Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming tvOS 13 update to its public beta testing group, two weeks after seeding the third public beta and day after seeding the fifth developer beta of tvOS.

Public beta testers can download the new update by going to the Settings app on the Apple TV and navigating to the Software Updates section under "System." "Get Public Beta Updates" will need to be toggled on, and once it is, the Apple TV will download the beta software.

tvos13-800x490.jpg

Those who want to beta test the software can sign up to do so on Apple's beta testing website.

tvOS 13 includes a new Home screen that's aimed at making it easier to find new content, with support for autoplaying videos to show off new TV shows, movies, and apps, similar to Netflix.

Multi-user support is new in tvOS 13, letting each member of the family have their own customized Apple TV interface with separate recommendations, music playlists, and Watch Now lists. A new Control Center lets you swap between profiles.

tvOS 13 gets the Apple TV ready for Apple Arcade, Apple's new gaming service that's coming to the Apple TV, iOS, iPadOS, and macOS later this year. Apple Arcade will offer unlimited access to more than 100 new and exclusive games, for one subscription fee.

Apple Arcade preparations include support for the Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Controller and the PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller, both of which can be connected to an Apple TV over Bluetooth.

Apple is also adding new under-the-sea themed screensavers made in partnership with the BBC Natural History unit, also known for "Blue Planet," and the new software brings support for a picture-in-picture mode that lets you watch TV while doing other things on the Apple TV.

For more on what's new in tvOS 13, make sure to check out our tvOS 13 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of tvOS 13 to Public Beta Testers

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Hopefully the reminder to check out the new Apple TV app now disappears, I've been getting that once a day since the last beta...

Reactions: kmm1482 and neander

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I had the same problem on mine. One generation five and two generation sixes.

The problem appears to be gone. I have yet to have a pop up after three tries on all three sets

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
All I can do is wonder as the last update bricked my mine. What’s even better? I was not active in beta, not signed up. It has been doing it on its own. So.....greaaaat.

amyers

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
Texas
All I can do is wonder as the last update bricked my mine. What’s even better? I was not active in beta, not signed up. It has been doing it on its own. So.....greaaaat.

You sound like my Grandma "I didn't do anything, it did it on its own, I sware!"

bsikor

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2019
Orlando, FL
I installed the latest update to the beta on one of my Apple TVs and about thirty minutes after, all of my lighting connect to HomeKit started turning off and on. Very annoying.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Bought a refurbished Apple TV 4K to replace the one Apple bricked. This new “used“ one is not downloading the beta (as it should not be doing). YAY! TV again! Just in time for End Game (via Vudu)

Wonder if I should mail my old one to Tim Cook? With a Post-It note drawing of a USB port stuck to it.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I installed the latest update to the beta on one of my Apple TVs and about thirty minutes after, all of my lighting connect to HomeKit started turning off and on. Very annoying.

I have had problems in the past with Philip's Hue lighting issues after updates including non-beta updates. I have developed the following procedure for AppleTV updates.

1. Update all three Apple TV's

2. Make sure they are working.

3. Check Homekit.

4. Unplug the Apple TV's. Make sure to Unplug main hub (Apple TV) last.

5. Reboot my iPhone.

6. Plug in main hub (Apple TV) first. Wait until flashing light stops. Repeat on last two Apple TV's.

7. DO NOT check Homekit.

8. Unplug Hue hub and count to 30.

9. Plug in Hue hub and wait to all 3 lights are lit.

10. Check using Hue app if all lights are reachable.

11. Wait until Homekit catches up. Sometimes it take 30 for switches to start working.

It is a pain but it works for me. My biggest problem was the switches would stop working.

Added later

I do the same procedure when I update my phone. It’s usually the same time as the Apple TVs. One more thing and it’s not necessary but I turn on all the lights before starting the procedure. That way if one is not responding it’s on. If it’s not responding I turn it off manually and back on.

Last edited:

Mike Haas

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2014
With Dev B4 of Catalina, Home Sharing to the Public Beta tvOS finally started working. It is broken again under Dev B5 of Catalina. It still works on the iPhone running Dev B5 of iOS 13.

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
1. The What's New splash screen is back every time I turn on the either Apple TV.
2. I find that what's next doesn't update consistently with either Apple TV.
3. The buggies issue is with MLB At Bat and I'm not sure if the issue is with MLB or Apple TV? Most times when I turn on a game I get the "The event will begin shortly" message. Tonight when one game ended I switched to another and received that message. The fix is to close (sometimes multiple times) the app in order to get a game to play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.