Apple's 2019 Event Plans: New Products and Software Coming in September

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In an average year, Apple holds three to four events. There's usually a spring event in March, the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, a September event that's focused on iPhone and Apple Watch, and sometimes an October event if there are iPads or Macs expected in the fall.

In this guide, we're keeping track of all of the Apple events that are on the horizon and what we're expecting to see at each one, so make sure to check back in regularly.

[​IMG]

September Event

Apple holds an event every September that's used to unveil new iPhones and Apple Watch models. This year's event is set to take place on Tuesday, September 10 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

2019 iPhones

This year, we're expecting three iPhones, much like the 2018 lineup. Rumors suggest there will be two OLED models (XS and XS Max successors) and one LED model (XR successor), with no significant design changes, though there may be a new matte glass back and new colors for the next-generation iPhone XR. We're also expecting a more durable glass body that's resistant to shattering and better waterproofing.

Face ID is expected to feature a wider-angle camera so it will work from more angles, including flat on a table, and new photo and video capabilities are expected.

The iPhone XS and XS Max successors will feature a new triple-lens camera that could offer ultra-wide angle shots for the first time, while the iPhone XR will use a new dual-lens camera system. There were a few mixed rumors indicating Apple might use USB-C for the new iPhones, but it's ultimately looking like the company plans to stick with Lightning.

We can also expect an A13 chip along with faster LTE and WiFi, bigger batteries, and a nifty new bilateral wireless charging feature that will let the 2019 iPhones wirelessly charge other devices (like the AirPods with wireless charging case).

We don't know what Apple is planning to call its 2019 iPhone lineup yet given that there's no obvious follow-up to the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR names, so most rumors refer to these devices as the "2019 iPhones" at the current time. That said, iPhone XI, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone XT are all names we've heard bandied about.

Apple Watch Series 5

Rumors suggest the Apple Watch Series 5 will feature new ceramic and titanium casing designs, perhaps suggesting a return of the Apple Watch Edition alongside the usual aluminum and stainless steel casing options. Aside from that, we don't know a lot about what to expect from the Apple Watch in 2019.

New health features have also been rumored for years, such as non-invasive blood glucose monitoring. A micro-LED display is a possibility, as are solid-state buttons.

Apple Tag

Apple is working on an "Apple Tag" that would compete with products like Tile, offering up Bluetooth tracking for items like keys, wallets, cameras, and more. Apple Tags will integrate into the Find My app and will take advantage of offline tracking capabilities. There's no word on when the Apple Tag will launch, but it could come this fall.

October Event?

Along with its traditional September event to unveil new iPhones and Apple Watch models, Apple also sometimes holds a second fall event in October to unveil even more new products. It's not entirely clear if that's going to happen this year, but it's a possibility. If so, we could see new Macs and iPads at this event.

Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR

Apple at WWDC unveiled its new modular Mac Pro and Apple Pro Display XDR, both of which are aimed at creative professionals. The two new devices are set to launch this fall, though a specific target launch date hasn't yet been announced. If Apple does hold a second fall event, that's perhaps when we could see the new Mac Pro and display debut, but these could also potentially come in September, or they may not even need a second public showing before launch.

16-inch MacBook Pro

The MacBook Pro already received a refresh in 2019, but there are rumors suggesting a second fall update might be in the works. For the MacBook Pro, Apple is said to be working on a new 16-inch to 16.5-inch machine that will have slimmer bezels and would be a premium machine sold alongside the existing models.

iPad Pro

Apple will refresh the iPad Pro lineup with updated processors in 2019 and cameras, though no other updates are expected at this time. A more substantial update will be introduced in 2020.

10.2-inch iPad

Apple is working on a new version of the low-cost iPad which will see a size increase, measuring in at 10.2 inches instead of 9.7 inches. Not much else is known about the new low-cost tablet, which will be sold alongside the iPad Air and iPad Pro.

New Apple TV

Code found in an internal build of iOS 13 references a new Apple TV 11,1 model, suggesting Apple is working on an updated Apple TV. Little is known about the new device, but it could feature an A12 processor. There's no word on when we can expect a release, but it's possible this new Apple TV will debut at a fall Apple event.

More Rumors

Apple has other new products in the works, such as updated iPad Pro models, a 16-inch MacBook Pro, and more, but we don't know when these might be announced.

These upcoming products will be added to this guide as we learn more about Apple's events planned throughout the year, but you can find more details in our upcoming Apple products guide for 2019.

