Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 10.2 update to developers for testing purposes, one month after releasing tvOS 10.1, the first major update to the tvOS 10 operating system. tvOS 10.2 comes a day after Apple released tvOS 10.1.1.

Designed for the fourth-generation Apple TV, the tvOS 10.2 beta can be obtained by connecting the Apple TV to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, downloading and installing the software from a registered developer account via iTunes or Apple Configurator.

tvOS-10.2-beta-800x500.jpg

Given the tricky installation requirements, tvOS betas are limited to developers and will not be provided to the public.

We don't yet know what's included in tvOS 10.2, but as a 10.x update, it could potentially include new features and design changes above and beyond the standard bug fixes and performance improvements. We'll update this post should any new features be discovered in the tvOS 10.2 update.

What's New in tvOS 10.2:

According to Apple's release notes, there's an accelerated scrolling option that allows users to scroll through content much more quickly, as described below:

Scroll views with a lot of content now have a behavior that allows users to scroll through them much more quickly. Several large swipes of the Siri remote will automatically switch into this mode. Additionally, users can swipe on the far right side of the remote to navigate specific indexes. If you see any unexpected behavior in your applications from this feature, please file a bug.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 10.2 to Developers

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
My biggest request would be a picture-in-picture mode similar to what's on iPhone/iPad and even the Mac.
I think it's a given we'll see that eventually, but its actually less useful on Apple TV than iPad and Mac (there is no PiP on iPhone).

On iPad and Mac, PiP is used to keep a video playing while doing other things like web, email, games, productivity, etc.

On Apple TV it would essentially be a way to keep a video playing....while looking for another video to play. Not a totally useless feature, but with such a singular purpose its definitely far down the list of priorities.

Reactions: freediverx

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
On Apple TV it would essentially be a way to keep a video playing....while looking for another video to play. Not a totally useless feature, but with such a singular purpose its definitely far down the list of priorities.

I think there is great opportunity to mix non-video apps with video apps if there was PiP. This is particularly useful with sports or music videos, where you don't really need undivided attention to the video.

For example, checking the weather while watching a music video; playing a quick game while watching baseball in the corner.

Indeed, the fact that a video wouldn't necessarily pull you away from a non-video app might encourage more non-video apps to develop for the ATV.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Why did they go back to this jackass habit of making the iOS version on the Apple TV different from what is on iPhone/iPad? They resolved this for a minute in time with iOS 10, but now they deviated from one another again.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Scroll views with a lot of content now have a behavior that allows users to scroll through them much more quickly. Several large swipes of the Siri remote will automatically switch into this mode. Additionally, users can swipe on the far right side of the remote to navigate specific indexes. If you see any unexpected behavior in your applications from this feature, please file a bug.
Is it just me, or does this sound a bit like the old speed scrolling on click-wheel iPods?
[doublepost=1485285389][/doublepost]
I think there is great opportunity to mix non-video apps with video apps if there was PiP. This is particularly useful with sports or music videos, where you don't really need undivided attention to the video.

For example, checking the weather while watching a music video; playing a quick game while watching baseball in the corner.

Indeed, the fact that a video wouldn't necessarily pull you away from a non-video app might encourage more non-video apps to develop for the ATV.
I'd be interested to see how many Xbox One owners actually use this ability. They've got it, and you'd think it would make the most sense on a gaming platform (play a game while a show plays in the corner), but I suspect that it wasn't actually as useful as it sounds.

albinousrex

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
I think it's a given we'll see that eventually, but its actually less useful on Apple TV than iPad and Mac (there is no PiP on iPhone).

On iPad and Mac, PiP is used to keep a video playing while doing other things like web, email, games, productivity, etc.

Not necessarily. I would love PiP similar to what TV's have had for decades. Would love the ability to watch two games at the same time across apps (i.e. ESPN and Watch TNT) or quickly switch between streams/apps when a commercial hits.

This one may be harder, but I've found selecting via multi task menu to be slow, as the app you are switching to needs to re-buffer.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
My two requested features:
  • Allow approving purchases from the Apple TV using Touch ID on an iPhone. This would work similar to Apple Pay on the Web, where an action on one device (Apple TV or Mac) can be approved on another (iPhone).
  • Allow adjusting overscan from the Apple TV. The Apple TV tells you to adjust this on your television, but my circa 2008 TV only allows me to adjust this if the Apple TV is connected directly to the TV, and if the input on the TV is set to "PC mode". I'd rather have the Apple TV hooked up to my AV receiver.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Not necessarily. I would love PiP similar to what TV's have had for decades. Would love the ability to watch two games at the same time across apps (i.e. ESPN and Watch TNT) or quickly switch between streams/apps when a commercial hits.

This one may be harder, but I've found selecting via multi task menu to be slow, as the app you are switching to needs to re-buffer.
Yes necessarily. I clearly stated that it would be coming eventually, but its not a priority due to very limited use case.

Alexlfm

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Midwest, US
I'd be interested to see how many Xbox One owners actually use this ability. They've got it, and you'd think it would make the most sense on a gaming platform (play a game while a show plays in the corner), but I suspect that it wasn't actually as useful as it sounds.

As an original XBONE owner, I've never used it. In fact I never even connected my DVR/Cable to the input on the Xbox(I use WMC and hdhomeruns which aren't really compatible anyways, ironically). The only thing I've done is play music in the background when playing Forza. Music in the background of games/non-video apps is the only feature I'd say is even worth pursuing, as it's the only thing that's useful.

