Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of OS X El Capitan to public beta testers, two weeks after seeding the fourth beta and a month after providing the first OS X El Capitan beta to the public for testing purposes.

os_x_el_capitan_roundup-800x409.jpg

Today's beta has a build number of 15A262c. It is not clear what is included in the fifth public beta as Apple has not released a new seventh OS X El Capitan developer beta, breaking its pattern of seeding betas to developers ahead of public testers. Past betas have featured no outward-facing changes, so it's likely this beta also focuses on internal performance improvements and bug fixes to get the operating system ready for its public launch.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program and already have the public beta installed can update through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

OS X El Capitan is expected to be released to the public in the fall after the beta testing process is complete.

What's new in public beta 5:

Safari welcome screen - When opening Safari for the first time after installing the new public beta, users are seeing a new Safari welcome screen that highlights features in Safari like pinned sites, sharing links, and Smart Search for finding favorite websites.

welcometosafari.jpg

About This Mac - The About This Mac screen has been updated with a new OS X El Capitan logo that is in color. Previously, the logo was gray.

elcapcoloredlogo.jpg

Shake to locate mouse - In the System Preferences, there's a new Accessibility setting that lets the "Shake mouse pointer to locate" feature be disabled. This feature makes the mouse pointer bigger so it's easier to locate on the screen.

accessibilitymousepointer.jpg

Update: It appears Apple may have pulled the beta update as many MacRumors readers are no longer able to download it.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth OS X El Capitan Beta to Public Beta Testers [Update: Pulled]

Reactions: Lordrootman

michelg1970

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
The Hague - The Netherlands
2.45 GB and downloading...

Hopefully it fixes Safari so I can reach my NAS again...

Edit: download finished after 6 minutes. Will reboot now :)

Edit: installed within 10 minutes. Build is 15A262c. I can now access my NAS admin console again using Safari.

Last edited:

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Mail craps out on the initial index 100% of the time after using the migration tool; we'll see if this fixes it. Otherwise I'll wipe out the index and go from there.

EKH

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Downloading. Will you which build it is.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2015-08-18 um 19.20.43.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2015-08-18 um 19.20.43.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 361
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.