Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming tvOS 12.1 update to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the second update and three weeks after releasing the tvOS 12 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 12.1 beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode. Subsequent betas can be downloaded over-the-air.

appletv4k2.jpg

We're not yet sure what fixes and changes the tvOS 12.1 update might bring, but it's likely to focus on bugs that have been discovered since the release of tvOS 12. No new changes were discovered in the first two tvOS 12.1 betas.

Apple's tvOS updates have historically been minor in scale, and Apple does not often provide us with detailed notes outlining what's new, but we'll update this post should any changes be found in the third beta.

Update: Apple has also seeded a new beta of tvOS 12.1 to public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 12.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
"We're not yet sure what fixes and changes the tvOS 12.1"
I think only the rejected Apple devs are giving TV OS to work on - can't recall the last ground breaking feature that has been delivered for this platform

steeevo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2018
Maybe they will fix theatre so i can watch my home movies again. They keep messing up theatre/icloud on apple tv. Its About the 3rd time it has stopped working in a year. I think it has probably worked for about 2 months overall

Mind The Mac

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
Maybe they will fix theatre so i can watch my home movies again. They keep messing up theatre/icloud on apple tv. Its About the 3rd time it has stopped working in a year. I think it has probably worked for about 2 months overall

There are comments on the Apple Support site that iMovie theater for Apple TV has been dropped and the app removed. So it has to be hoped Apple will make it a native app for the TV or find another solution.

I’m on my 2nd outage this year and based on the support site, I am not optimistic it will return.

hick9

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
I've had the same few bugs with my (2) AppleTV's 4K (5th Generation) for close to a year now. I keep reporting them but no avail .. I also own (2) 4th Generation and (2) 3rd Generation that don't have the same issues and work fine so it seems to be AppleTV 4K issues. In short my previously used e-mail function does not work as well as Artwork for TV Shows on the Top Shelf/ main screen when selecting the Computers app that you use to watch content in your Mac Library.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
My AppleTV 4k worked great, until I got a 4k today. Now the picture drops every few seconds. It's completely unusable.

I know it's not the HDMI cable, and I doubt it's my new LG TV since my other 4k devices work fine.

steeevo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2018
My AppleTV 4k worked great, until I got a 4k today. Now the picture drops every few seconds. It's completely unusable.

I know it's not the HDMI cable, and I doubt it's my new LG TV since my other 4k devices work fine.
I had that and i changed the video settings about sdr hdr 4k and tried different hdmi cables and it solved it.

Is your hdmi high speed?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Conceptually, larrylaffer is also trying to (newly) stream 4K content too. Robust enough wifi? Test wired connection with the same problematic video? Is the 4K video properly formatted (say, from iTunes Store or from some other source)? Etc.

Will the new 4KTV play HD video that is previously known to have played just fine on the former TV?

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
I had that and i changed the video settings about sdr hdr 4k and tried different hdmi cables and it solved it.

Is your hdmi high speed?

According to the bag it came in, yes. But, it was still a low-cost cable from a not-well-known manufacturer. I ordered an Amazon cable to see if that makes a difference. It arrives today!

Conceptually, larrylaffer is also trying to (newly) stream 4K content too. Robust enough wifi? Test wired connection with the same problematic video? Is the 4K video properly formatted (say, from iTunes Store or from some other source)? Etc.

Will the new 4KTV play HD video that is previously known to have played just fine on the former TV?

The 4K content I'm trying to play is in the Netflix app on the Apple TV. Everything is wired, and I have a 300mbps cable connection. It's definitely not a matter of network bandwidth. Also, the flickers will sometimes happen when just sitting on the home screen.

At this point I'm guessing I need a better HDMI cable, despite the one I have being labeled as supporting 4k60.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, with that info, it's probably the cable.

Be sure to try a known good HDMI port on the new TV. For example, you say other 4K devices are playing fine, so try one of their HDMI ports (and maybe their HDMI cable too) just to rule out a port issue on the new TV. Maybe others work fine but the one you are using for :apple:TV is faulty?

As is the problem appears to be narrowed down to cable, new TV or perhaps your :apple:TV. The cable is easiest to test. If you or a friend have another :apple:TV4K, slug it into the same slot using the same cable and try playing the same video. If it ALSO has the same problem, you'll rule out your :apple:TV and can zoom in on cable or new TV.

If you try a better/best HDMI cable and the problem persists, it might be something with the new TV... especially if you can test another :apple:TV4K and repeat the issue. Another good test with a friend: take YOUR :apple:TV4K to their house, hook it to their 4K TV and see if the problem repeats there too. If not, it's your HDMI cable or your new TV.

Perhaps take your HDMI cables to their place and test it/them too to rule out/in the cables?

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
According to the bag it came in, yes. But, it was still a low-cost cable from a not-well-known manufacturer. I ordered an Amazon cable to see if that makes a difference. It arrives today!

The 4K content I'm trying to play is in the Netflix app on the Apple TV. Everything is wired, and I have a 300mbps cable connection. It's definitely not a matter of network bandwidth. Also, the flickers will sometimes happen when just sitting on the home screen.

At this point I'm guessing I need a better HDMI cable, despite the one I have being labeled as supporting 4k60.
may need the nuclear option and reset all and start over - this fixed the issue for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.