Guide Feedback

Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here.

Article Link: Apple's 2019 Event Plans: New Products and Software Coming in September

2. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Hah, even iOS devices are going to be relegated to the sidelines like the Mac in favor of the new hotness: boring services revenue. Please Apple, don't become a boring company. Leave that to Elon Musk.

3. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Apple promised a new Mac Pro this year.

Where is it?

4. lunarworks macrumors 68000

Best guess is the World Wide Developers Conference.

5. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

i would really love it if they at least hinted about a new apple display... eh

6. Red Oak, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019

Red Oak macrumors regular

Intense navel gazing. Lineup of politically correct, no violence, no cursing, bland video content. iPad and iPad mini speed bumps. New iPod. News subscription service

Colorful Spring watch band collection

Very exciting stuff. Apple is firing on all cylinders

7. Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

Translation:
    Fluff.
    Fluff.
    Emojis.
    Reheated leftovers.

So nothing for professional computer users yet again.
    What a surprise.

Meanwhile, my new hackintosh is working like a powerhouse dream.

8. DonnaUGI macrumors newbie

DonnaUGI

I wish Apple would fix the Daylight Saving bug. Support hasn't bee able to make it stick. Guess they are too busy working on a emojis.

9. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Apple, the service company. This tells me they are on the short stick.

10. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Same here! I really wanted a new Mac Pro after owning a 2006 and 2009 Mac Pro but the processors and especially the GPUs in them were hot garbage. I can't believe that building your own computer for 1/4th the price would get you a better performing computer than a 'legit' Apple Mac computer.

The Hackintosh has easily been my favourite computer and one that's given me the most use. I've had it for 4 years now and I still don't have any plans to upgrade any time soon OTHER than the GPU (would love a GTX 1070 or something better, but my 980 is still more than adequate).

11. ChrisMoBro, Mar 12, 2019

ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

If it's anything like all their recent events, we can expect a lot of disappointment.

12. fumi2014 macrumors regular

Netflix clone - Boring. Newspaper & magazine subscription - Boring.
    I don't think I'll even bother watching it.

13. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Apple gives virtual reality a different meaning.

14. maxfromdenmark macrumors regular

maxfromdenmark

I wish to see any product that Steve Jobs would be proud of it.

15. millerlite macrumors regular

millerlite

It would've been nice to see a refresh of Apple TV at this event. Kind of a missed opportunity.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

We? You can speak for yourself, I always look forward to these types of events, because generally, we really never know what to expect, and any hardware is merely a bonus for an event that may not necessarily be solely focused on hardware like the fall keynote is. Try staying open minded, that way you don’t set yourself up for disappointment for something that’s not guaranteed.

17. AngerDanger, Mar 12, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I think it's pretty obvious what to expect! The "w" in the invite is alluding to a happy customer curled up, enjoying subscription-based television! Eye Twitch Crazy Smile Emoji.gif

ShowTimeInvite.gif

The event that hasn’t happened yet?

18. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

What?

How can you say that with a straight face on THIS website knowing that a plethora of articles written about the keynotes typically feature almost everything about them prior to.

19. pmore macrumors regular

pmore

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There isn’t any hardware guaranteed to be launching in this event, we don’t know specifically what/when will launch regarding the AirPods, iPad mini, iPod, etc. There’s nothing slated to launch for this specific keynote, again, any hardware is merely a bonus, aside from services side of things for this keynote. Fall keynotes, we obviously can expect more hardware given their tradition.

21. imageWIS macrumors 65816

How DARE you question their COURAGE?!? The courage to rip off their clients! The courage to make less and less reliable hardware at more and more absurd prices! The courage to make 'Pro' products that are useless for actual working professionals! The courage to make each MacOS iteration that much worse than the previous one!

I ask again, How dare you question their courage?!?

22. NOV macrumors 6502

NOV

Maybe better directly go to 14.

23. pmore macrumors regular

pmore

Why's that? I hope it will be less bloated.

24. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Cosmosent

If AAPL was being run by an Average Joe, AAPL would focus on ONE thing & ONE thing ONLY for it's Video Steaming Service ... High-Bit-Rate 1080p "Live Sports" !

AND, that Average Joe's "strategy" would generate more Excitement & Enthusiasm than any "copy-cat" service AAPL will announce on March 25th !

25. PotatoLeekSoup macrumors regular

Subscribe to paywalls for social justice WaPo and NYT?

Hard nooo...