Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming macOS Mojave update to its public beta testing group, two weeks seeding the third macOS Mojave public beta. Today's fourth public beta is the same as the fifth developer beta released earlier this week.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program can download the macOS Mojave beta through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store. Subsequent betas are installed in a different way, using the Software Update icon in System Preferences.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. Potential beta testers should make a full Time Machine backup before installing macOS Mojave, and it should not be installed on a primary machine because betas are unstable and often have serious bugs.

Today's macOS Mojave update introduces several new wallpapers appropriate for use with Dark Mode. There are several wallpapers that feature images of the Mojave desert, along with new abstract oil slick-style wallpapers, new dark flower wallpapers, images that have been used to promote recent Mac refreshes, and more.

mojavewallpapers-800x673.jpg

macOS Mojave's main new feature is a systemwide Dark Mode, which gives Mac users a new way to view the operating system. A revamped Mac App Store makes it easier than ever to discover great apps, while Dynamic Desktops give you wallpapers that subtly change throughout the day.

An improved Finder window with Gallery View, Sidebar, Quick Look, and Quick Actions makes it easier to manipulate, edit, and organize your files, while Desktop Stacks organizes all of the files on your desktop.

macos_mojave_roundup.jpg

The Apple News, Stocks, Home, and Voice Memos apps have made their way to the Mac in Mojave, and for the first time, you can use Siri on Mac to control HomeKit products. Group FaceTime, an iOS 12 feature, is also available in Mojave and lets you chat with up to 32 people at one time.

Apple is keeping your data safer than ever with new security and privacy improvements, and Safari in macOS Mojave makes it much harder to track you through share/like buttons and via your system configuration.

macOS Mojave is compatible with 2015 and newer MacBooks, 2012 and newer MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac models, the 2017 iMac Pro, and Mac Pro models from late 2013 and mid-2010 and mid-2012 models with Metal-capable GPUs.

Mojave will be available in a beta capacity for the next several months so Apple can work out bugs ahead of a fall release.

Article Link: Apple Releases Fourth Beta of macOS Mojave to Public Beta Testers

Mike Haas

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2014
For those of you who were wondering in last night's developer release thread? Told ya so. :D

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Curious that it still looks like Fisher Price My First OSX. When are we going to be allowed to put on our big-boy pants again and work with Apple software that looks like it came from Apple?

Reactions: The Bad Guy

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
I am using it as a primary Mac and it was stable pretty much for me. Except the last beta when it was slow and sluggish.

However, I do have 2 Macs and one runs High Sierra just in case... :)
If I would have only 1 machine - NO WAY! Try to find patience till the final release.

Thanks for the reply
[doublepost=1533059545][/doublepost]
I hope it's not a serious question.

Thanks

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
It is unless you want to deal with iCloud sign in issues, especially when 2 factor authentication is enabled on your account.

Thanks I’m using iOS 12 and don’t have any issues that have slowed me down..but I’ll hold off on Mac

pro24sure

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
I am using it as a primary Mac and it was stable pretty much for me. Except the last beta when it was slow and sluggish.

However, I do have 2 Macs and one runs High Sierra just in case... :)
If I would have only 1 machine - NO WAY! Try to find patience till the final release.

I'm running it on my main machine, mainly due to the fact that I had to have dark mode as soon as humanly possible. I have only had a few issues (Running too hot at times, can't seem to get the unlock with my watch to work some times, odd issues with graphics flickering on my external display). Beyond those issues mine has been pretty solid. I do keep daily Time Machine backups though, even going back to High Sierra and keep my files stored in the cloud for the most part.

But then again, I am an IT professional so If I had to wipe it completely and start from a re-install it wouldn't be too much trouble for me.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I'm running it on my main machine, mainly due to the fact that I had to have dark mode as soon as humanly possible. I have only had a few issues (Running too hot at times, can't seem to get the unlock with my watch to work some times, odd issues with graphics flickering on my external display). Beyond those issues mine has been pretty solid. I do keep daily Time Machine backups though, even going back to High Sierra and keep my files stored in the cloud for the most part.

But then again, I am an IT professional so If I had to wipe it completely and start from a re-install it wouldn't be too much trouble for me.
Well I gotta bite my tongue - Beta 4 does the same what DP5 does.
May break your mac - it did for me right now.

I get the forbidden sign when it tries to boot - rMBP 2015 13 inch

Mike Haas

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2014
Is this stable enough to use on primary Mac?

Well...it's stable enough to use on MY primary Mac. But I've been using betas on my primaries for years and I know what I'm getting myself into. Will you run into issues? YES. If you use Adobe products, they're slow as molasses. Fortunately, I don't rely on them except for occasional use so I can afford to wait until they get it all sussed out. Why do I do it? Personally, I think it's fun and I enjoy watching the builds get better. I'm retired so there's nothing critical on my machine.

Big update: 3.34 GB. I hope they fixed the wire-frame issue with the new screen capture feature.

Reactions: LuckyBubba

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK

^^^^ This.

Same for me. I run run HS in a VM on my MacBook Pro just incase. And yes, I am an IT consultant so if things go wrong, I can normally restore etc quite easily.

Oh and I have a work Windows laptop :)

pro24sure

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
Well I gotta bite my tongue - Beta 4 does the same what DP5 does.
May break your mac - it did for me right now.

I get the forbidden sign when it tries to boot - rMBP 2015 13 inch

It very well may, but that's why I always take a backup before updating for an easy roll back if needed. Plus, may be a little different since we've got different machines.

Betas can be testy and broken completely for some, but if you know what you're getting into it helps alleviate the issues standard people may encounter. Plus, I like submitting feedback on things I use daily to hopefully help the Apple Devs make a final product that works well.

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
Some of my iMessages recipients conversations went missing in Mojave only after this update, WTF. Still there on iPhone, but not getting notifications for these same people either. Not using Messages in Cloud feature.

Update: So if I send another message to these frequent recipients in Mojave, the history shows up again. Odd bug, will have to see if the alerts start up again...

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
Wondering why the Control Center Widgets are still missing in Mojave compared to iOS, none for Home, ATV Remote and Camera, for instance. Why is macOS always sucking the hind tit?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.