Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today provided developers with the first beta of an upcoming 9.2.2 update to tvOS, the operating system designed to run on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 9.2.2 comes one week after the public launch of tvOS 9.2.1, a minor update focusing on bug fixes.

tvOS betas are more difficult to install than beta updates for iOS and OS X. Installing the tvOS beta requires the Apple TV to be connected to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, with the software downloaded and installed via iTunes or Apple Configurator. Once a beta profile has been installed on the device through iTunes, new beta releases will be available over the air.

apple-tv-4th-gen.jpg

As a minor 9.x.x update, tvOS 9.2.2 is likely to focus on bug fixes and performance improvements to address issues discovered since the release of tvOS 9.2.1, and Apple's release notes do say the update contains bug fixes and security improvements. Any outward-facing changes found in the tvOS 9.2.2 beta will be included below.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 9.2.2 to Developers

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Wait. You need a cable subscription to use non cable services on the ATV?
my big grin was an attempt to clarify that I was oversimplifying the problem. But clearly I failed as you missed the snarkiness in my comment.

There are apps for CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, etc that are available on AppleTV, but to use them you need to login to your Cable subscription to use the applications. Which is totally non-intuitive since people that have a cable subscription and a cable box wouldn't really need the ATV. Apple needs to work out the deals that would allow users to establish subscriptions outside of cable companies, otherwise there is no true cord cutting. This is the bug I am referring to, even though it is a service contract bug and not a software bug.

As I stated, Tim know what I am talking about and there have been hints rumors coming out that this will be addressed for years and yet nothing.

Hope this clarifies what I stated previously.

Reactions: BetaZehn

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
my big grin was an attempt to clarify that I was oversimplifying the problem. But clearly I failed as you missed the snarkiness in my comment.

There are apps for CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, etc that are available on AppleTV, but to use them you need to login to your Cable subscription to use the applications. Which is totally non-intuitive since people that have a cable subscription and a cable box wouldn't really need the ATV. Apple needs to work out the deals that would allow users to establish subscriptions outside of cable companies, otherwise there is no true cord cutting. This is the bug I am referring to, even though it is a service contract bug and not a software bug.

As I stated, Tim know what I am talking about and there have been hints rumors coming out that this will be addressed for years and yet nothing.

Maybe the ATV isn't a good solution for those people? I doubt we are going to get an Ala Carte solution through Apple anytime soon, if at all.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Maybe the ATV isn't a good solution for those people? I doubt we are going to get an Ala Carte solution through Apple anytime soon, if at all.
Actually there are two possibilities that would require a future update to the TVOS. First is that Apple creates what has been referred to as a skinny plan - 20 to 30 channels packaged together. In this scenario, Apple would either create an app from which to watch these channels or would update the way the subscriptions are verified so that they can verify against Apple. Second is a bill in congress that would eliminate the Cable Company's requirement to use a provided cable box (similar to no longer needing to use one of their routers). Again this would require some type of change within TVOS to allow it to function as the cable box (or the cable company creates an app for TVOS that would be used to access the content).

Basically I do see that there is a possibility to get around the problem and these possibilities seem to require an update to TVOS, hence my wanting the "Bug Fix."

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Cuban, I just hope you understand that it's not Tim holding this back. It's providers and channel-owning companies really, really not wanting to yield any power. They make a ton of money off us paying so much for using so little. I'm also waiting for something like an ESPN package for $10-$15 per month, but it takes time for the subscribers to slowly go away from cable/satellite and for the people who own the channels to see that our money is also good.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
First step, allow users to choose their own hardware to access cable content. Something like what was done with the phone companies after deregulation. From that point, other options allowing more Ala Carte programming could follow.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

I currently use one of my Apple TVs on a secondary tv as a cable box. All the apps are authenticated thereby allowing me to save money on a third set top box.

