Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwork.jpg

In concert with the release of iOS 5 today, Apple also released updates for the iOS version of iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Remote, and Find My iPhone.

Find My iPhone was updated with "Find My Mac" functionality and the "option to request an email when an offline device comes online and is located", which is a nice feature for users with lost devices.

Remote and iMovie were given minor compatibility updates, but the iWork apps were given more comprehensive updates:

Pages:
o Automatically store your documents in iCloud and keep them up to date across all your iOS devices.
o Download your documents to a Mac or PC at icloud.com/iwork as Pages '09, Word, or PDF files.
o Drag and drop Pages '09, Word, or plain text documents to icloud.com from your Mac or PC to have them automatically appear on your iOS devices.
o Use your voice to create and edit Pages documents with dictation in iOS 5 on your iPhone 4S.
o Create footnotes and endnotes in your documents.
o View improved word counts with character, paragraph, and page counts.
o Improved compatibility with Microsoft Word and Pages '09.
o Includes improved support for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean language input.
Numbers:
o Automatically store your spreadsheets in iCloud and keep them up to date across all your iOS devices.
o Download your spreadsheets to a Mac or PC at icloud.com/iwork as Numbers '09, Excel, or PDF files.
o Drag and drop Numbers '09, Excel, or CSV files to icloud.com from your Mac or PC to have them automatically appear on your iOS devices.
o Use sliders, steppers, and pop-ups to easily enter data and explore results.
o Use Merge Cells to format your tables.
o Hide and show rows and columns.
o Improved compatibility with Microsoft Excel and Numbers '09.
Keynote:
o Automatically store your presentations in iCloud and keep them up to date across all your iOS devices.
o Download your presentations to a Mac or PC at icloud.com/iwork as Keynote '09, PowerPoint, or PDF files.
o Drag and drop Keynote '09 or PowerPoint presentations to icloud.com from your Mac or PC to have them automatically appear on your iOS devices.
o Use AirPlay to present wirelessly via Apple TV. Navigate slides, view presenter notes, and use the laser pointer while presenting from your iOS device.
o New builds and transitions including Anvil, Blinds, Color Panes, Comet, Confetti, Diffuse, and Sparkle.
o Advanced presentation controls including looped slideshows and autoplay.
o Support for slide-to-slide hyperlinks.
o Improved compatibility with Microsoft PowerPoint and Keynote '09.
Pages, Numbers and Keynote are universal apps and available for $9.99 each.

Article Link: Apple Updates iMovie and iWork for iOS, Remote, Find My iPhone Apps

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Hmm.

Anybody else having trouble updating iWork for iOS apps? When I manage to nab them after appearing under App Updates, the download appears to cancel itself. When I return to the updates tab the app update sections disappear.

Guess I'll have to wait until traffic dies down.

whammink

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Twin Cities
MS Office?

Does anyone know if MS Office for Mac (I have the 2011 version) is compatible with iCloud as a companion/replacement for iWork?

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Aperture also got an update

Only installs when you're running 10.7.2...

So is anyone keeping a count on how many pieces of software Apple is updating in one big effort? Imagine synchronizing all those dev teams. Incredible.

They are sure doing a better job than when MobileMe launched.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if MS Office for Mac (I have the 2011 version) is compatible with iCloud as a companion/replacement for iWork?

Well, the updates say you can simply drag and drop documents on the iCloud Web App, and then they get pushed to your devices. I don't think there's any reason why it wouldn't work.

sebseb81

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2010
So does Documents in the Cloud only work if you have one version or another of iWorks (either for OSX or iOS)?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
This looks like a subtly monstrous update.

There are a lot of short comings in the iOS version of iWork which were addressed today.

Merged cells in numbers? Wonderful.

Support for slide-to-slide links in Keynote? Absolutely killer. Now we can do really cool interactive prototypes.

The iWork team has tons to be proud of.

planetMitch

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2010
Missouri
How do we update iWork if we have iWork that was purchased before the release of the App store?

i'd love to know that answer as well... have updated to 10.7.2 and running software update shows nothing to update. Sure hope Apple hasn't set it up that we have to buy again.

Switcher2001

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
iCloud with iWork on Mac— I see no remote storage!?

Am I think only one searching the Internet for the past hour trying to figure out exactly how iCloud is supposed to work with iWork on the Mac? I do not have an iPad or iPhone— yet. But I would like to store my pages, keynote, and numbers documents in the cloud so they are accessible to my MacBook Air. Does iCloud do me no good? Is it only for people who have iPads/iPhones? :confused:

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
iWork for Mac

While I'm very happy with what Apple has done so far with iCloud, I wish they went just a bit further and added the iWork auto sync feature from iOS into the Mac versions of Keynote, Numbers and Pages too.

While it's not too much of a pain to fire up my browser, login to iCloud and drag the files over that I want to sync with my iPad, it would be soooo much better if it just happened "Applemagically" behind the scenes.

I would love to be able to work on my Mac at my desk, then when I have to go for a meeting, take my iPad with me and have the Mac iWork files available right there to edit and sync back to the Mac.

Maybe they will add this extra "Magic" at a later date.

Switcher2001 - Try logging into http://www.icloud.com with your Apple ID (you may need an iOS 5 device to activate it, I'm not sure about this bit?), if you can access iCloud, then you could just use it to store your files without the iOS device. Otherwise, I'd just use Dropbox which would be much better for what you want to do as you wouldn't need to keep logging into iCloud to keep your files in sync.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
If you go to iCloud.com and click on the iWork icon it will take you to a page that explains the three components of iWork - Pages, Numbers & Keynote or takes you to iTunes. If you go iTunes it says that all three were updated October 12th. Both my iPhone and iPad now have iWork that is iCloud compatible. I did not see the iWork apps in my app update list yesterday so they must have been updated when I updated to iOS5.

----------

Post-Script: once you upload a document from an iOS5 device, the screen that I described above in iCloud disappears and you will see your document. Then in the upper right corner of the iWork iCloud web page you will see a round wheel shaped icon. If you click on that icon you can upload documents from your mac. I do not remember if that icon was present prior to my uploading a document from an iOS5 device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.