta tested by developers.

Apple outlines a few known issues in this release for the macOS Mojave version of the browser. Text does not render properly in the Smart Search Field in Dark Mode and there is no usable WebDriver implementation.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store (or in System Preferences in Mojave) to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 62 With Bug Fixes and Feature Improvements

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I'm so bored right now that I'm just going to give it a try. I always see these updates on MacRumors but never bother to read more than the first four words of the headline (Apple releases... *gasp* ...Safari Tech... oh nvm).

Wait, the download is ready, hold on.

Oh no, way too much work to accept all those cookies again, never mind.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I use Safari daily. Bring on the improvements and bug fixes. :)

Strange but I didn’t even realize there were any bugs, seems to work perfectly fine.

I prefer safari for the better privacy, security and does well against forced pop ups.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Before getting the Mojave beta, I had a version of Safari that had a "Developer" menu that allowed me to easily clear the cache. Now that menu is gone. I've downloaded this preview browser but I don't need another browser. How do I get the developer menu back?

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Before getting the Mojave beta, I had a version of Safari that had a "Developer" menu that allowed me to easily clear the cache. Now that menu is gone. I've downloaded this preview browser but I don't need another browser. How do I get the developer menu back?
you don't need developer menu in this release. Clear history clears all

tbaer

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
build 62 has crashed twice on me now after refreshing tabs.

Previous builds were stable for me.

tbaer

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Same here. I now can't launch it at all - it just crashes while loading my tabs. I've rolled back to Release 61.

If anyone needs it, this is the download link for STP 61: https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/S...AB5B-AEA972136C40/SafariTechnologyPreview.dmg

Thanks for the link. I have reported the crashes but will roll back too now. Because this preview has favicons I finally was able to retire Chrome. Been trying for years to de-googlefy and with the amount of tabs I have open at any given time it wasn't manageable with Safari just seeing those greyish tabs. Took em long enough to cave in. Anyway, can't wait for Mojave and the final Safari 12

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.