Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming tvOS 11 update to its public beta testing group, two weeks after providing testers with the first beta. The tvOS 11 public beta marks the first time public beta testers have had access to pre-release tvOS software.

Prior to tvOS 11, public betas were limited to iOS and macOS software likely due to the slightly more complicated tvOS beta installation process, but now public beta testers can access all software platforms with the exception of watchOS.

The second public beta of tvOS 11, build number 15J5324f, corresponds to the third tvOS 11 update made available to developers.

tvos-11-beta-800x500.jpg

The tvOS 11 public beta can be obtained by going to the Settings app on the Apple TV and navigating to the Software Updates section. "Get Public Beta Updates" will need to be toggled on, and once it is, the Apple TV will download the beta software.

Compared to iOS 11, macOS High Sierra, and watchOS 4, tvOS 11 is a minor update that brings few changes to the tvOS operating system. It's minor enough that it received no time on stage at the Worldwide Developers Conference aside from a mention of an Amazon Prime Video app coming to the Apple TV this fall.

According to Apple's release notes, tvOS 11 introduces automatic light/dark appearance switching based on local time, Home screen syncing options for syncing content between two or more Apple TVs in a household, new background modes and notification support, plus new tools for developers and improvements to Mobile Device Management.

Additional tvOS 11 features may be unveiled ahead of the operating system's public release, which is expected in the fall alongside other software updates.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Public Beta of tvOS 11 to Public Beta Testers

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Does tvOS 11 actually introduce any stability or fix the bugs that tvOS is just riddled with? Apple TV 4 is the buggiest Apple device I own with constant app crashing and freezing. But I'd heard that tvOS 11 is barely different, which is concerning.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Does tvOS 11 actually introduce any stability or fix the bugs that tvOS is just riddled with? Apple TV 4 is the buggiest Apple device I own with constant app crashing and freezing. But I'd heard that tvOS 11 is barely different, which is concerning.

Not to mention how insanely slow the interface is. I always end up pressing double because I'm in doubt whether my first command was actually registered.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

“According to Apple's release notes, tvOS 11 introduces automatic light/dark appearance switching based on local time, Home screen syncing options for syncing content between two or more Apple TVs in a household, new background modes and notification support, plus new tools for developers and improvements to Mobile Device Management.”

I took this from the above article. But the short answer is not really. Isn’t worth it, unless you just really really want to be one of the 1st ppl to try it.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have owned ATV 1, 2, 3, and 4. My family currently still uses ATVs 2, 3, and 4 regularly.

I have to agree with you that the ATV4 is very buggy. While the ATV4 has gotten much better since it was released, many of the bugs are still around, or updates just create new bugs.

None of my other ATVs were nearly as buggy, actually, the ATV3 seems like it is almost flawless. The ATV2 seems to restart randomly every couple weeks, but nothing compared to the ATV4.
Not to mention how insanely slow the interface is. I always end up pressing double because I'm in doubt whether my first command was actually registered.
I am glad that my family isn't the only people to experience this.

For example: double clicking the home button doesn't always register, so we do it again, only to have the "multi screen" to appear then disappear because it was lagging the first time.

Situations similar to the example happens many times daily.

Reactions: Braderunner

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Agreed. tvOS10 reminds me of early version of Android. I was never sure if my input registered.

Reactions: Braderunner

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I have owned ATV 1, 2, 3, and 4. My family currently still uses ATVs 2, 3, and 4 regularly.

I have to agree with you that the ATV4 is very buggy. While the ATV4 has gotten much better since it was released, many of the bugs are still around, or updates just create new bugs.

None of my other ATVs were nearly as buggy, actually, the ATV3 seems like it is almost flawless. The ATV2 seems to restart randomly every couple weeks, but nothing compared to the ATV4.
I am glad that my family isn't the only people to experience this.

For example: double clicking the home button doesn't always register, so we do it again, only to have the "multi screen" to appear then disappear because it was lagging the first time.

Situations similar to the example happens many times daily.

Agreed. tvOS10 reminds me of early version of Android. I was never sure if my input registered.

I honestly hadn't experienced much issue with either my 32gb or 64gb ATV4s. However, my 64gb (my main one) every other week or so, will require a restart as the sound will be choppy or non-existent.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Heard that! The Apple TV 4 is the most un-Apple-like product made by Apple. The software and the hardware are both terrible.
[doublepost=1499892634][/doublepost]
“According to Apple's release notes, tvOS 11 introduces automatic light/dark appearance switching based on local time, Home screen syncing options for syncing content between two or more Apple TVs in a household, new background modes and notification support, plus new tools for developers and improvements to Mobile Device Management.”