With tablets at the prices they are it just doesn't make sense in my opinion to do pip video for anything other then web browsing. I can much more easily pull up a podcast or sports game on the tablet right on my lap then deal with the pains of multitasking/PIP. On the same device, adjusting volume of each source becomes a problem as well as the size and coverage of the window. I question how many people even ever used PIP back in the day, especially since most TVs didn't have dual tuners. Quick jump / previous channel are much more useful IMO.

Reactions: freediverx

albinousrex

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
Yes necessarily. I clearly stated that it would be coming eventually, but its not a priority due to very limited use case.

I wouldn't necessarily say it is a low priority feature. It is a common feature of most TV's today and one that many people use and want. You phrased it as the only use case being to look for something else to watch. I would disagree and say some people want to be able to watch multiple things at the same time, especially for sports, which I do quite frequently. I've resorted to moving a second TV out to my living room and streaming the second game from my computer. Not the ideal user experience.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I hope Apple eventually shows some love to those of us using universal remotes. With ATV3, I could fast-scroll long lists by holding the FF/Rew button on a universal remote. With ATV4, I can't. That's a problem.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I wouldn't necessarily say it is a low priority feature. It is a common feature of most TV's today and one that many people use and want. You phrased it as the only use case being to look for something else to watch. I would disagree and say some people want to be able to watch multiple things at the same time, especially for sports, which I do quite frequently. I've resorted to moving a second TV out to my living room and streaming the second game from my computer. Not the ideal user experience.
See: low priority.

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
What I want, is DTS support. It doesn't need to decode it. It just needs to be able to pass it through. AC3 is unacceptable for my current setup.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
snip.. On Apple TV it would essentially be a way to keep a video playing....while looking for another video to play. Not a totally useless feature, but with such a singular purpose its definitely far down the list of priorities.
Can you share a copy of Apple's priority list.
TIA

Last edited:

albinousrex

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
Just because it is low priority for you, doesn't mean it is for others and Apple. This is a standard feature on the traditional TV viewing experience that Apple is trying to replace. Using Apple TV makes it MORE difficult for me to enjoy my TV as I would like to.

Reactions: sinsin07

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002

I hear Apple offers a $149 add-on for PIP with compatible television sets. You just plug the add-on into HDMI2 and use the PIP on the TV to control PIP location/size/contents. Works great!

Or, if you are budget-conscious, $5 of double-sided tape can affix an iPad mini to the bottom corner of your TV set so you can see two things (mostly) at once. Not quite as easy to configure where the inset picture goes though.

Sorry, completely facetious, and I feel your pain. It's just that I've had PIP features on television sets since something like 1991 and after the initial novelty have never seen a use for it. Today, if I want to multitask I have several second screens (iPad, iPhone, computers...) to choose from and would rather do that than lose a corner of the main thing on the screen I am (and others in the room are) trying to watch. I think there are a number of features seen as higher priority in the Apple TV dev team than PIP.

albinousrex

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
I hear Apple offers a $149 add-on for PIP with compatible television sets. You just plug the add-on into HDMI2 and use the PIP on the TV to control PIP location/size/contents. Works great!

Or, if you are budget-conscious, $5 of double-sided tape can affix an iPad mini to the bottom corner of your TV set so you can see two things (mostly) at once. Not quite as easy to configure where the inset picture goes though.

Sorry, completely facetious, and I feel your pain. It's just that I've had PIP features on television sets since something like 1991 and after the initial novelty have never seen a use for it. Today, if I want to multitask I have several second screens (iPad, iPhone, computers...) to choose from and would rather do that than lose a corner of the main thing on the screen I am (and others in the room are) trying to watch. I think there are a number of features seen as higher priority in the Apple TV dev team than PIP.

Completely understand and fair enough. I actually have found myself wanting PiP more now on Apple TV due to the streaming era of TV. With standard cable, you can just hit the previous channel button to quickly swap between channels. With Apple TV, its a much slower process due to the loading and buffering of a new app. Even using the app switcher, it's just not the most ideal situation for quick switching.

Reactions: sinsin07

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I'd be interested to see usage statistics on the existing implementations of similar features. I suspect they're quite a lot lower than you're thinking.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I just ordered DirecTV Now. If you are a new subscriber you can prepay for 3 months and get a free Apple TV4. $105 for the 3 months of service. Even if you don't care about the service you save about $45 on the PIP setup.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I just ordered DirecTV Now. If you are a new subscriber you can prepay for 3 months and get a free Apple TV4. $105 for the 3 months of service. Even if you don't care about the service you save about $45 on the PIP setup.
I thought the ended that on 1/9/2017. Did you get the same $35 per month as well as the Apple TV?
[doublepost=1485300970][/doublepost]
I'd be interested to see usage statistics on the existing implementations of similar features. I suspect they're quite a lot lower than you're thinking.
I think this could be in the Apps. The MLB App does this and works well. Apple like Directv Now could implement on their own.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I thought the ended that on 1/9/2017. Did you get the same $35 per month as well as the Apple TV?
[doublepost=1485300970][/doublepost]
I think this could be in the Apps. The MLB App does this and works well. Apple like Directv Now could implement on their own.
The promotion that ended was 100+ channels for $35. Its $60 now. The base package is $35. If you prepay 3 months on any level you get an Apple TV. I did the base plan because I don't need the channels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.