Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today continued on with its line of iPhone 7 advertisements, introducing a new spot called "The Archives," which focuses on the Memories feature that's available in the Photos app.

In the video, available on YouTube, an archivist is shown working in a vast photo archive, carefully selecting and then pasting together physical versions of Live Photos and videos into a montage that's first shown on a projector and then transferred to the iPhone 7.

"Her Dreams" by Luca D'Alberto and "Unchained Melody" by Lykke Li accompany the video, as does the tagline that Apple's been using for all of its recent ads, "practically magic."

Apple has done several ads in this series that focus on the photographic capabilities of the iPhone 7, including "The City" and "Take Mine," but this is the first ad that has highlighted the Memories feature that's baked into iOS. Memories aggregates photos and videos around selected dates, locations, and people, turning them into slideshows accompanied by music.

Today's ad is also accompanied by a simple tutorial video that outlines how to use the Memories feature, which joins many other iPhone 7 photography tutorials that Apple has been producing since May.

Apple's Memories feature is set to see a major improvement in iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, gaining support for a range of new categories including pets, babies, outdoor activities, performances, weddings, birthdays, and sporting events.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'The Archives' iPhone Ad Focusing on Memories Feature in Photos App

Reactions: ipedro

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I like the memories functionality. I wish you could do it in reverse though. Specify you want a particular thing like a day in time or a certain time range, etc. Even specifying the time (other than the accompanying music) would be nice. Sometimes I'd like a longer one to share with people.

HommePomme

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
I like the memories functionality. I wish you could do it in reverse though. Specify you want a particular thing like a day in time or a certain time range, etc. Even specifying the time (other than the accompanying music) would be nice. Sometimes I'd like a longer one to share with people.

You should be able to change the length of time in the edit settings if there's enough photos, and you can also view Moments/Collections/Years and Albums as Memories as well. So if you really wanted to get your hands dirty you could make an album of a specific time or the right content, or just back out to Years and tap the header and get one for the whole year

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
You should be able to change the length of time in the edit settings if there's enough photos, and you can also view Moments/Collections/Years and Albums as Memories as well. So if you really wanted to get your hands dirty you could make an album of a specific time or the right content, or just back out to Years and tap the header and get one for the whole year
I'll check the settings for length. My biggest want is customized stuff. Like "this day every year for the past 5 years" kind of thing.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I like the memories functionality.
Me too.

With iCloud now offering 2 TB for $9.99/month, and iOS 11 bringing Family Sharing, I recommend iCloud Photo Library highly to anyone with a sizable photo library. It brings entirely new level of enjoyment out of your photos and videos.

Now, if only Apple would bring Family Sharing to iCloud Photo Library (e.g., husband and wife using a single library).

Squirrel

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2001
Great rendition of "Unchained Melody", but did anyone notice the AutoTuned note in her voice at 1:23-1:24? Listen closely, it's sounds unnatural.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Would be even greater if it is for free like Google Photos. I would love to store all the home videos and pictures I have. It will most likely exceed 2TB.
Isn't Google Photos free if and only if you agree to downscale OR if you have Pixel phone?

Anyway, I don't mind paying for privacy, especially something as sensitive and personal as photos. And $9.99/month for 2 TB is cheaper than Dropbx, Google, and Microsoft by almost 2X.

Reactions: jef82

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Isn't Google Photos free if and only if you agree to downscale OR if you have Pixel phone?

Anyway, I don't mind paying for privacy, especially something as sensitive and personal as photos. And $9.99/month for 2 TB is cheaper than Dropbx, Google, and Microsoft by almost 2X.

If you really care you should make sure to keep a local backup of your data instead of relying on the cloud.

I personally prefer to backup to my computer then use my backup service to create an encrypted backup.

winglet69

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
London, UK
Does this mean that Photos will no longer scramble my entire library into random and duplicate albums of it's own choosing (including ones I curated myself and synced)? Other than using the main camera roll I've pretty much abandoned it completely for this reason.

Anything would be an improvement.

Reactions: Col4bin

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If you really care you should make sure to keep a local backup of your data instead of relying on the cloud.

I personally prefer to backup to my computer then use my backup service to create an encrypted backup.

I trust Apple not to share my photos and videos with advertisers.

And backup isn’t the reason why I use iCloud Photo Library. I love having access to ALL my photos and videos. And Memories make it easier to find gems among my 100,000+ photos and videos.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
I trust Apple not to share my photos and videos with advertisers.

And backup isn’t the reason why I use iCloud Photo Library. I love having access to ALL my photos and videos. And Memories make it easier to find gems among my 100,000+ photos and videos.

And Im saying to make sure you at least keep a copy of the photo library elsewhere and not have it as the only copy.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Some customizability of this Memories function would be great. But then it might be iMovie?
[doublepost=1498051331][/doublepost]
Does this mean that Photos will no longer scramble my entire library into random and duplicate albums of it's own choosing (including ones I curated myself and synced)? Other than using the main camera roll I've pretty much abandoned it completely for this reason.

Anything would be an improvement.
Agree. It's a complete mess on my phone, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.