Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yourmn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
United Kingdom
I don’t know why, but I’ve not been able to get Apps to update automatically in a long time.

I have everything turned on in settings, however I still have to go in and manually update each app.

Currently on iOS 11.2.6

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2D2937BB-89F8-49EF-A2D8-215C95FB84CF.jpeg
    2D2937BB-89F8-49EF-A2D8-215C95FB84CF.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 864

se99jmk

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
I don’t know why, but I’ve not been able to get Apps to update automatically in a long time.

I have everything turned on in settings, however I still have to go in and manually update each app.

Currently on iOS 11.2.6

Any ideas?

I’m a Product Manager for an iOS app, and sometime recently we learned that apps can have a phased rollout.

If an app decides to use phased rollout, it becomes MANUALLY available immediately, but AUTOMATIC downloads are spread out over 7 days (in case any issues crop up, the automatic updating can be frozen)

Took me a long time to figure this out, and now I’m in the habit of checking daily for updates!!

Reactions: max2 and Shirasaki

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I do not think automatic updates has worked properly for a long time, across the board. I posted here about it probably 4-6 months ago. Hopefully it is something Apple fixes in its new found focus on quality and bug fixing in the next iOS release (which I am totally in support of and think is way past due).

Reactions: max2 and ThrowerGB

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Yeah mine haven’t automatically updated in a while. I just make it a habit to check the app stor every once in a while, and it shows me which apps need updating.

Reactions: max2

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
So, is the phased rollout thing responsible for the same apps to be manually updated 2 even 3 times within a few days? Unless this is only happening to me. And it keeps happening.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I actually like this feature whenever it decides to work properly. I wish the app updates was similar to iOS software update rather than manual checking each day. I actually did a feedback suggestion to improve automatic app update though.

Reactions: SamGabbay

se99jmk

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
So, is the phased rollout thing responsible for the same apps to be manually updated 2 even 3 times within a few days? Unless this is only happening to me. And it keeps happening.

In theory if the developer releases 2-3 versions (all phased), then yes

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Automatic updates can be risky (update breaks the app or makes it worse). If an app is working fine, I say leave it be. Don't upgrade it - its always a gamble.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Hi,

I don’t think I have had issues with automatic updating.. my apps get updated when my phone is charging with wifi on.. but not otherwise, which I think is how it’s supposed to work.. I don’t know if they take a few days to get updated, but they do.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I turned on auto updates about a month ago. It’s been working to my expectations.

Apps won’t update immediately but periodically. They seem to happen overnight mostly while charging with Wi-Fi available.

This applies to my 2 iPads, iPhone and 2 AppleTVs.

Reactions: IGI2

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I prefer to not update the app when I don’t need to. Plus I know what “they are up to” instead of just blindly swallow “whatever they throw at you” like iOS update. So I turn off automatic update quite a while ago. But back in iOS 9 era, automatic update worked well.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Auto update .... actually I have a couple of issues on this. my prior 7+, my IPP, my Mini4, my ex's 7, etc...

First, iOS will tell you that there are X updates available. You go into the App Store and look and you do. But, if you refresh the Update page, you may have more! And if you look at the list of recently updated, there may be several that did auto update.

WTF?

If I just leave it alone and let iOS with Auto-update on decide when and what to update, the list of updates grows slowly and the list of pending just keeps getting bigger. Doesn't matter what device, they all exhibit this behavior. To make it even better, the behavior is similar but not exact.

Just don't get it. As a result I now check daily. I guess you can call this the iOS Auto Manual Update. ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I prefer to not update the app when I don’t need to. Plus I know what “they are up to” instead of just blindly swallow “whatever they throw at you” like iOS update. So I turn off automatic update quite a while ago. But back in iOS 9 era, automatic update worked well.

This isn’t a bad idea and I was of the same mindset for years however the release notes of rarely put the app in a bad light and obviously if there is a new bug they don’t even know about, not that they would put that in the release notes.

Only thing I miss is knowing about new features as soon as I download the app. I find myself reading back thru release notes on occasion.

I even went as far as setting my AppleTVs to automatically update tvOS since I would blindly do it day one anyway.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I’m a Product Manager for an iOS app, and sometime recently we learned that apps can have a phased rollout.

If an app decides to use phased rollout, it becomes MANUALLY available immediately, but AUTOMATIC downloads are spread out over 7 days (in case any issues crop up, the automatic updating can be frozen)

Took me a long time to figure this out, and now I’m in the habit of checking daily for updates!!

I had no idea this was possible but it makes perfect sense. I seem to have app update ocd (I hate the blue dots) so I check manually and then open/close the apps. Thanks for the info!

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I've never had auto-update on, so I can't comment on its efficacy.

I don't use it because, like others, I'm interested in reading the patch notes, as small as some of them are. In the past, there have also been some apps that had to disable a certain feature, so I wouldn't want to update that app until I found a suitable replacement (this was largely in the era before YouTube Red when I was using different apps to download videos directly from YouTube and cache them on the device so I could watch them on the plane, etc).

Reactions: dk001

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Auto update works for me when I charge my phone and it's connected to wifi.

However I still have the issue which has been going on since iOS 10 where I won't get the notification from the App Store after the apps have finished auto updating letting me know which apps have been updated.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Auto update works for me when I charge my phone and it's connected to wifi.

However I still have the issue which has been going on since iOS 10 where I won't get the notification from the App Store after the apps have finished auto updating letting me know which apps have been updated.

or that apps are ready for updating but no indicator until you refresh (manually) the app update screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.