Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming tvOS 11 update designed for the fourth-generation TV, two weeks after seeding the third beta and more than a month after releasing the first beta during the 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference.

Registered developers can download tvOS 11 by connecting the Apple TV to a computer with a USB-C cable and installing the beta software using iTunes.

tvos-11-beta-800x500.jpg

tvOS 11 didn't receive much attention at the Worldwide Developers Conference due to time constraints, but according to Apple's release notes, it introduces a few new features to the operating system.

tvOS 11 includes automatic switching between light/dark mode based on local time, Home screen syncing options that keep multiple Apple TVs in a household in sync, new background modes and notification support, Focus API improvements, custom sound support, network-based pairing and development support, improvements to Mobile Device Management, and more.

The fourth beta of tvOS 11 likely focuses primarily on bug fixes and other small refinements, as the first three betas did. Apple's new tvOS 11 update is available for both registered developers and public beta testers. It will see a public release later this year.

Article Link: Apple Provides Fourth Beta of tvOS 11 to Developers

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
It's always fun to watch the number of comments that get posted on "beta" days. iOS, OSX, watchOS, and tvOS. Figured I'd throw a comment in here so my Apple TV won't feel left out. :)

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
You beat me to it. I hope it works again, I've already missed the premier of Shark Week. :(

Same. I’ve actually avoided the beta because of this issue. I certainly hope it isn’t the devs dragging their feet because the worst case scenario is a nonfunctional DTVN app on iOS 11 launch day, yet I completely believe it’s possible given their...interesting QC levels thus far.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Keeping all of the home screens in sync is nice. It's always a PIA using my bedroom ATV that is laid out differently than my primary living room ATV.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Same. I’ve actually avoided the beta because of this issue. I certainly hope it isn’t the devs dragging their feet because the worst case scenario is a nonfunctional DTVN app on iOS 11 launch day, yet I completely believe it’s possible given their...interesting QC levels thus far.

I've wondered if their app is trying to detect jailbreaks or something and crashing intentionally.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
quick, someone check the directv now app :)

-d

You beat me to it. I hope it works again, I've already missed the premier of Shark Week. :(

I've wondered if their app is trying to detect jailbreaks or something and crashing intentionally.

They are working on a new UI for DirecTV Now. So one theory is that their focus may be on that rather than making the existing app work properly with tvOS 11.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I've continued to use my Apple TV 3 instead of upgrading.

The reason? The latest ATV costs much more, but they removed the very useful optical output.

I hope that Apple will replace the optical output in a future hardware release.

Also, when will Apple provide that much anticipated Amazon Prime app?

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL

The reason? The latest ATV costs much more, but they removed the very useful optical output.

Look for used Apple TV4 if you want to save some money. I've bought three of them now, most of them almost half retail price. I think I paid $75 for a 32GB and $108 for a 64GB without boxes or HDMI cables, which I didn't care about. I think I paid $125 for a 64GB that was still brand new in the shrink wrapped box, but sold as used.

Optical audio wont' be coming back. It is on it's way out on everything, look at new AV receivers and see that they only have one or two where they used to have many. It's time to upgrade your AV system to one that uses HDMI. If you don't car about 4K, or Dolby Atmos look at used receivers that came out before them. You can usually find really good deals on them and have a nice upgrade without spending much. I bought a brand new Denon AVR that was normally about $2000 off Amazon for $400 because it was an old model that didn't support 4K. I'm using it on my 1080p Panasonic Plasma so I don't really care about 4K, but it allowed me to upgrade from and older model that only had 3 HDMI inputs and didn't support 3D to the new one which had 7 and did support 3D.

Don't look at Apple to supply the Amazon Prime app, Amazon has to create the app and submit it to Apple to approve and put it in the app store. I highly doubt Amazon has submitted it and Apple is holding it back until they want to release it. If that were the case I'm sure Amazon would be screaming about Apple not allowing them in.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Keeping all of the home screens in sync is nice. It's always a PIA using my bedroom ATV that is laid out differently than my primary living room ATV.

I wondered about this. How does it know which home screen to mimic? Like if you have 3 devices, in three different rooms. And all three have different home screens. Which one does it decide to mimic at that point?

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Where's a real third-party screen saver API? I like the default aerial views, but this system facility should be opened to third parties.

Reactions: BJMRamage

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Don't look at Apple to supply the Amazon Prime app, Amazon has to create the app and submit it to Apple to approve and put it in the app store. I highly doubt Amazon has submitted it and Apple is holding it back until they want to release it. If that were the case I'm sure Amazon would be screaming about Apple not allowing them in.

Why would Apple create the amazon app? Besides they announced it at the wwdc keynote and said to look for it this fall

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I wondered about this. How does it know which home screen to mimic? Like if you have 3 devices, in three different rooms. And all three have different home screens. Which one does it decide to mimic at that point?

If think you'd be able to set a Main/Alpha Apple TV as the one to mimic.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016

Optical audio is inching it’s way towards being obsolete. It is doubtful they would take a step backwards by including it in the next model. Sounds like you’re due for an upgrade with your other equipment.
[doublepost=1500957370][/doublepost]
Why would Apple create the amazon app? Besides they announced it at the wwdc keynote and said to look for it this fall

I don’t think they said fall, but simply later this year or something like that. Amazon has invested heavily in 4K programming and I suspect the release of their app is being timed with Apple’s release of the next generation of Apple TV later this year. It’s possible that this type of content was a part of the discussions that lead to the development of an app by Amazon.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
AppleTV 4 is a must, I enjoy casual and party games on it!

stickyd8

macrumors member
May 26, 2009

They are working on a new UI for DirecTV Now. So one theory is that their focus may be on that rather than making the existing app work properly with tvOS 11.

I sure hope so because the UI is not very good. I just hope they fix all of the time-out bugs and crashes that plagued the original app.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014

If you need the optical out, there are adapters that are pretty cheap on Amazon that adds optical out from HDMI.

I miss the optical out, but there are plenty of other reasons (Price, bugs, lack of apps, crappy apps like Netflix and Hulu) not to upgrade from the ATV3 imo. Unless there are apps you really want on tvOS, then I would just wait until the next ATV5 that is rumored. The ATV3's version of apps are much better than the ATV4's.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

If think you'd be able to set a Main/Alpha Apple TV as the one to mimic.

This, aside from maybe getting DirecTV Now (or my buddy's Comcast account) added to Single Sign On is the feature I'm most looking forward to in tvOS 11.

As for an Apple TV 5, 4K, HDR, and 3D please (just in case).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.