Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reg88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Hi,
A few months ago I picked up a refurb 2018 MBP 13" qci7 16/256 and I had to return in within a week because it ran so hot (just chrome, firefox, etc -- not even with Photoshop, etc.) At the time I read here where people said everything from, "it's fine, they run hot" to "apple has a thermal issue in these models" so I wasn't sure what the real baseline was.

In comparison, my main laptop now is a 2015 13" i5/8/128 and I can use it on my leg for long time and it's warm, but never HOT. The 2018 13" was HOT and unusable on my lap after a 5-10 minutes.

I'm now looking at a 13" or 15" 2019 and I'm wondering if anyone can comment about the heat on these. Are the newer MBPs just hot by nature because of the high clock speeds and multi-cores and the days of working on your lap with shorts on or over? That heat is the new normal?

Or did Apple really have an issue with the 2018s and now the 2019 are back to "use on your lap without burns".

Thanks for any advice!

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I had a 2014 15" before, and now a 8 core 2019 one. I think the new one gets even hotter. It gets uncomfortably warm

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I can say a lot of things about this 2019 MBP, cool isn't a part of that. It's always hot, I even think the keyboard gets too warm. Nice in the winter though I guess.

Reactions: Mity

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
Hi,
A few months ago I picked up a refurb 2018 MBP 13" qci7 16/256 and I had to return in within a week because it ran so hot (just chrome, firefox, etc -- not even with Photoshop, etc.) At the time I read here where people said everything from, "it's fine, they run hot" to "apple has a thermal issue in these models" so I wasn't sure what the real baseline was.

In comparison, my main laptop now is a 2015 13" i5/8/128 and I can use it on my leg for long time and it's warm, but never HOT. The 2018 13" was HOT and unusable on my lap after a 5-10 minutes.

I'm now looking at a 13" or 15" 2019 and I'm wondering if anyone can comment about the heat on these. Are the newer MBPs just hot by nature because of the high clock speeds and multi-cores and the days of working on your lap with shorts on or over? That heat is the new normal?

Or did Apple really have an issue with the 2018s and now the 2019 are back to "use on your lap without burns".

Thanks for any advice!
I currently have the 2019 MBP 13" with i5 2.4GHz, 16GB, 1TB, and I have no problem with heat. My CPU is currently at 60°C, running Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on an external monitor, and Safari on MacOS on the internal screen. The fans are not audible in the current office environment. At home I use an eGPU to connect the external monitor and everything runs cooler.

My 2017 MBP 15" with dGPU was much hotter because of the dGPU which was always on with the external monitor. On the lap, the 15" also gets very hot when I watch YouTube videos. The 13" stays also cooler in this scenario. Maybe the i5 is generally cooler than the i7. I got the i5 after reading a lot that the i7 will not bring much more performance under sustained load, but I've never seen real numbers for this.

I'm happy with the 4 core i5 on my 2019 13", which is just a bit faster than the 2017 15" (of course, only for apps that don't use 3D graphics).

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I currently have the 2019 MBP 13" with i5 2.4GHz, 16GB, 1TB, and I have no problem with heat. My CPU is currently at 60°C, running Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on an external monitor, and Safari on MacOS on the internal screen. The fans are not audible in the current office environment. At home I use an eGPU to connect the external monitor and everything runs cooler.

My 2017 MBP 15" with dGPU was much hotter because of the dGPU which was always on with the external monitor. On the lap, the 15" also gets very hot when I watch YouTube videos. The 13" stays also cooler in this scenario. Maybe the i5 is generally cooler than the i7. I got the i5 after reading a lot that the i7 will not bring much more performance under sustained load, but I've never seen real numbers for this.

I'm happy with the 4 core i5 on my 2019 13", which is just a bit faster than the 2017 15" (of course, only for apps that don't use 3D graphics).

60ºc? And I thought 52-55 was bad in my 2017 13" TB... lol

spyros_mac

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2019
I have the 2019 15 inch 8core model and my only real issue is this, it gets very hot, very fast!

if you use it for casual things like internet browsing or youtube, Netflix, movies etc, it does not consume more than 2-3 % of the CPU, so it stays cool.
the moment you will use a more intensive app (we are talking about 5-10%) or you will connect it to an external screen, it will get loud (fan noise) and hot.

in comparison, my old 13 inch MacBook Pro 2015, even when I was pushing it to more than 50-60% of CPU it stayed quiet and the heat was tolerable.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I have the 2019 15 inch 8core model and my only real issue is this, it gets very hot, very fast!

if you use it for casual things like internet browsing or youtube, Netflix, movies etc, it does not consume more than 2-3 % of the CPU, so it stays cool.
the moment you will use a more intensive app (we are talking about 5-10%) or you will connect it to an external screen, it will get loud (fan noise) and hot.

in comparison, my old 13 inch MacBook Pro 2015, even when I was pushing it to more than 50-60% of CPU it stayed quiet and the heat was tolerable.

