Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's 2020 Event Plans: New Products and Software Coming in 2020

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an average year, Apple holds three to four events. There's usually a spring event in March, the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, a September event that's focused on iPhone and Apple Watch, and sometimes an October event if there are iPads or Macs expected in the fall.

In this guide, we're keeping track of all of the Apple events that are on the horizon and what we're expecting to see at each one, so make sure to check back in regularly.

No Early 2020 Event

Apple's first event of each new year typically happens in the spring, usually in March. We were expecting an event in March, perhaps on March 31, but the global health crisis delayed Apple's plans and there was no spring event.

Apple introduced a new MacBook Air and new iPad Pro models via press release in March, and debuted the 2020 iPhone SE via press release in April.

WWDC

Apple held the 2020 WWDC event in a digital only capacity and unveiled iOS 14, iPadOS 14, macOS Big Sur, tvOS 14, and watchOS 7, but no new hardware was announced. Apple did, however, share its future plans for Arm-based Macs, and the first machine is expected to launch in late 2020.

September 2020 Event

Apple held an event on Tuesday, September 15, unveiling the new Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch SE, iPad Air, and eighth-generation iPad.

The new 2020 iPhone lineup was not unveiled and may instead come at an event set to be held later in the year, perhaps in October.

October 2020

Apple held a second fall event on Tuesday, October 13. This event saw the launch of the iPhone 12 models and the HomePod mini, along with Apple's MagSafe Charger and accessories.

November 2020

Apple held a third fall event on November 12, 2020 that saw the company introduce the first Apple Silicon chip, the M1, along with the first Macs that are equipped with the M1 chip. The MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini were refreshed with Apple's M1 Apple Silicon chip. Apple also introduced macOS Big Sur.

We are not expecting any additional events in 2020, and it's likely that the M1 Macs were Apple's final 2020 product release. That said, there are still AirTags and AirPods Studio that we're awaiting. These products could launch in 2020 via press release, but it's more likely Apple is holding these until 2021.

Upcoming Products

All of these products are expected to start coming out in 2021, but there are no concrete release dates for them as of yet.

AirTags

Apple is working on an "AirTag" that will compete with products like Tile, offering up Bluetooth tracking for items like keys, wallets, cameras, and more. AirTags will integrate into the Find My app and will take advantage of offline tracking capabilities. Recent rumors have suggested AirTags could be introduced alongside new iPhones.

AirPods Studio

Apple is rumored to be working on high-end over-ear Bluetooth headphones with an all-new design and superior sound quality, which may be called "AirPods Studio." There may be two versions in development, a premium model with leather-like fabrics and a fitness-focused model with lighter, breathable materials. Detachable ear cups and headband padding may be included, which would allow these components to be swapped out. The headphones are expected to feature Active Noise Cancellation like the AirPods Pro. Apple is targeting a 2020 launch date, and pricing could be around $350.

New 16-inch MacBook Pro

Apple refreshed the 13-inch MacBook Pro in May, adding scissor switch keyboards and a new 32GB maximum RAM option, but there are also rumors that a new 16-inch MacBook Pro will be released in 2020, and it could feature a mini-LED display. It's not clear if the ongoing health crisis will affect Apple's plans, however, and the rumored mini-LED MacBook Pro could be delayed until 2021.

Refreshed iMac

Apple refreshed the 27-inch iMac in August, but there are still rumors of a 23 to 24-inch iMac with "iPad Pro design language" and thinner bezels similar to the bezels on the Pro Display XDR, which could come in late 2020 or early 2021. This iMac is also expected to have an Apple Silicon chip and a custom-designed Apple GPU.

Apple TV

Apple is working on a new version of the Apple TV with an updated processor and a redesigned Apple TV remote that could have a Find My-like feature that allows the remote to be tracked down when it's lost within the house. The new Apple TV is expected to launch in 2021. There could be two variants, one with an A12 chip and one with an A14X chip with Apple allegedly working towards console-level games for Apple Arcade. Apple is said to be planning to introduce new Apple TV models in 2021.

2020 Product Refreshes and Announcements So Far

Apple in March started releasing new 2020 products, with a list of the new and refreshed devices below.
Guide Feedback

Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here.

Article Link: Apple's 2020 Event Plans: New Products and Software Coming in 2020

Last edited:
Reactions: MacLawyer

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Rumors have said that Apple won't include these announcements in the event because of its focus on services, but it's still possible we'll hear a few words about them, and if not, Apple could choose to release all of these updates shortly after the event via press release.
Hah, even iOS devices are going to be relegated to the sidelines like the Mac in favor of the new hotness: boring services revenue. Please Apple, don't become a boring company. Leave that to Elon Musk.

Red Oak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2011
Intense navel gazing. Lineup of politically correct, no violence, no cursing, bland video content. iPad and iPad mini speed bumps. New iPod. News subscription service

Colorful Spring watch band collection

Very exciting stuff. Apple is firing on all cylinders

Last edited:

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Translation:
Fluff.
Fluff.
Emojis.
Reheated leftovers.

So nothing for professional computer users yet again.
What a surprise.

Meanwhile, my new hackintosh is working like a powerhouse dream.

Same here! I really wanted a new Mac Pro after owning a 2006 and 2009 Mac Pro but the processors and especially the GPUs in them were hot garbage. I can't believe that building your own computer for 1/4th the price would get you a better performing computer than a 'legit' Apple Mac computer.

The Hackintosh has easily been my favourite computer and one that's given me the most use. I've had it for 4 years now and I still don't have any plans to upgrade any time soon OTHER than the GPU (would love a GTX 1070 or something better, but my 980 is still more than adequate).

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If it's anything like all their recent events, we can expect a lot of dissapointment.

We? You can speak for yourself, I always look forward to these types of events, because generally, we really never know what to expect, and any hardware is merely a bonus for an event that may not necessarily be solely focused on hardware like the fall keynote is. Try staying open minded, that way you don’t set yourself up for disappointment for something that’s not guaranteed.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
We? You can speak for yourself, I always look forward to these types of events, because generally, we really never know what to expect, and any hardware is merely a bonus for an event that may not necessarily be solely focused on hardware like the fall keynote is. Try staying open minded, that way you don’t set yourself up for disappointment for something that’s not guaranteed.

What?

How can you say that with a straight face on THIS website knowing that a plethora of articles written about the keynotes typically feature almost everything about them prior to.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
keynotes typically feature almost everything about them prior to.

There isn’t any hardware guaranteed to be launching in this event, we don’t know specifically what/when will launch regarding the AirPods, iPad mini, iPod, etc. There’s nothing slated to launch for this specific keynote, again, any hardware is merely a bonus, aside from services side of things for this keynote. Fall keynotes, we obviously can expect more hardware given their tradition.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Intense navel gazing. Lineup of politically correct, no violence, no cursing, bland video content. iPad and iPad mini speed bumps. New iPod. News subscription service

Colorful Spring watch band collection

Very exciting stuff. Apple is firing on all cylinders

How DARE you question their COURAGE?!? The courage to rip off their clients! The courage to make less and less reliable hardware at more and more absurd prices! The courage to make 'Pro' products that are useless for actual working professionals! The courage to make each MacOS iteration that much worse than the previous one!

I ask again, How dare you question their courage?!?

Cosmosent

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
If AAPL was being run by an Average Joe, AAPL would focus on ONE thing & ONE thing ONLY for it's Video Steaming Service ... High-Bit-Rate 1080p "Live Sports" !

AND, that Average Joe's "strategy" would generate more Excitement & Enthusiasm than any "copy-cat" service AAPL will announce on March 25th !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.