Reactions: E.Lizardo

alichoudhry

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2015
Is there a Siri remote firmware update with this beta? Currently using the Siri remote with the Mac bit tricky checking it myself takes ages to pair again.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Still stutters. POS release. All these updates and still can't play better than Plex Infuse or AiRvideo HD.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Cuban, I just hope you understand that it's not Tim holding this back. It's providers and channel-owning companies really, really not wanting to yield any power. They make a ton of money off us paying so much for using so little. I'm also waiting for something like an ESPN package for $10-$15 per month, but it takes time for the subscribers to slowly go away from cable/satellite and for the people who own the channels to see that our money is also good.
What I understand is that Eddy Cue is responsible for the negotiations to create the Skinny package that was rumored. Eddy has done fairly bad in recent negotiations (books got him in court, and music did not go so well with Taylor). I blame Tim for keeping Eddy around. Having said that, you are right in terms of the cable companies.
[doublepost=1464037526][/doublepost]
We use our mother-in-laws DTV login, find a friend or family member with a cable subscription and "borrow" their online login ID and Password.
Yes, this is a viable option if you are in good regards with the mother-in-law. :) I could do this with my parents that have FIOS, but I would prefer to do things the right way. The fact that the companies try to hold us hostage only to have us work around the system is just wrong. (I may still call my mom this weekend though :D)

almonde

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Which issues?

On my Samsung TV and Sony Receiver the apple TV will turn on both devices and select the correct HDMI input on the receiver, but then after about 10 seconds the receiver will then switch to 'Tv' input on the receiver. Pushing the 'Home' button on the ATV remote puts it back to the correct HDMI.

It happens every time now, it didn't do it on the first release. I think it started on the 9.1 release if remember correctly.

I'm not saying the ATV is in the wrong, but its annoying anyway and did used to work properly.

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015

Watch cable its so 90's..

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
On my Samsung TV and Sony Receiver the apple TV will turn on both devices and select the correct HDMI input on the receiver, but then after about 10 seconds the receiver will then switch to 'Tv' input on the receiver. Pushing the 'Home' button on the ATV remote puts it back to the correct HDMI.

It happens every time now, it didn't do it on the first release. I think it started on the 9.1 release if remember correctly.

I'm not saying the ATV is in the wrong, but its annoying anyway and did used to work properly.

This is happening to me too (Samsung TV). Started happening with 9.2 for me.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
There are apps for CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, etc that are available on AppleTV, but to use them you need to login to your Cable subscription to use the applications.

Wrong. All of the aforementioned tvOS apps offer free content with no login:
CNN app - The clips on the main menu can be watched for free.
ABC app - TV episodes older than one week can be watched for free. It even says right on the main menu: "Full episodes: no sign in required".
ABC News app - Completely free including the live stream.
NBC app - TV episodes older than one week can be watched for free. Like the Watch ABC app, it says right on the main menu "Latest episodes: No Sign In Required".
NBC News app - Completely free.
NBC Sports app - The clips on the main menu can be watched for free.
CBS app - The clips on the main menu can be watched for free.
CBS News app - Completely free including the live stream.
CBS Sports app - The clips on the main menu can be watched for free.
ESPN app - The clips on the main menu, the ESPN3 channel and ESPN Presents are all free without a sign in.

And if you want full access to the apps, you don't need a cable or satellite subscription. For a measly $29.99 a month, you can sign up for the Playstation Vue service and, with your Playstation Vue login, get access to 99% of these TV apps:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FipfKvmctFxzX1dWpUxf94wMbmwyXQq6Ym5cRdV5TAc/htmlview?pli=1

This is what I'm doing and I get full access to all of the TV apps on the Apple TV.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
What I understand is that Eddy Cue is responsible for the negotiations to create the Skinny package that was rumored. Eddy has done fairly bad in recent negotiations (books got him in court, and music did not go so well with Taylor). I blame Tim for keeping Eddy around. Having said that, you are right in terms of the cable companies.
[doublepost=1464037526][/doublepost]
Yes, this is a viable option if you are in good regards with the mother-in-law. :) I could do this with my parents that have FIOS, but I would prefer to do things the right way. The fact that the companies try to hold us hostage only to have us work around the system is just wrong. (I may still call my mom this weekend though :D)

Fios has a "proper" way to share user account. Have your parents create a sub account for you. I believe all the pay tv companies don't mind sharing accounts. It at least cuts down on straight piracy.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN

Yeah, I'll let Apple fight that fight, I just want to watch my stories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.