I have the base model 2019 15" and it gets hot too. Very fast.

I wish I had gotten the 8 core just for fun lol but I felt like it would just be a waste of money.

I wonder how the performance is given these machines gets so hot. I feel like we aren't getting the most out of them unfortunately.

Australianapplefan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2019
Australia
hey everyone new to MacRumors I got the 2019 i9 8 core 15 inch mine gets really hot as well so I got on to apple support and they told me to delete my history cause there might be background things running causing it to get hot.
so I did and it fixed the problem until I sign into to many websites then it starts getting hot again so I just keep deleting my history, try that and see if it makes a difference

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
hey everyone new to MacRumors I got the 2019 i9 8 core 15 inch mine gets really hot as well so I got on to apple support and they told me to delete my history cause there might be background things running causing it to get hot.
so I did and it fixed the problem until I sign into to many websites then it starts getting hot again so I just keep deleting my history, try that and see if it makes a difference
that is annoying and something you shouldn't have to do when buying a $2000+ laptop.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I totally agree it gets annoying that I have to do it in the first place but its the only thing that stops it from getting hot hopefully its a software issue and apple can fix it
it could be fixed with software where they can tweak how much resource background apps are running in osx, but if they gave couple mm thicker cooling this wouldn't happen.

Australianapplefan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2019
Australia
it could be fixed with software where they can tweak how much resource background apps are running in osx, but if they gave couple mm thicker cooling this wouldn't happen.
that's what I'm hoping they do. Is there anyway we can contact apple and let them know about it and see if they can do something or if they might be already working on it

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
what history? The browser history? I don't use Safari. Or the system cache and whatnot?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Nah, thats not it. My Mac runs hot because I use it. The slightest bit of system load and it's turning into a hotplate. It's really bad, the whole machine is a total disappointment for me.

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
60ºc? And I thought 52-55 was bad in my 2017 13" TB... lol
The 60°C are with external HDMI monitor connected through a Satechi multi-port Thunderbolt3 adapter, running Windows 10 in a Parallels virtual machine with Outlook open.

At home, with the eGPU and a 4k monitor connected I only get 50-54°C under the same conditions. With Visual Studio building a large solution and running regression tests, the temperature goes up to 82°C with the fans spinning up, too. But this seems OK for me: When the MacBook does some heavy work it is allowed to get hot and loud, in my opinion.

Overall, I'm really happy with this 13" MacBook (2.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD). During the several weeks I own it I also didn't have any T2 related issues that I'm aware of.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
have ya tried apple support and see what they say might be a hardware issue
I was under the impression that this is the state of the MacBook Pro. It's too thin and the Intel 45W CPUs are too much.

It's fine with minimal load, the CPU goes down to something between 50 and 60 degrees, but if I actually use it, the thing gets hot. I don't think it throttles or anything, it's just how it is.

I'll consider the Apple support if this is not how it should be. I'll try to figure that out...

Btw: it's much better when I use it alone, not connected to an external monitor. Probably because it's not using the AMD GPU then.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
as far as apple is concerned, as long as the cpu frequency don't drop below base clock under full load, the product is working as intended.

Australianapplefan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2019
Australia
I was under the impression that this is the state of the MacBook Pro. It's too thin and the Intel 45W CPUs are too much.

It's fine with minimal load, the CPU goes down to something between 50 and 60 degrees, but if I actually use it, the thing gets hot. I don't think it throttles or anything, it's just how it is.

I'll consider the Apple support if this is not how it should be. I'll try to figure that out...

Btw: it's much better when I use it alone, not connected to an external monitor. Probably because it's not using the AMD GPU then.
have ya done any video editing on it I'm just getting into that sort of stuff I hope mine don't overheat cause that's why I brought it for
[doublepost=1568721052][/doublepost]
as far as apple is concerned, as long as the cpu frequency don't drop below base clock under full load, the product is working as intended.
yeah your probably right when I start editing on it ill see how it goes and if not ill be back onto apple support

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
No, no idea about video editing. I'm a developer. I use it with multiple editors, tons of browsers and tabs, Virtual Machines etc.

I tried playing WoW Classic on it, but it's clearly not build for that.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
To be clear, mine does not overheat in a sense, that it shuts down or anything. It's just pretty loud all the time and it gets really warm if not hot on it's surface

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That's normal. The term 'overheating' gets thrown around a lot in a very subjective manner, which is entirely meaningless. The computer is only truly overheating if it shuts down to protect itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.