Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 11.3, the second major update to the tvOS operating system designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 11.3 comes more than three months after the release of tvOS 11.2, and a month after the release of a minor tvOS 11.2.6 update.

tvOS 11.3 can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System --> Software Update. Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 11.3 automatically.

tvos113-800x450.jpg

tvOS 11.3 introduces performance improvements and bug fixes for issues discovered following the release of tvOS 11.2.6.

The update introduces enhancements to Match Content support, automatic frame rate switching on the fourth-generation Apple TV (a feature that was added to Apple TV 4K in a past update), and automatic mode switching for AirPlay video sessions.

The TV app, designed to let users find and watch television shows and movies aggregated from entertainment apps, is expanding to Brazil and Mexico. Brazil is also gaining Siri support on Apple TV 4K and the fourth-generation Apple TV.

Early beta versions of tvOS 11.3 included support for AirPlay 2, allowing the Apple TV to be added to the Home app as part of a HomeKit setup and enabling multi-room audio across multiple Apple TVs.

AirPlay 2 functionality was, however, removed in the third beta of tvOS 11.3, eliminating these features. AirPlay 2 was not re-added during the beta testing period, so it's likely Apple is saving the feature for a future update.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 11.3 for 4th and 5th Generation Apple TV Models

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Does anyone know exactly what the enhancements to Match Content are? It seemed to be working on those few apps that had actually implemented it.

borghe

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
oh man I hope this fixes the most recent beta of HDR not being enabled over HDMI.....

borghe

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
Did you make sure your cable supports it? The cheap ones don't.
I mean it supported it just fine up to 11.3 beta 5...... DV also works just fine. It's only HDR10 which stopped working in 11.3b5.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Was hoping this might make fast or turbo-scroll or whatever they call it work as fluidly on the 4K as on the "4" but it still works much better on the 4. On the 4K is starts trying to fast-scroll but then stalls, over and over as it scrolls down through a long list of movies. Maybe 11.4 will get this working as well on the 4K as it works on the 4?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
tvOS 11.3 also added Dolby Vision support to Sony TV's that were updated to support Dolby Vision. The Dolby Vision profile that the Sony TVs use was incompatible with the Apple TV 4K until tvOS 11.3.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
tvOS 11.3 also added Dolby Vision support to Sony TV's that were updated to support Dolby Vision. The Dolby Vision profile that the Sony TVs use was incompatible with the Apple TV 4K until tvOS 11.3.

100% Atmos is not in this release.

Reactions: Breezer23

Breezer23

macrumors member
May 9, 2012

Apple needs to get it together with the audio formats. I use my Xbox One X almost exclusively for watching movies since buying an Atmos capable home theater system. Definitely a bummer as I loved the Apple TV when I was using it.

Last edited:
Reactions: stickyd8

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Does it fix the reboot loop on appletv 4K? I have to physically unplug my Apple TV every few weeks cause it’s get in a viscious reboot loop

Breezer23

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
Does it fix the reboot loop on appletv 4K? I have to physically unplug my Apple TV every few weeks cause it’s get in a viscious reboot loop

Take it into the Apple Store (set up through Apple Support first). I had the same issue. They replaced the device.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Seriously? Scroll up a few posts. What about you a forum protocol nazi? Geez glad you have the spare time to worry about something like this.

He’s correct. No where in my post did I mention Atmos, so I have no idea why you responded to my post mentioning it.

Reactions: vipergts2207

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
OK Everyone has way to much time on their hands...I hit reply instead of typing in a box. I was replying to the post above that says this

Andreas77macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Finally Atmos

If you were following the thread it was two above my post. Seriously everyone NEEDS TO LIGHTEN UP!

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
OK Everyone has way to much time on their hands...I hit reply instead of typing in a box. I was replying to the post above that says this

Andreas77macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Finally Atmos

If you were following the thread it was two above my post. Seriously everyone NEEDS TO LIGHTEN UP!

No need to get so defensive. Also, I think it’s fair to say that anyone taking the time to read MR forums, and especially anyone posting on them, has plenty of time on their hands.

Reactions: jacjustjac

stickyd8

macrumors member
May 26, 2009

When are they going to update it to support Atmos? I thought it would be in this update. I guess I'll have to continue to use my Xbox to watch my 4K movies where I want the Atmos experience.

warp9

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
Does anyone know exactly what the enhancements to Match Content are? It seemed to be working on those few apps that had actually implemented it.
I found at least one change. It now correctly detects SDR/HDR over Airplay. I can now use the iTunes Remote app on my phone instead of suffering through the TV app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.