Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming macOS Mojave 10.14.5 update to developers for testing purposes, one week after releasing the third beta and a month after the launch of macOS Mojave 10.14.4.

The new macOS Mojave 10.14.5 beta can be downloaded through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences after the proper profile has been installed from Apple's Developer Center.

macosmojaveimac-800x668.jpg

It's not yet clear if there are new features in macOS Mojave 10.14.5, but it likely includes bug fixes and performance improvements to address issues that weren't able to be fixed in the macOS Mojave 10.14.4 update.

This update will make macOS more secure because after macOS 10.14.5, new Mac apps released outside of the Mac App Store that want to have Apple's seal of approval will need to go through Apple's notarization security process.

There were no major changes to macOS discovered in the first three macOS Mojave 10.14.5 betas, but if we discover anything new in this beta, we'll update this post.

The prior update, macOS Mojave 10.14.4, brought the Apple News+ subscription service, expanded Apple News to Canada, and introduced a new automatic Safari Dark Mode feature for websites.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Update to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Seems like...Software Update is buggy or their servers are trashed, I started of with 20 Kb/s, pulled the patch kabel, restarted, got 1.3 GB is about 20 seconds after it again grinds to a hold, restarted several times but get miserable download speeds.
This happened for the last few beta's, I have a gigabit fiber, it normally takes half a minute to download.

Edit: Restarted my MBP, downloaded 99.9 % (of the rest-1.2 GB) in 20 seconds, it then took another 1 minute to download a remaining ~20 MB, odd.

Last edited:

Yurk

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2019
I returned my macbook, and retired my 2 other macs, after Mojave. Apple software is extremely buggy, and stopped supporting Nvidia. This is 2019, but apple decided we do not need CUDA, cudnn, and we have to use their metal machine learning software. No thanks. My whole university will stop buying apple because of this. We had to switch to Windows and Linux. Tim is incompetent.

Gogeta-Blue

Suspended
Dec 10, 2018
I returned my macbook, and retired my 2 other macs, after Mojave. Apple software is extremely buggy, and stopped supporting Nvidia. This is 2019, but apple decided we do not need CUDA, cudnn, and we have to use their metal machine learning software. No thanks. My whole university will stop buying apple because of this. We had to switch to Windows and Linux. Tim is incompetent.
I'm a hackintosh builder because I like to customize my system
be able to upgrade and change parts, apple likes to solder parts to the motherboard
no thanks

yes Macs are expensive or should I say not worth the price tag

I have a super fast and cool looking hackintosh, I can also play pc games in windows with maxed out settings
something you can't really do on Mac OS because I don't know who's idea is it that Macs are no-good for gaming

just because they are good for education it doesn't mean that you can't use them to play some games every once in a while

a Mac should be able to play some games but is like apple don't want to, just like apple don't want Nvidia cards and want to forced people to AMD cards

the only problem that I have with that new raedon vii card is the design

YUCK

I have a RTX 2080 a hell of a beast but that card is totally useless on Mac OS thanks to mr cook

so I settle for an old Nvidia 740 card for now
because I'm not going to spend a single penny on a AMD card

I don't like being force to buy products or brands that I don't like
yes CUDA is extremely fast but it seems like apple doesn't care
wonder if apple understands the whole point on why people buy fast computers

because they like to do things fast, we don't want to wait an eternity to get the job done
but apple wants to make our user experience a living hell

well they are still selling Macs with 5400 rpm hard drives in 2019
face palm emoji lol
that is absolutely laughtable or plain ridiculous
well they are really smart when it comes to ripping off their costumers

an SSD is at least the minimum by today's standards, we already have 4x pci-e m.2 drives that are even faster than a SSD drive

well I can show apple my extreme disk speed

https://mega.nz/#!MvRFUK5L!tc1BQgLEARu5F29c_E1g1J5t9_Do3Y9n3LxmIuwMK2c

Last edited:
Reactions: 10.x

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
The only way I can run Mojave on my old Mac Pro (mid 2010) is to buy a Metal compatible graphics card. Am I going to spend hundreds of £ to update a 9 year old Mac... No. Am I going to retire it and buy something newer thats Mojave compatible... No, I simply can't afford it right now. I have been a Mac user for 35 years. I have supported Apple through the good times and the bad, but now I'm forced to go down the Linux or Windows route. So now I'm going to be out of the Apple Eco system, that means I don't need to pay over the top for my next phone, tablet and watch and I can find alternative Cloud storage and Music Services.

Nice one Tim :apple:, Cheers o_O

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Yeah right. A compatible recent AMD card is something like $100. Something older will be even less. There are many issues, but that's not one.

