Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming tvOS 10.2 update to developers for testing purposes, just over one week after seeding the third tvOS 10.2 update and more than a month after releasing tvOS 10.1.1, the current release version of tvOS.

Designed for the fourth-generation Apple TV, the fourth tvOS 10.2 beta can be obtained by connecting the Apple TV to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, downloading and installing the software from a registered developer account via iTunes or Apple Configurator. Once a profile is installed, subsequent betas can be downloaded over the air.

Given the tricky installation requirements, tvOS betas are limited to developers and will not be provided to the public.

tvOS-10.2-beta-800x500.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, tvOS 10.2 introduces improved scrolling behavior, allowing tvOS users to scroll through large lists of information more quickly. A large swipe on the Siri remote automatically activates the new scrolling mode, and a swipe on the far right side of the remote allows users to navigate specific indexes.

It's likely there are other small feature tweaks and bug fixes included in tvOS 10.2, even though additional changes have not been specifically outlined by Apple. We'll update this post should any new content be found in the fourth tvOS 10.2 beta.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of tvOS 10.2 to Developers

HailstormX

Contributor
Nov 21, 2012
I have really enjoyed using the latest Apple TV. Hopefully TWC/Spectrum will get with the program and support single sign on and make an app for the 4th gen. I cant remember if those type of changes come with software updates? or just automatically happen as they become available?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
tvOS 10.2 introduces improved scrolling behavior, allowing tvOS users to scroll through large lists of information more quickly.

I am still having a scrolling issue that every once in a while, the scrolling becomes mostly unresponsive, but always fixes with a restart.

Reactions: star-affinity

heathen3017

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
Unfortunately, what tvOS needs most is what Apple is neglecting to add:

Backup/restore via iCloud
Multiple users login
Ability to print
Password to login and/or wake from sleep
Ability to do a hard Shutdown
Ability to set time limits for users
Vacation settings
Time/clock (I know you can simply ask Siri, but that is uber annoying)

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Sounds like a Mac Mini would better suit your needs. Unless you're joking... the 'ability to print' from Apple TV really did make me laugh out loud.

Multiple users login
Ability to print
Vacation settings

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014

Multiple users login
Ability to print
Vacation settings

Sounds like a Mac Mini would better suit your needs. Unless you're joking... the 'ability to print' from Apple TV really did make me laugh out loud.

I agree with some of the things mentioned, and I would add one.

I like the multiple user login, back up, and maybe time limits, but I would like to see a tvOS version of Safari added, or some type of web browser.

Oh yeah, one more thing, the ability to install ATV3 version of apps such as Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu. I doubt that would ever happen though.

Reactions: Liam555

heathen3017

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015

Actually, for people that shop on one of the AppleTV apps, and want/need a receipt may not laugh quite as hard as yourself...Granted I admit it's not a game changer or needed in every situation, but if you need it, you need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.