Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the first iOS 10.1 beta and the first macOS Sierra 10.12.1 beta, Apple has seeded new betas of watchOS 3.1 and tvOS 10.0.1 to developers, just over a week after the latter two operating systems were released.

On the Apple Watch, the software update can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on an iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

watchosnewfaces-800x405.jpg

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery, it must be on the Apple Watch charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone. watchOS 3 also requires an iPhone running iOS 10 to install.

On the Apple TV, installing the tvOS beta requires the Apple TV to be connected to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, with the software downloaded and installed via iTunes or Apple Configurator. Once a beta profile has been installed on the device through iTunes, new beta updates will be available over the air.

sling-apple-tv-app.jpg

It is not known what new features might be included in the watchOS 3.1 and tvOS 10.0.1 updates, but they are likely to include bug fixes for issues that have been discovered since the release of watchOS 3 and tvOS 10.

We'll update this post with any new features that are found in the two betas.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First watchOS 3.1 and tvOS 10.0.1 Betas to Developers

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
They still didn't fix the bug in which the Date complications are shown in English (i.e. Wed 21 instead of Mer 21) despite the Apple Watch (and the paired iPhone) being set to French.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
WatchOS 3 stutters a bit more than OS 2 on my series 0. Hope they fix this.

WatchOS 3 is going to be built for the new hardware with increased processing power. If you want a buttery smooth experience, you'll need to upgrade.

Overall WatchOS 3 is decent enough for legacy watch owners. It's dramatically better than previous versions as Apple promised.

Reactions: Rok73

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've had problems with WatchOS3 and syncing iCloud photos from my phone. It just syncs a few and then permanently gives up. I've just installed this update and it's still doing it. Ah well! I guess this is now a feature or I'm doing it wrong.

hevaKmaI

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
WatchOS 3 is going to be built for the new hardware with increased processing power. If you want a buttery smooth experience, you'll need to upgrade.

Overall WatchOS 3 is decent enough for legacy watch owners. It's dramatically better than previous versions as Apple promised.

I've never had a buttery smooth experience on the series 0 watch. watchOS 3 is about as close as its come...it was a huge improvement over the previous iterations.

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I would like the hide stock apps on tvos.

Could do that with the old apple tv. Really need to add that feature

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I ran the watchOS 3 beta for months on my Series 0 before getting my Series 2. Actually I still am, but I don't wear it much. I thought it ran much, much better than watchOS 2.x. Much less lag. Much less stutter. Likely because apps are kept in memory.

Series 2 is worlds better, though. Better battery life. Usable "Hey Siri" for opening apps. Faster app response in general.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I actually have yet to upgrade OS on my Gen 1 Stainless. Apple is known to release an update approximately a week after the Keynote. I typically hold off for this update to repair the minor issues.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I actually have yet to upgrade OS on my Gen 1 Stainless. Apple is known to release an update approximately a week after the Keynote. I typically hold off for this update to repair the minor issues.
Don't wait. watchOS 3 was like getting a new watch (before I actually got a new watch). The redesigned UI makes much more sense. I've been using it since the 3rd beta.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Really! I cannot be bothered having to charge the watch every day. Nike has made a poor job of their updated app and most runners have given Nike app away and changed. The watch is crazy and I smile each time I see them being worn. My life is not living every minute of the day having to be connected as I enjoy my life and freedom to be not connected.

MrChurchyard

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Really! I cannot be bothered having to charge the watch every day.

You are not charging it every day though, you are charging it every night. Taking the watch off at night and putting it on the bedside dock is really not a hassle.

My life is not living every minute of the day having to be connected as I enjoy my life and freedom to be not connected.

Good for you! All in all with the fitness tracking and less phone usage I have due to the watch it makes me enjoy my life more. I have worked in jobs where I needed to be available at all times in case of an emergency and having the watch is freeing me from having to check the phone all the time but just glance quickly at my wrist whether it is something important.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I would like the hide stock apps on tvos.

Could do that with the old apple tv. Really need to add that feature

Stock apps should be removed everywhere and only be an optional install. 90% of the world doesn't care about stocks. It is a USA fad!

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
It enables a hidden headphone jack on the Apple Watch Edition (only).
Its on the other models as well. You have to remove the digital crown to expose the plug. :)
I wasn't aware of that - just grabbing my screwdriver to prise off the crown now................... almost there................... & off it pops!...................... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

What was the phone number for the genius bar again?

M2M

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
Apples own Trailers App stopped working for me on the latest beta of tvOS. Anyone else experiencing the same ? Other then that no differences spotted.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I wasn't aware of that - just grabbing my screwdriver to prise off the crown now................... almost there................... & off it pops!...................... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

What was the phone number for the genius bar again?
I know you're joking but I almost held back my post for fear someone would take it as fact. You know, if its on the internet it has to be true. Ha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.