I took this from the above article. But the short answer is not really. Isn’t worth it, unless you just really really want to be one of the 1st ppl to try it.
I tried it because I thought, “Why not. There’s nothing to lose. It can’t be any worse”. What’s really concerning is that it is absolutely no better. Every bit as buggy. No better, no worse. The fact that Apple is not addressing these issues is unbelievable. TvOS needs a complete overhaul. I was hoping it was going to receive it this year. But, tvOS 11 is not it. And, I don’t see tvOS 12 happening this year. Apple TV 4 is like new Coke. They need to scrap it, and go back to the drawing board. Keeping in mind where they were with the 3rd gen., and go from there.
[doublepost=1499892743][/doublepost]
Meeeee toooooooo! Sofa king annoying!

kevine

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2002
Palo Alto, CA
I'm really surprised that people are saying the Apple TV 4 is buggy... like at all. I have 7 of them (some 32GB some 64GB). There's almost always one in use in one of our houses at any given time. We use the Channels app for live TV (via HDHomeRun Prime) and Plex for DVR and a 32TB library of movies, along with Netflix and occasionally Hulu, HBO, ShowTime, some game or app like Zillow.

No problems on any of them... ever. At worst, I've had to force quit Plex maybe twice in the past 6 months.

I've upgraded one of the boxes to the first public beta, and yes, as expected there are some issues, but that's what beta is for.

BTW: I like the way that although I've been a user since 2002, I'm still a MacRumors "newbie".

Last edited:
Reactions: Xirian

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Heard that! The Apple TV 4 is the most un-Apple-like product made by Apple. The software and the hardware are both terrible.

Yup. Can’t believe it’s a product Apple believe is deserving of their brand. A horrible experience.

Honestly, if you’re someone on the edge about buying an Apple TV I’d say wait to see what they come out with next, cause this thing is not worth the trouble it causes.

Xirian

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
I have 3 apple TVs and none of them have the issues you're all mentioning. I never have to reboot and they're stable. I gave away a fire TV and replaced it with another apple TV specifically because tvos is so stable unlike the fire TV.

I have no issues with the remote either, the only slowness is the response time in directvnow.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'm really surprised that people are saying the Apple TV 4 is buggy... like at all. I have 7 of them (some 32GB some 64GB). There's almost always one in use in one of our houses at any given time. We use the Channels app for live TV (via HDHomeRun Prime) and Plex for DVR and a 32TB library of movies, along with Netflix and occasionally Hulu, HBO, ShowTime, some game or app like Zillow.

No problems on any of them... ever. At worst, I've had to force quit Plex maybe twice in the past 6 months.

I've upgraded one of the boxes to the first public beta, and yes, as expected there are some issues, but that's what beta is for.

BTW: I like the way that although I've been a user since 2002, I'm still a MacRumors "newbie".

I have 3 apple TVs and none of them have the issues you're all mentioning. I never have to reboot and they're stable. I gave away a fire TV and replaced it with another apple TV specifically because tvos is so stable unlike the fire TV.

I have no issues with the remote either, the only slowness is the response time in directvnow.

If you follow the ATV4 threads, it is very common to have a very wide range of user experiences. Some saying the ATV4 is a solid device, and just as many, probably many more, saying that they are experiencing all sort of issues.

My experience is that at launch the bugs were so bad that the device was almost unusable, most updates improved the overall experience, and a few updates that introduced new bugs or reintroduced old ones.

I love my ATVs, but the ATV4 has had many issues since it was launched. And this is not even getting into the non-bug related issues like the lack of apps, mediocrity of the existing apps like Netflix, Siri remote, and the high cost.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
If you follow the ATV4 threads, it is very common to have a very wide range of user experiences. Some saying the ATV4 is a solid device, and just as many, probably many more, saying that they are experiencing all sort of issues.

My experience is that at launch the bugs were so bad that the device was almost unusable, most updates improved the overall experience, and a few updates that introduced new bugs or reintroduced old ones.

I love my ATVs, but the ATV4 has had many issues since it was launched. And this is not even getting into the non-bug related issues like the lack of apps, mediocrity of the existing apps like Netflix, Siri remote, and the high cost.
The user interface is a disaster. Period. Even without the bugs. Those who say they don’t have a problem with it are basically only using it like a Roku box.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I don't see the Get Public Beta toggle in the System settings.

I'm signed up for the iOS 11 Public beta and am signed into my AppleTV with that Apple ID. There doesn't seem to be a place to sign up for tvOS Public Beta on Apple's site. What am I missing?

Roar7

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2016
Aarhus, Denmark
I don't see the Get Public Beta toggle in the System settings.

I'm signed up for the iOS 11 Public beta and am signed into my AppleTV with that Apple ID. There doesn't seem to be a place to sign up for tvOS Public Beta on Apple's site. What am I missing?

Try signing out and then sign in again. That worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.