Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has introduced a new "Shot on iPhone" campaign called "One Night on iPhone 7" that will be on display in 25 countries starting today.

apple-one-night-shanghai.jpg
Jennifer Bin sought to show a different perspective of Shanghai

Apple enlisted a group of photographers to capture photos on one night--November 5, 2016--to showcase the low-light capabilities of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus cameras. The photographers traveled around the world, ranging from the clubs of Johannesburg in South Africa to the rooftops of Shanghai in China.
Some of the photographers tackled extreme climates in search of the perfect shot. Chicago-based photographer Reuben Wu ventured to Java, Indonesia to photograph the 130 active volcanoes, using an iPhone 7 attached to a drone to capture breathtaking views of Gunung Karang's lava flow after dark. Ruairidh McGlynn traveled to Iceland to photograph the foreboding terrain of the Arctic, traveling overnight by dog sled.
The photos will presumably be displayed on billboards and other advertising mediums in a number of cities around the world.

A collection of seven photos in the campaign can be downloaded from the Apple Newsroom.

Article Link: Apple's 'One Night on iPhone 7' Ad Campaign on Display in 25 Countries Starting Today

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Tastefully done.

But serious question, can't most high end smartphones accomplish this?
Is the camera what really separates iPhone 7 apart, or the slick advertising campaign.

Reactions: Avieshek

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Tastefully done.

Is the camera what really separates iPhone 7 apart, or the slick advertising campaign.
Doesn't every smartphone company tout their camera in advertising as that's about the only thing left to get people to upgrade? Are people really buying new phones because the bezels are smaller or they place it on a mat to charge it?

Reactions: MathersMahmood

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I wonder how successful these experiential advertisements really are. It seems since iPhone 7's launch, there's been lots of advertising, but uptake of the device hasn't matched or kept up this time round. Could pseudo iPhone 6SS be the actual problem? Bring on an all new ceramic glass iPhone. NOW!

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I'd be curious to know what equipment they used to capture the pictures (The article mentioned a drone for one shot). I have the 7+ and still can't get a decent shot in low-light situations by simply holding the phone. Normally I bust out the Galaxy S6 I use for work in those situations. Not an android or samsung fan, but in my experience they are superior to the iPhone when it comes to this.

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
Phones are like PC's for the average consumer. For their needs even one that's a few years old is adequate. Looking like the mobile phone market is saturated on the whole.

chinesedemo

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2011
My iPhone 7 plus camera has been a terrible let down. I haven't taken so many poor photos in some time. Motion shots are extremely bad, just spent the holiday season at the Disney parks and the amount of fuzzy photos I have is epic.

Reactions: toph2toast

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Yup, good for you Apple. Keep pushing those crap-tastic cameras on your $700+ iPhones. I guess if that's the only real selling point you have in hardware. /s
Meanwhile the rest of the world is pushing the boundaries on what REAL phones can do.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Seeing P3-gamut photos on the iPhone's screen as you go is quite enjoyable. I never experienced wide(r) gamut screens before the iPhone so I didn't realise how much I was missing. I find situations where dynamic range is quite limited and still a problem though. All digital sensors struggle with this to some extent. But the problem is, you don't just need wide gamut screens but HDR screens to see the best representation of the captured image.

Dedicated cameras have had Adobe RGB or RAW storage for a long time but never very good screens on the back to show them off like the iPhone now has.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yup, good for you Apple. Keep pushing those crap-tastic cameras on your $700+ iPhones. I guess if that's the only real selling point you have in hardware. /s
Meanwhile the rest of the world is pushing the boundaries on what REAL phones can do.

Could you please explain in detail what the rest of the world is pushing boundaries for phones? I would love to read your response to that.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
The iPhone 7's camera is very good, but has shortcomings that have become a deal killer for me - namely the inability to take shots of moving targets, even in excellent lighting. It seems that it can't focus properly, or chooses a long shutter speed as if the lighting is bad. *If* it can grab the shot in time, it will likely be blurry. Not really sure what's causing it, but it's a documented issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7679123

Otherwise the camera is really really great.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Tastefully done.

Google Pixel and S7 Edge has as good or better photos. Where the iPhone 7 shines is taking 4k videos. I've read a few reviews that say the iPhone 7 takes the best video.

Reactions: toph2toast

Romy90210

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
See these cool, amazing, breathtaking ads... Runs to room to grab iPhone and take similar photos.. Only to realize how crappy and far from the truth these ads really are.. SMH... I Give Apple Cool points for trying tho...

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
See these cool, amazing, breathtaking ads... Runs to room to grab iPhone and take similar photos.. Only to realize how crappy and far from the truth these ads really are.. SMH... I Give Apple Cool points for trying tho...
Give a good photographer a terrible camera, and they'll still probably take better pictures than you with a $5000 DSLR.

DaIfoneboss

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Have had the best camera smartphones deemed by DxOmark (Edge Plus, S6, etc) and iPhone 7 doesnt take the best photos out there but imo it does take the best video defitnetly. Marques brownlee said that too for the 7 plus. Best camcorder out there on smartphone market atm with the telescopic lens combined w/4K video in decent to good lighting= just awesome. Cant wait till they add OIS in the 2nd camera this year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.