Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No your watch does not know the difference and movement will cause steps to be counted. The AW just has an accelerometer inside and it can not know the different in a step or bumping it against anything. Not really a smart device but it is where we are in today's tech.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
After owning (and returning) an Apple Watch myself, I am convinced if it was properly debugged and more useful, the sales would be much better.

Kimmie92592

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
California
No your watch does not know the difference and movement will cause steps to be counted. The AW just has an accelerometer inside and it can not know the different in a step or bumping it against anything. Not really a smart device but it is where we are in today's tech.
You would think they would make a way to turn it off when you're driving. I guess you could take the watch off but that seems kind of stupid.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You would think they would make a way to turn it off when you're driving. I guess you could take the watch off but that seems kind of stupid.

They are really not that smart. The hardware makers do everything they can so we think they are smart but this like calorie counts are just an "educated" guess. There is a good chance if you took your watch off while driving, it would still count steps when you hit a bump in the road.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
"Funny" thing is.... I have the opposite problem. There have been times I've been in a store pushing a cart.... actively walking/standing.... and I miss my stand goal. I've also had it happen at home..... I'll be doing things around the house... on my feet... moving around... but it will miss my stand.... makes me.so.mad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Lancetx

Kimmie92592

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
California
Are you driving off road or something? I drive 30 miles to and from work and my Apple watch never registers that distance.
Nope! But I did figure something out. I plugged my phone into my car which has ApplePlay or whatever it's called and now it's not counting my driving as walking or activity. So somehow it knows that I'm in the car and it's all good now. I just have to remember to plug it in. But it would be easier to just have a simple on/off switch.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Nope! But I did figure something out. I plugged my phone into my car which has ApplePlay or whatever it's called and now it's not counting my driving as walking or activity. So somehow it knows that I'm in the car and it's all good now. I just have to remember to plug it in. But it would be easier to just have a simple on/off switch.

awesome

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
"Funny" thing is.... I have the opposite problem. There have been times I've been in a store pushing a cart.... actively walking/standing.... and I miss my stand goal. I've also had it happen at home..... I'll be doing things around the house... on my feet... moving around... but it will miss my stand.... makes me.so.mad!!!!!!!!!!!!

lower or swing your arm? unless you're a Frankenstein monster I don't think you should be walking with your arms out in front of you :p

Reactions: ladytonya
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.