Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iad_gallery_banners.jpg

As reported by The Loop, Apple has reached a milestone in its iAd mobile advertising push, with its 100th ad campaign having rolled out with content from real estate company Coldwell Banker.
The campaign began in late March and so far, the results are glowing. [Coldwell Banker chief marketing office Michael] Fischer said the iAd garnered and average of 11 pages viewed per visit; average user engagement time of more than one minute; tap rates 5 times higher than average online banner ad click-through rates; and conversion rates four times higher than online display and search ads.
It is unclear from the report whether the figure of 100 iAd campaigns includes iAds for Developers, a lower-cost option that allows App Store developers to advertise in other apps with a basic ad format, although presumably these are not included in the total.

Apple earlier this year sliced the buy-in fee for major advertisers in half from $1 million to $500,000, hoping to draw in new advertisers as the company has sought to increase fill rates amid exploding device sales and developer adoption that have dramatically increased the number of available ad slots.

Just last month, Apple released an iAd Gallery app for iOS devices, featuring some of the campaigns that have made appearances in the iAd program.

Article Link: Apple's iAd Program Reaches 100 Campaigns

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I guess the lesson learned by Apple is that it's easier for Google to come up with a mobile OS than it is for Apple to come up with a profitable ad system. :D

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I'm happy to hear that. As a developer with iAds i can tell you the revenue is not interesting for a small app. I really which Apple would go global with iAds because then payouts would be much better than they are now.

BettBee

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
Make money by creating better apps, not from annoying customers

iAds must die. When I download a free app as a way to evaluate whether I'll buy the full version, iAds is a definite negative indicator. The ads are annoying and intrusive, and advertise horrible companies that I wouldn't patronize unless my life literally depended on it. I view a developer depending on iAds for revenue as a sign of weakness, and when I see this I look elsewhere for paid apps.

:cool:

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

BettBee said:
iAds must die. When I download a free app as a way to evaluate whether I'll buy the full version, iAds is a definite negative indicator. The ads are annoying and intrusive, and advertise horrible companies that I wouldn't patronize unless my life literally depended on it. I view a developer depending on iAds for revenue as a sign of weakness, and when I see this I look elsewhere for paid apps.

:cool:

Are you serious? You judge a company by their ads? You need to get out more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.