Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After debuting a few new Apple Watch band colors following the September keynote event, Apple today updated its website with a new (PRODUCT)RED Sport Loop. The $49.00 accessory is available in both 40mm and 44mm, and it will also fit previous Apple Watch generations with 38mm and 42mm measurements.

product-red-sport-loop.jpg

This marks the first time that a Sport Loop band has gained the (PRODUCT)RED color option. Devices and accessories marked with the (PRODUCT)RED brand name represent Apple's partnership with (RED), an organization that supports HIV/AIDS programs; offers counseling, testing, and medicine; and works to prevent further spread of the disease. Every (PRODUCT)RED item purchased through Apple contributes directly to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.

In September, Apple didn't introduce any new band styles for Apple Watch, but there were a few new colors that matched the new iPhone XS and XS Max cases. For the Sport Loop specifically, there were five new colors: Cape Cod Blue, Nectarine, Hibiscus, Storm Gray, and Indigo. It's also available in the Pink Sand, Seashell, and Black options. Like the new (PRODUCT)RED Sport Loop, all versions of the band sell for $49.00.

Apple has also trimmed down the selection of bands available in its "previous seasons" section, discontinuing the following options:

- Sport Band: Gray, Pink Sand, Midnight Blue, White
- Nike Sport Band: Pure Platinum/Black, Obsidian/Black, Anthracite/Black
- Sport Loop: Seashell, Pink Sand, Black
- Stainless Steel: Silver Milanese Loop

Several of these bands were already in limited supply and only available in either the 38 or 42 mm size.

Article Link: Apple Watch Gains New (PRODUCT)RED Sport Loop

BrettArchibald

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Looks more like a (PRODUCT) PINK Sport Loop to me... o_O
Not sure that the vividness of the red comes out on that textured material.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Very nice! Had to pick this up, been waiting for them to do this. Can't use the regular bands, only the loops.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
How much of that £49 goes to the charity?

Apple doesn't specify what percentage goes to the charity.

As of April 2017:

Since it partnered up with (RED) in 2006, Apple has contributed over $160 million to the Global Fund — $30 million of which was added last year after launching the (Product)Red iPhone 7 and 7 Plus — making the tech giant the largest contributor to the Global Fund.
[doublepost=1542217237][/doublepost]
10%, along with all their other (PRODUCT)RED products.

Apple has never specified a percentage other than saying "100% of a specific amount goes directly to the Global Fund."

10% has never been a stated value. I'd be very surprised if that much from the iPhone (RED) went to that.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I love apple but sometimes I think they have trouble with colors. Like the iPhone 8 in gold...is pink. This is not “red”...it is reddish pink. That said it is a nice color.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
If they had made it an actual bright true red, like the other (PRODUCT)RED items, I might have been interested (I have one of the original Product Red sport bands, which is quite nice). But this is a blended pattern that comes off as pinkish with a hint of salmon. Not red.

Reactions: justiny

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
NO. You could actually find :apple:bands cheaper than 50 bucks.

Well, $49 is less than $50 so you're correct there. But nothing less than $49 for official Apple ones. Knock offs or used, absolutely. But Apple OEM bands, I've never seen Apple sell a band for less than $49.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.