Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
My apple tv 3rd gen will play a movie for about 10 minutes then goes back to the main screen. Have it real close to the wifi. Am asuming its dying but thought to ask before trashing it if any possible fixes for it. Have done a total reset but still doing it. Does it on ripped movies and downloaded movies. Any way to fix this?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I assume you mean the old 3rd generation and not the 4k 3rd generation? Perhaps try connecting it with an ethernet cable, just for testing at least, you could move it closer to the router if you don't have a long cable. If it doesn't stop playing with a hard-wired connection, it's probably a wifi issue.

Also, could this be caused by the remote somehow? When was the last time you changed the battery? I had two Apple TV 3's and replaced them with Apple TV HD's but continue using the old aluminum remotes. However I have replaced both remotes because they started getting flakey (buttons not responding). I wouldn't think a bad remote would cause it to stop playing, but who knows? I suppose you could remove the battery after starting a movie and see if it still quits.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Correct. Not the 4K. I'll test the ethernet cable to see. Just replaced the remote battery last week. Am thinking its the wifi. Acts like it lost connection. Does the same thing when I power off my mac mini forgetting the ATV is going. Thanks.

Reactions: Boyd01

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Is there anything salvageable on this ATV before I take a hammer to it? Its either the wifi or the processor doing this. I need the wifi which I think is failing but not sure. its old so time to get another one. Thanks.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
My apple tv 3rd gen will play a movie for about 10 minutes then goes back to the main screen. Have it real close to the wifi. Am asuming its dying but thought to ask before trashing it if any possible fixes for it. Have done a total reset but still doing it. Does it on ripped movies and downloaded movies. Any way to fix this?
UPGRADE. I am sure you can afford to get the new 64GB appleTV 4K.

• Haha
Reactions: cateye

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Is there anything salvageable on this ATV before I take a hammer to it? Its either the wifi or the processor doing this. I need the wifi which I think is failing but not sure. its old so time to get another one. Thanks.
Glad you came to this conclusion and wont argue and argue about how useful such an old ATV is unlike some I have had discussions with here.

• Haha
Reactions: cateye

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Already have a 4K ATV in the bedroom so another for the living room will work. Have a few movies that won’t play on the 4K so will have to rip those again.

pimmelberger

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019
Both of my Apple TV 3rd Gen stopped working in a useful way a few days ago. Netflix and Prime are not working anymore. Prime doesn't even connect to the account. Netflix is showing covers and lists just fine but errors out instantly after hitting play. All other services of this device won't even start. Internet connection is fine via ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.