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
Yeah right. A compatible recent AMD card is something like $100. Something older will be even less. There are many issues, but that's not one.
Going by the compatibility list on www.techradar.com, the cheapest one I can find is well over £100. Its not worth spending that much on a 9 year old Mac that itself is only worth about £50. It may not be a issue to you, but it is for me

Reactions: Morod
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I'm a hackintosh builder because I like to customize my system
be able to upgrade and change parts, apple likes to solder parts to the motherboard
no thanks

yes Macs are expensive or should I say not worth the price tag

I have a super fast and cool looking hackintosh, I can also play pc games in windows with maxed out settings
something you can't really do on Mac OS because I don't know who's idea is it that Macs are no-good for gaming

just because they are good for education it doesn't mean that you can't use them to play some games every once in a while

a Mac should be able to play some games but is like apple don't want to, just like apple don't want Nvidia cards and want to forced people to AMD cards

the only problem that I have with that new raedon vii card is the design

YUCK

I have a RTX 2080 a hell of a beast but that card is totally useless on Mac OS thanks to mr cook

so I settle for an old Nvidia 740 card for now
because I'm not going to spend a single penny on a AMD card

I don't like being force to buy products or brands that I don't like
yes CUDA is extremely fast but it seems like apple doesn't care
wonder if apple understands the whole point on why people buy fast computers

because they like to do things fast, we don't want to wait an eternity to get the job done
but apple wants to make our user experience a living hell

well they are still selling Macs with 5400 rpm hard drives in 2019
face palm emoji lol
that is absolutely laughtable or plain ridiculous
well they are really smart when it comes to ripping off their costumers

an SSD is at least the minimum by today's standards, we already have 4x pci-e m.2 drives that are even faster than a SSD drive

well I can show apple my extreme disk speed

https://mega.nz/#!MvRFUK5L!tc1BQgLEARu5F29c_E1g1J5t9_Do3Y9n3LxmIuwMK2c

You’re a pirate and casual user. It doesn’t matter what Apple offers, if you pirate the OS you will always always be trying to pirate it. There’s no reason for anyone or Apple to listen to you. True professional users don’t pirate any software. Considering you use seems casual and game orientated there’s no reason for you to have macOS on your system.

Gogeta-Blue

Suspended
Dec 10, 2018
You’re a pirate and casual user. It doesn’t matter what Apple offers, if you pirate the OS you will always always be trying to pirate it. There’s no reason for anyone or Apple to listen to you. True professional users don’t pirate any software. Considering you use seems casual and game orientated there’s no reason for you to have macOS on your system.
sorry but that is not correct you are assuming too much
many people got tired of waiting for a new Mac Pro

I was one of them so i build my own Mac Pro
is not like you said, if apple offer something good I buy it
but I can't buy what doesn't exist, where is the 2019 model?
probably still in the making, how long have we been waiting?
thank you

I can't buy a 2013 Mac Pro because the hardware is already obsolete by todays standards
also apple still sale old things like they re new and they worth the money
which is not the case

I paid 7,000 for my build and it runs circles around any system apple has to offer today

who said I am a casual user, just because I game every once in a while
it doesn't mean that I don't do any kind of work on my system, like video editing etc
AKA content creator

the reason why I have Mac OS installed is because I like it and of of course because I can

you know that people don't actually pirate Mac OS right
I'm sure you heard of a vanilla installation, the closets thing to a real Mac
yes I know it doesn't matter how close is not a real Mac
but is not my fault that I have a compatible system
I can install Mac OS effortlessly just like any real Mac owner

simply because the hardware is supported, so I don't have to pirate Mac OS like you said

is too late now for apple to come out with a new Mac Pro
I already have my system but maybe next time

apple update iPhones, iPads, watches every year but the Mac Pro has been abandoned by mr cook
last Mac Pro is 6 years old, you can say whatever you like and called me captain crunch
but facts are facts

you can deny it all you want like the song says
yo no soy marinero, soy capitán, soy capitán

but the truth is
tu no eres capitan eres marinero
baila bamba

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: 10.x

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Going by the compatibility list on www.techradar.com, the cheapest one I can find is well over £100. Its not worth spending that much on a 9 year old Mac that itself is only worth about £50. It may not be a issue to you, but it is for me

I suggest a visit to the mac pro forum on this website to see what is actually possible with this machine. Upgrades such as processor, usb3 card, NVME ssd (after a firmware update) etc etc...

you can buy a sapphire rx460 on ebay and upgrade to Mojave and it will last you another 10 years!

Natemo80

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
9 years is a long time to hold onto a computer. If you can't find a way to budget aside some money for a new pc/mac over the span of nine years, I find your complaint nit picky and frugal. Tech always has had a short lifespan and if you can't pony up some cash once in awhile, you will never be happy. I am sorry to be opinionated myself, but I feel like somehow you are overly entitled with a 9 year old machine. General rule of thumb is 5-6 years max before you should expect to upgrade. Period.

