Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in July revived its classic Texas Hold'em game and released it on the iPhone, and as of today that game is also available on the iPad.

In the app's release notes, Apple says that Texas Hold'em can be played on the iPad, and Apple recommends playing it using Split View or Slide Over.

texas-hold-em-2-0-apple-800x413.jpg

Texas Hold'em comes to iPad--enjoy it full screen, or play it while you do something else using Split View or Slide Over.
Apple originally released the Texas Hold'em app as part of the App Store's 10th anniversary, which Apple celebrated in 2018. The updated version has been redesigned and rebuilt from the ground up with high-resolution graphics, new characters, and more challenging gameplay.

For those unfamiliar with Texas Hold'em, it's a poker variation that lets players bet and bluff their way through 10 gameplay locations like Las Vegas, Paris, and Macau. The updated version of Texas Hold'em is free to play and it supports up to eight players through WiFi or offline playback against 24 computer opponents.

Apple first introduced Texas Hold'em on the iPod in September 2006 before adding it to the iPhone when the App Store launched on July 11, 2008. The game was pulled from the App Store in November 2011 and it was unavailable until its 2019 return.

Texas Hold'em can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple's Reintroduced 'Texas Hold'em' Game Expands to iPad

Reactions: travis64

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
The updated version of Texas Hold'em is free to play and it supports up to eight players through WiFi or offline playback against 24 computer opponents.
To be clear (if I understand correctly), this game is not "free to play" in the way that term is commonly used. Normally that means, "free to download, and will wheedle and cajole you to spend money for a "large bag of rainbow stars" or whatnot.

Instead, this game actually free. No cost to download, no IAP.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Why not put it on Apple arcade? Haha
This was my first thought as well! However, upon thinking about it further, it makes sense. Apple Arcade is a family friendly subscription. There is no differentiation between ‘M’ and ‘E’ games at this time. A game that is all about gambling doesn’t exactly fit the bill then.

Quite OK with me since it’s a free game!

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
If there is an iPad version, that could mean a potential Mac App Store release for Catalina in the future

tekilla

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
Weird. I can’t find it
The deeplink from macrumors is for the U.S store and a manual search turns up no results for me

iPhone and iPad?

JediStarWars

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
I’m still shocked it’s a whopping 1.5Gb app considering it’s built by Apple.

1) It's super old. I remember having it on the iPad when it first came out. 2) It's full of video footage of your opponents. It was a trip down memory lane playing it again but it hasn't aged well. It's a little frustrating having to wait through all the video opponent "cut scenes" (I use the term lightly).

I never quite understood why they removed it in the first place... maybe because in the world of 8GB and 16GB iPads and iPhones, when everyone was complaining about photos filling up their phones, 1.5GB was a big chunk of change! :-D

lenonator

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
1) It's super old. I remember having it on the iPad when it first came out. 2) It's full of video footage of your opponents. It was a trip down memory lane playing it again but it hasn't aged well. It's a little frustrating having to wait through all the video opponent "cut scenes" (I use the term lightly).

I never quite understood why they removed it in the first place... maybe because in the world of 8GB and 16GB iPads and iPhones, when everyone was complaining about photos filling up their phones, 1.5GB was a big chunk of change! :-D

FYI - you don't have to wait through the video "scenes" - just tap the table to skip them.

Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.