Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming tvOS 13 update to its public beta testing group, one week after seeding the fourth public beta and shortly after seeding the sixth developer beta of tvOS.

Public beta testers can download the new update by going to the Settings app on the Apple TV and navigating to the Software Updates section under "System." "Get Public Beta Updates" will need to be toggled on, and once it is, the Apple TV will download the beta software.

tvos13-800x490.jpg

Those who want to beta test the software can sign up to do so on Apple's beta testing website.

tvOS 13 includes a new Home screen that's aimed at making it easier to find new content, with support for autoplaying videos to show off new TV shows, movies, and apps, similar to Netflix.

Multi-user support is new in tvOS 13, letting each member of the family have their own customized Apple TV interface with separate recommendations, music playlists, and Watch Now lists. A new Control Center lets you swap between profiles.

tvOS 13 gets the Apple TV ready for Apple Arcade, Apple's new gaming service that's coming to the Apple TV, iOS, iPadOS, and macOS later this year. Apple Arcade will offer unlimited access to more than 100 new and exclusive games, for one subscription fee.

Apple Arcade preparations include support for the Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Controller and the PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller, both of which can be connected to an Apple TV over Bluetooth.

Apple is also adding new under-the-sea themed screensavers made in partnership with the BBC Natural History unit, also known for "Blue Planet," and the new software brings support for a picture-in-picture mode that lets you watch TV while doing other things on the Apple TV.

For more on what's new in tvOS 13, make sure to check out our tvOS 13 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of tvOS 13 to Public Beta Testers

zantafio

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014
I'm not seeing much improvement:

ASPHALT 8 is still crashing! It was working fine up until the 3rd beta.

Youtube videos are still stuck in spinning wheel half of the time.

Sound is still out of sync in youtube after you switch to home pods.

Still no underwater screensaver

Last edited:

FilmYak

Contributor
Aug 8, 2019
A word of warning, I've had two 4K tv units bricked in the past couple of weeks. First one, I installed the beta, it worked for several days, and then died. Apple replaced it for me. I installed the beta on the replacement unit as well (Apple support assumed it was a hardware glitch), and the replacement unit died last night. Same issue. Apple is replacing it once more, but this time I had to point out it was likely the beta, and that the beta was released to the public so bugs could be found, and I'd clearly found a serious one .And to charge me money to fix the bug was unfair. They agreed, but asked me not to install the beta on this next replacement. I fully agreed to skip the beta this time. Sharing the warning in case anyone else is having second thoughts....

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I have had what appeared to be overheating with tvos betas. The thing will continuously reboot, but by unplugging it and letting it rest an hour it recovers fine. This can look a lot like bricked units, just some advice in case it helps.

FilmYak

Contributor
Aug 8, 2019
I have had what appeared to be overheating with tvos betas. The thing will continuously reboot, but by unplugging it and letting it rest an hour it recovers fine. This can look a lot like bricked units, just some advice in case it helps.

Good to know, trying it now. Thanks!

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
A word of warning, I've had two 4K tv units bricked in the past couple of weeks. First one, I installed the beta, it worked for several days, and then died. Apple replaced it for me. I installed the beta on the replacement unit as well (Apple support assumed it was a hardware glitch), and the replacement unit died last night. Same issue. Apple is replacing it once more, but this time I had to point out it was likely the beta, and that the beta was released to the public so bugs could be found, and I'd clearly found a serious one .And to charge me money to fix the bug was unfair. They agreed, but asked me not to install the beta on this next replacement. I fully agreed to skip the beta this time. Sharing the warning in case anyone else is having second thoughts....

I can confirm similar situation. I gleefully installed the beta on all three of my AppleTVs. Two were 4K, one was just a 4. Both 4Ks were bricked within a week of each other. Have not installed betas on the replacements I got from Apple. Especially after how tough it was for them to replace it. They kept trying to charge me $149

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
I'm not seeing much improvement:

ASPHALT 8 is still crashing! It was working fine up until the 3rd beta.

Youtube videos are still stuck in spinning wheel half of the time.

Sound is still out of sync in youtube after you switch to home pods.

Still no underwater screensaver

I have exactly the same problems. For me worst beta ever since the first one.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL

Sadly posts like this fall on deaf ears around here.....

Reactions: SRLMJ23

pwygant

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Dallas
Sadly posts like this fall on deaf ears around here.....

tvOS 13 along with first few betas of Catalina have been some of the worst out there in several years. Apple TV 4K freezes all the time and every time it turns on it displays the "welcome to Apple TV" what's new screen. Netflix apps slows to a halt scrolling etc. and overall apps crash all the time.

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
The first tvOS 13 beta broke 4k playback on my 64GB Apple TV 4k. The second and third beta upgrades made my Apple TV 4k unusable. I ended buying a new 64GB Apple TV 4k about two weeks ago and I'm not going to install beta updates in it.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The autoplaying looks like the best feature to me. If I’m going through all episodes of an iTunes show, it stops playback and dumps me back in the TV app after every episode.

Absurd it took them this long to implement this incredibly basic feature. I like my Apple TV in general but the pace of software development is absolutely glacial.

neander

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
This Beta really effed 2 of my favorite apps.. closer to release and more stuff breaks. Fixed an app or 2 as well though.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
They agreed, but asked me not to install the beta on this next replacement.
They (Apple) told you not to install the beta on the brand new replacement unit.

That should tell everyone what they need to know about the current level of quality coming out of Apple right now.

tvOS 13 and macOS Catalina betas in particular are an outright disaster. We're at Beta 6 now, half way through August. All of the tired and redundant commentary of "its beta" is steadily becoming less relevant.

As I said several weeks ago, it is already clear that this is going to be a nightmare release. Experienced developers can just tell. Everyone can hide behind the beta label right now and pretend that this shouldn't be much more stable with only 3 to 4 public builds left to go before wide release, but it should. And it would, if the release itself were not going to be a disaster.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
They (Apple) told you not to install the beta on the brand new replacement unit.

That should tell everyone what they need to know about the current level of quality coming out of Apple right now.

tvOS 13 and macOS Catalina betas in particular are an outright disaster. We're at Beta 6 now, half way through August. All of the tired and redundant commentary of "its beta" is steadily becoming less relevant.

As I said several weeks ago, it is already clear that this is going to be a nightmare release. Experienced developers can just tell. Everyone can hide behind the beta label right now and pretend that this shouldn't be much more stable with only 3 to 4 public builds left to go before wide release, but it should. And it would, if the release itself were not going to be a disaster.

reddit has been pretty quiet on tvOS 13 issues...

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Still the same bugs. The What's new splash scree. MLB game appears with "The Event Will Begin Shortly"

I did find the workaround where I hit pause then scrub to the live action. I sent a bug report to Apple and reported it to MLB.

SweWriter

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2018
Installed the beta, and now I am prompted to reauthenticate. It is not accepting near iphone (as requested), nor is it requesting code via other devices.

Don’t know if they want to convince me to install the beta on other devices as well. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.