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
9 years is a long time to hold onto a computer. If you can't find a way to budget aside some money for a new pc/mac over the span of nine years, I find your complaint nit picky and frugal. Tech always has had a short lifespan and if you can't pony up some cash once in awhile, you will never be happy. I am sorry to be opinionated myself, but I feel like somehow you are overly entitled with a 9 year old machine. General rule of thumb is 5-6 years max before you should expect to upgrade. Period.
In a perfect world you may have a valid point. But in reality, this is not a perfect world and peoples circumstances over 9, or even 5 years can change dramatically. You may be privileged to have a reliable and constant income over many years but others, through no fault of their own have not, so what you think is nit picky and frugal is irrelevant. If things are all rosey for you, then they must be for everyone? Sorry to tell you they are not. I hope you are safe in your Ivory tower and never have to suffer a significant downturn in fortune and join the less privileged.

Natemo80

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
In a perfect world you may have a valid point. But in reality, this is not a perfect world and peoples circumstances over 9, or even 5 years can change dramatically. You may be privileged to have a reliable and constant income over many years but others, through no fault of their own have not, so what you think is nit picky and frugal is irrelevant. If things are all rosey for you, then they must be for everyone? Sorry to tell you they are not. I hope you are safe in your Ivory tower and never have to suffer a significant downturn in fortune and join the less privileged.
Far from privileged and never had an ivory tower. But smart with my limited Income. Definitely smart enough to set aside $20 a month to stay semi relevant with tech every 5 to 6 years. Judging by your original post, I expected the response you gave.

Gogeta-Blue

Suspended
Dec 10, 2018
well i tell people to at least upgrade to a SSD, but they are very sure that their system runs at very good speed and they don’t need to spend any cash in upgrades, yes there are people like that in this world, running pc’s with ddr1 from the year 2000, yes almost 20 years old, running old software with old hardware, then when they send these machines in to get them fix, they expect them to fly or to run at light speed or have similar speed like newer faster machines, i do the best i can under the circumstances, but if they don’t spend any money on the hardware to at least try to make the computer a bit faster then i don’t know how they dare complaint and demand more speed

for that kind of people 5 or 10 years is a joke, they want to run their computers for 20 years or until the pc dies completely

a man dare to argue and say that the different in speed is not that noticeable and not worth the amount of money

so i had to proved my point and debunked his theory with my i9 extreme computer

then i told him pick up his jaw because it just fell to the floor, lol

not every one is cheap and cry for money, there is people who likes to have good system and spent money on parts, just to have good speed and performance

i also want my system to look nice not just to perform good, but if course not every one is that way

Reactions: Natemo80

Natemo80

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
well i tell people to at least upgrade to a SSD, but they are very sure that their system runs at very good speed and they don’t need to spend any cash in upgrades, yes there are people like that in this world, running pc’s with ddr1 from the year 2000, yes almost 20 years old, running old software with old hardware, then when they send these machines in to get them fix, they expect them to fly or to run at light speed or have similar speed like newer faster machines, i do the best i can under the circumstances, but if they don’t spend any money on the hardware to at least try to make the computer a bit faster then i don’t know how they dare complaint and demand more speed

for that kind of people 5 or 10 years is a joke, they want to run their computers for 20 years or until the pc dies completely

a man dare to argue and say that the different in speed is not that noticeable and not worth the amount of money

so i had to proved my point and debunked his theory with my i9 extreme computer

then i told him pick up his jaw because it just fell to the floor, lol

not every one is cheap and cry for money, there is people who likes to have good system and spent money on parts, just to have good speed and performance

i also want my system to look nice not just to perform good, but if course not every one is that way

Lol. Agreed. It's just people expecting software support 9 years in.....apple plays by their rules. And when you buy into upper tier brands, unlike Dell, Toshiba etc. You cant get upset when they no longer properly support your vintage gear. If you want to join the better club, be prepared to pay the dues to stay in it. I for one used to be an apple hater and built all my PC's. Except windows and linux SUCKS! IMHO anyways. To much fiddling and tweaking. Shoddy driver support. Clunky interface. So I made the switch to macOS and couldn't be happier. Sure, you spend a little more but everything just flows and has been rock solid stable. I cannot say that for windows or linux. I have audio projects I need to rely on opening and not crashing. Mission critical work. So I pay the piper to own the right tools for the job. These people that cry over vintage gear and dropped hardware support just don't seem to get it and seem to come onto the forums and think their crying is going to change anything. Except it, pay up or move on. But pretty please, if you are jumping ship, do it by yourself in a dark corner somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.