Apple Settles With Creative For $100 Million

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
IJ Reilly said:
$100 million? Yikes. :eek:
Yup. how much does Jobs saying "Creative is very fortunate to have been granted this early patent" say to you? Pissed off is the roundabout answer!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Really, though $100 million isn't all that significant to a company with reserves like Apple has, vs. having a possible patent infringement hanging over them that could, given a ruling against them, cost much more.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
emw said:
Really, though $100 million isn't all that significant to a company with reserves like Apple has, vs. having a possible patent infringement hanging over them that could, given a ruling against them, cost much more.
Maybe not, but why do I think Apple could have bought the entire company for that kind of dough?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Creative's stock up 30% in after-hours trading. The $100 million is a drop in the bucket for Apple, but it will certainly help Creative...

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
Maybe not, but why do I think Apple could have bought the entire company for that kind of dough?
Ha! Probably crossed their minds.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
emw said:
I guess so. It's good that there's been a settlement though. For both companies I think this is a positive outcome.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
WildCowboy said:
Creative's stock up 30% in after-hours trading. The $100 million is a drop in the bucket for Apple, but it will certainly help Creative...
Methinks a creative person involved in the negotiations could have made a fortune buying Creative stock at the right time.It would be illegal of course.:rolleyes:

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Subiklim said:
I highly doubt it. Remember, when Apple gets big, they'll have the group of haters that follow Microsoft claiming monopoly.
Well Apple isn't afraid of buying companies. The whole idea for the iPod came not from Apple but from a company they took over.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
AlBDamned said:
Well Apple isn't afraid of buying companies. The whole idea for the iPod came not from Apple but from a company they took over.
A little-known company, and that was to create it's product. If apple buys one of their largest competitors, that will raise a few eyebrows.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
What I find most interesting is that fact the Creative is joining the Made for iPod program and will be producing its own iPod accessories.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Subiklim said:
A little-known company, and that was to create it's product. If apple buys one of their largest competitors, that will raise a few eyebrows.
Largest in a sense but Creative is hardly a competitor. The largest out of 25% is substantial in everyday terms but I think it's safe to assume the MS Zune would have destroyed their market share. And I wouldn't have cared if this lawsuit had flattened creative (as it was due to do before they won the patent filings).

Creative make feature-filled products but they lack a) finesse and b)the iTunes music store.

If Creative hadn't won the patent fight they would have already filed for bankruptcy by now.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Settles With Creative For $100 Million

Apple and Creative have resolved their legal disputes which started on May 15th of this year when Creative and Apple sued each other claiming patent infringement. According to a joint-press release, Apple will pay Creative $100 million USD to settle all outstanding lawsuits.

"Creative is very fortunate to have been granted this early patent," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "This settlement resolves all of our differences with Creative, including the five lawsuits currently pending between the companies, and removes the uncertainty and distraction of prolonged litigation."

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
It seems advantageous for both parties, Creative get the opportunity to make some money for a change too ;)

applerocks

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Too bad Apple had to pay when, IMO, they didn't really infringe on a patent.

But, it's good that the lawsuits are done with.

We'll see what Creative's next moves are. More accessories and less hardware?

applerocks

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
I still find the fact that Creative will be making products for the iPod the most interested aspect of this case - but damn, 85 cents a share is crazy high :eek: !

ender78

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2005
I see Apple stock going up on this news. $100 Million is getting off easy. Could have been a LOT worse.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
applerocks said:
Too bad Apple had to pay when they didn't really infringe.

But, it's good that the lawsuits are done with.

We'll see what Creative's next moves are. More accessories and less hardware?

applerocks
My guess is that Apple really did infringe - Steve sounded a little pissed off in his comments, but he also sounded like he really did lose...otherwise, they wouldn't have paid Creative 100 million dollars....:rolleyes:

ender78

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2005
applerocks said:
Too bad Apple had to pay when, IMO, they didn't really infringe on a patent.
Either Apple believed they did and/or was afraid of further damages the court could award. If Steve thought he could invalidate the patent, he would not have settled.

jsarrasinjr

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
western MA
You have to wonder how tenuous Apple's position was considering that they have settled so early (in huge lawsuit time). 100 million dollars is a lot of money to spend to get Creative off their back.