Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new Apple Watch Series 3 models support LTE and UMTS connectivity, but on T-Mobile, LTE connection speeds won't be available. The carrier is limiting the Apple Watch to a maximum speed of 512kb/s, which is more like a 3G connection than an LTE connection.

The speed limitation is noted in T-Mobile's fine print, which says the maximum wearables speed is 512kb/s. It's also noted on the pre-order page when adding an Apple Watch Series 3 to your cart.

tmobileapplewatchlimitedspeeds-800x605.jpg

At issue is T-Mobile's ONE plan, which limits both tethering and all wearable devices to 512kb/s. While most users are unlikely to be streaming video or doing other tasks that require high connectivity speeds on the Apple Watch, the Apple Watch is also unlikely to be a data hog, so it's unclear why T-Mobile has this limitation in place.

A T-Mobile representative told MacRumors reader Tony that its "High Speed Data with paired DIGITS" plan would provide 4G LTE data. DIGITS is priced at $25 per month without autopay, and $20 per month with Autopay.

No other major carrier in the United States, including Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T appears to be throttling Apple Watch speeds with their standard unlimited plans.

All four of the carriers are charging the same $10 per month fee to add an Apple Watch to an existing iPhone plan, and each one is offering a limited time promotion that waives monthly fees for the first three months.

The LTE Apple Watch Series 3 models became available for pre-order early this morning, with new devices slated to arrive on Friday, September 22, the official launch date for the device.

Update: T-Mobile CEO John Legere says T-Mobile has changed its policy. The company will now offer unlimited 4G LTE on the Apple Watch Series 3.

The Apple Watch Series 3 plan on @TMobile will be $10/m for unlimited 4G LTE. Thanks for your feedback. We always listen & act! #uncarrier pic.twitter.com/LqsGJ6X6xq - John Legere (@JohnLegere) September 16, 2017

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 Limited to 3G-Like Speeds on T-Mobile [Update: Now 4G LTE]

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is going to be bad for battery life.

If the device needs to transfer a chunk of data, it's best to power on the radio, transfer it as quickly as possible (even if it's a tiny amount) and shut off the radio again.

Throttling to 512kbps may not make a noticeable difference because the watch doesn't use that much data, but having to keep the radio powered up longer because those small transfers take time is going to hurt battery life.

T-Mobile shouldn't be doing this.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
$10 is too much. And for something that will use little data, why limit at all? Sounds like a carrier move to me. Though, looking at the bigger picture, neither are a big deal. Anyone getting a carrier watch is already aware of extra fees.

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
I'm both disappointed T-Mobile couldn't beat the other carrier's $10/month price point, and also disappointed with the 3G speeds. Come on T-Mobile - you can do better!

Reactions: zahuh

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Personally I think this makes sense from TMobile's perspective. 512kb down is plenty fast for music / streaming. This prevents someone using the watch as a tethering device for their computer, which I am sure someone is going to figure out how to do shortly after launch.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Going to third tier tmobile is like stepping into a sewer. Not sure how you tmobile fans put up with it.

If you haven’t used T-Mobile over the past two years you have no idea what you’re talking about. They have gotten so much better. My coverage is better than AT&T in my area and as good as Verizon. Speeds are as good or better than the competition too. T-Mobile isn’t a crap network at all anymore.

This watch data throttling is still a **** move and I’m disappointed and will be sending feedback to T-Mobile.
[doublepost=1505499431][/doublepost]
Personally I think this makes sense from TMobile's perspective. 512kb down is plenty fast for music / streaming. This prevents someone using the watch as a tethering device for their computer, which I am sure someone is going to figure out how to do shortly after launch.

No. They won’t be able to. Apple locks their software down and I’m not aware of an Apple Watch jailbreak that would potentially allow it.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
... I can literally watch HighDef YouTube on my laptop with 512k down... What are you possible doing on your watch that would make you notice a throttle like that?
Uhh, I’m not sure what kind of 512 Kbps connection you have, but that’s barely enough for 360p (and that’s if there is absolutely nothing else going through the network). I know this from experience because my home connection is capped at 512 Kbps. Streaming music, depending on audio quality of course, can go through fine.

(For anyone wondering why, my house is in a rural area covered by DSL only and basically falls into a crack between areas of better bandwidth. Physically, we probably shouldn’t even be able to get DSL.)

Psypher

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
I'm not sure what the other carriers are doing, but T-Mobile is using their Data with Paired Digits plan. This plan has always been limited to 512kb/s. Can this be mitigated by opting for their "High Speed Data with Paired Digits" plan? It is $25/month or $20 with Autopay. It also qualifies for Kickback so if you use less than 2GB/month then it ends up being $10/month for high speed LTE.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011

Dont argue logic to speed snobs and apologists!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.