Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is partnering up with Sesame Workshop to create a range of programming for children, reports Variety. The partnership was established by Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, who have been heading up Apple's video efforts.

Sesame Workshop is a non-profit organization that develops educational children's programs such as "Sesame Street," a popular, well-known, long-running program for kids.

sesameworkshop-800x450.jpg

According to the terms of the deal, Sesame Workshop will develop live-action and animated series, along with an Apple-exclusive puppet series. Content created for Apple will be original and will not include "Sesame Street," which airs on PBS and HBO.

sesamestreet-800x450.jpg

Apple has already signed deals for more than a dozen original television programs, but thus far, the series it is producing have not included content for children.

Apple is, however, rumored to be pursuing a deal with Cartoon Saloon, which has previously produced animated films aimed at both children and adults, including "The Secret of Kells," "The Song of the Sea," and "The Breadwinner."

Article Link: Apple to Develop Kids Programming in Partnership With Sesame Workshop

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Apple is, however, rumored to be pursuing a deal with Cartoon Saloon, which has previously produced animated films aimed at both children and adults, including "The Secret of Kells," "The Song of the Sea," and "The Breadwinner."

Interesting as this studio, along with the likes of Laika (Kubo and the Two Strings, Coraline) produce some of the more innovative and critically-acclaimed content in the animation field. In other words, the complete opposite to Apple these days.

Reactions: Mikey44

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Apple seems to be making a lot of very expensive shows with big celebrities, big name directors and producers, and big production companies, whilst simultaneously looking incredibly boring...

I hope they prove me wrong.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Apple seems to be making a lot of very expensive shows with big celebrities, big name directors and producers, and big production companies, whilst simultaneously looking incredibly boring...

It may just be that you're not the target market. Kids programming, if done right, is a huge draw. I'm guessing all of their programming will be on a subscription basis, like Netflix. If they do provide compelling kids programming, that will pull in a LOT of families which will lead to a trickle down effect for the rest of the programming. It's a smart move.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
It may just be that you're not the target market. Kids programming, if done right, is a huge draw. I'm guessing all of their programming will be on a subscription basis, like Netflix. If they do provide compelling kids programming, that will pull in a LOT of families which will lead to a trickle down effect for the rest of the programming. It's a smart move.
Their target market appears to be stay at home moms and sci fi drama nerds and that's it... Besides this one kids show.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It will be interesting to see if video professionals continue to move away from Apple software and hardware as Apple becomes a competitor to the work they do. Many of these streaming services making movies and TV shows rely a lot on Apple hardware and software. But will they want to keep doing that when Apple has their own TV shows and movies? Could Netflix ever get big enough to start designing their own software or even hardware for their video production teams? Nobody would have predicted Apple trying to compete with Netflix and Disney 10 years ago, so who knows if these companies will be competing with Apple in reverse 10 years from now. The world doesn't make sense any more so why not?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Smart move going forward for Apple.
[doublepost=1529524865][/doublepost]
It will be interesting to see if video professionals continue to move away from Apple software and hardware as Apple becomes a competitor to the work they do. Many of these streaming services making movies and TV shows rely a lot on Apple hardware and software. But will they want to keep doing that when Apple has their own TV shows and movies? Could Netflix ever get big enough to start designing their own software or even hardware for their video production teams? Nobody would have predicted Apple trying to compete with Netflix and Disney 10 years ago, so who knows if these companies will be competing with Apple in reverse 10 years from now. The world doesn't make sense any more so why not?

I don’t see why that would happen. Professionals will continue to use tools with which they’re most comfortable and productive.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don’t see why that would happen. Professionals will continue to use tools with which they’re most comfortable and productive.
It might be a choice higher up. Companies do weird things when it comes to competitors. This is really new territory so it's hard to tell what might happen.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
More reheated culture.

In the case of teaching children basic skills and learning programs, I see nothing worth complaining about. Of course, you're welcome to use the Kardashians and your TV as a babysitter if you see fit.
[doublepost=1529526199][/doublepost]
This is awesome. They should have a channel that plays nothing but Sesame Street and Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

Hey now don't leave out The Electric Company, Reading Rainbow, Great Space Coaster, Carmen Sandiego, and Mister Wizard's World!
[doublepost=1529526262][/doublepost]

Did everyone at News Corp and Time Warner jump to Mac when Microsoft started MSNBC?

Reactions: dman22

TimmeyCook

Suspended
Jun 20, 2018

Looks like they have been targeting woman.

But I agree, they should hire the top artists though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.