Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When the Apple Watch Series 3 first launched, carriers in the United States and other countries where the LTE version of the device is available offered three free months of service and waived activation fees.

That fee-free grace period is coming to an end, and customers are getting their first bills that include the $10 per month service charge.

applewatchedition-3-800x320.jpg

If you have an Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE functionality, you've probably already learned that $10 is not all it's going to cost per month. On carriers like AT&T and Verizon, there are additional service charges and fees, which means it's not $10 per month for an Apple Watch, it's more like $12-$14.

On Verizon in California, for example, there's an additional $1.55 in fees on top of the $10 per month charge.

verizonapplewatchfees-800x291.jpg

On AT&T in North Carolina, fees and surcharges add an additional $4.39 to the $10 per month charge, bringing the total to almost $15 per month for an Apple Watch. In some states, these fees on Verizon and AT&T are even higher.

attapplewatchfees.jpg

If you're planning to avoid fees by deactivating service and activating again when it's needed, that may not be the best plan of action. As Macworld's Michael Simon points out, line activation fees that come with reactivation can be hefty.

Though the Apple Watch Series 3 is linked to the cellular number of the iPhone on a given carrier, it requires adding an additional line to a cellular service account. When you cancel and re-add a line, there's an activation fee involved. On Verizon, for example, if you deactivate the Apple Watch Series 3 and then want to activate it again at a later date, there's a $25 charge. Suspending service doesn't work, as it requires a $10/month fee, aside from a one-time 30 day free suspension on Verizon. From Macworld:
Because Apple Watch uses NumberShare on Verizon, it's not considered a month-to-month or prepaid device, so it's not so easy to skip a month of service. According to the Verizon representative I spoke to, I have two options:

- Suspend my Apple Watch service for up to 90 days at a time. This will cost me $10 a month, so that's not really an option.

- De-activate the watch completely. That will wipe it from my account and bill. However, I will need to pay a $25 activation fee once I decide to reinstate service. That's a recurring change. That means Verizon will essentially charge me for two and half months service every time I turn it off and on again.
Like Verizon, AT&T charges $25, while Sprint charges $30. T-Mobile no longer charges activation fees, so it may be more affordable to cancel and reinstate service if you're a T-Mobile subscriber.

On AT&T and Verizon, though, that $25 re-activation fee is the cost of two months of service, or close to it, when taxes and fees are included, meaning it's not really worthwhile to start and stop service if you're going to do it more than once or twice a year.

Macworld was also told that if he stopped and started service he could run into problems when attempting to reactivate the watch, but it's not entirely clear why.

With the three-month grace period, most Apple Watch owners have likely learned whether or not the $10-$15 per month fees are worth the freedom of an always-on wrist-worn cellular connection. Neither Apple nor the carriers in the United States were fully upfront about the additional service fees and taxes and the hassle involved with deactivation/reactivation, though, so there are bound to be some users who will feel tricked when the first full Series 3 bill comes in.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 Costs More Than $10/Month on Most Carriers, Can't Be Reactivated Without Fees

Reactions: ashley.s

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I was really exited about getting my son an AW3-LTE until I found out what the carriers were charging, or charging at all.

It's complete and unadulterated highway robbery... it's the SAME number and the SAME data plan you're already paying for. What the hell is it costing them?!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Thanks for reminding me my T-Mobile trial is over. I used the feature literally once, when I first activated it just to try it.

The problem is the number of times where I will go somewhere without my phone is pretty close to zero. Running is about the only real use case, and I'm not going to pay $10 a month for that.

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2014
NewBrunswick, Canada
So you can make test phone calls when pretending to paddle board while battling not falling over in front of millions of people watching.

So basically its something you use at a party to show off and then never again because its far easier to just make a call on the phone rather then talking to your wrist like some sort of spy movie.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
With the AT&T example posted, $2.89 of the total fees is nothing more than the company charging the customer what the state and feds are charging them. As a customer of Verizon, I am not opposed to paying a small fee, not to mention the state and gubmint taxes. I dislike all the extra fees that AT&T, Verizon and the like through in, as if they are thrust upon them and they have no choice.

I am counting on my fellow watch buyers to let the carrier hear about their disdain for the fee gouging. With enough pressure, I think the big carriers will come down in price.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I was really exited about getting my son an AW3-LTE until I found out what the carriers were charging, or charging at all.

It's complete and unadulterated highway robbery... it's the SAME number and the SAME data plan you're already paying for. What the hell is it costing them?!

The extra profits from all the people that have to have this watch... and will pay anyway.

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2014
NewBrunswick, Canada
I can’t say for sure, but I know it works great when I’m in the middle of the lake on my Jetski!

Seems like an incredibly niche use.
[doublepost=1513631534][/doublepost]
The same kind of reasons that many people like buying Apple products. Some appreciate the new technology and others continue to yell 'get off my lawn.'

Its not really new though. You've been able to buy wristwatches with Android and a cellular modem in them off ebay for years now.

Reactions: sdz and Aston441

enrincon89

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2014

I don’t think it’s the same number.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Aren’t these kind of charges pretty standard in the US? By that I mean if you add an iPad to your account, you get these type of charges?

I’m not sure this is an issue with Watch plans, and more a symptom of the overall mobile network charging scheme that exists in the US.

For comparison, the service is £5 including taxes in the U.K. after 6 months free. Even that is too high to be honest, it should be included in your mobile contract for free (and just use part of your data allowance)

Auhim

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2017
Why does a wristwatch even need LTE???
Real world answer: People who run long distances and don't want to carry their (increasingly larger) smartphones with them, but must have a method of communication with them for safety reasons.

For example, I run multiple marathons a year and am training year round. I go on long runs all the time. I also live in the middle of a very large non-pedestrian-focused city with a lot of drivers who are generally oblivious to pedestrians, and have had several close calls over the years. Additionally, I'm an asthmatic and while problems are rare–there's always the threat of something bad happening. I have to have a way to call in case of an emergency. For people like me having a watch that can do emergency calls (or allow you to receive messages while you're on a 3+ hour run just in case someone else is having an emergency worth cutting your run short for) without having to carry a large device with you is very appealing.

Edit: Clearly this isn't a need that isn't covered by a phone. It is, however, a substantial quality of life improvement for some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.