Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YPSteven

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
The past three iPhones I have purchased, I purchased at release (two preorders and one in store). So, I have never purchased a phone during the holiday season. I am looking at purchasing an iPhone X for myself and an iPhone 8 Plus for my wife. Will there be any deals upcoming at either retailers or with AT&T specifically that I should wait for or expect soon? I will be purchasing both phones on AT&T Next, likely paying my wife's 6S off and selling it or trading it in after we safely get everything transferred over.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
The X is a top of the line, flagship device in high demand that just became available 1 month ago. There is no reason there would be any discounts on it. Maybe the 8 since that's not selling well.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
Yes. AT&T is currently doing a buy one iPhone X/8/8+ get one iPhone 8/8+ free...but the free phone must be on a new phone line.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/att-bogo-offer/pcmcat1491229984460.c?id=pcmcat1491229984460

AT&T is also offering approximately 40% off the 64 ($549) and 256 ($699) gig X models for a 2 year agreement. But it will increase your line access fee to $50 if you have a discount on it - only while you are under contract. Kind of like the old days with subsidized phones.

You have to be a current customer and need to talk to the loyalty department to get the deal.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I was maybe thinking of leaving T-Mobile due to the $360 deposit they want on each iPhone X order ( for 2 new X's would be over $700 deposits ), even for me a loyal great credit customer, never once had a late payment in 5 years. Whereas with T-Mobile's other phones like the Note 8, and LG V30 are zero money down. Seems sort of outrageous they want $350+ down for the iPhone X, but ok with zero down for the Note 8. WTF ?

Wondering if I can go to ATT, get 2 new 64GB iPhone X's, and unlimited plan for the two phones, and keep it around $175 / month or less ?

Releck97

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
I purchased a 256gb iPhone X on the loyalty promotion through chat for $699. I am on unlimited plus, so $20 per phone. It is a subsidized plan with a 2 year commitment (yes, they exist). Free Defender case and earbuds, no upgrade fee or any other fees for that matter. No FAN, but it is still cheaper than my legacy plan due to the fact that I have two data hogs in my family. Phone is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I purchased a 256gb iPhone X on the loyalty promotion through chat for $699. I am on unlimited plus, so $20 per phone. It is a subsidized plan with a 2 year commitment (yes, they exist). Free Defender case and earbuds, no upgrade fee or any other fees for that matter. No FAN, but it is still cheaper than my legacy plan due to the fact that I have two data hogs in my family. Phone is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

That's an amazing deal

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Can you please tell me how you did this? I have two sons looking to get an iPhone X for Christmas.

Releck97

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Can you please tell me how you did this? I have two sons looking to get an iPhone X for Christmas.
Sure! Log into your account and call up chat. Ask the chat rep that you would like to chat with a Loyalty representative. They will probably ask why. Tell them you are looking at a new iPhone and are shopping around for the best deal. When you get a Loyalty rep., let them know what you're looking for. Here's my transcript from there:

Armando: Great news, I understand You're looking for offers for the iPhone X device, correct

Me: I have been an AT&T customer for many years but am looking at other options. I am interested in the iPhone X 256gb for XXX-XXX-XXXX. What can you offer me?

Me: I would like to pay upfront

Armando: Understood, allow me one minute to walk You through all the options.

Armando: What I can offer You, is the iPhone X 256GB for $699.99 on a 2 year commitment and I will go ahead and send You a free case and earphones, how does that sound?

Rick: Sounds pretty good Armando. Are there any fees or changes in fees associated with this offer?

Armando: I was able to see that You currently have the Unlimited Plus plan, so there would be no increase, You would still pay the same $20.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Sure! Log into your account and call up chat. Ask the chat rep that you would like to chat with a Loyalty representative. They will probably ask why. Tell them you are looking at a new iPhone and are shopping around for the best deal. When you get a Loyalty rep., let them know what you're looking for. Here's my transcript from there:

Armando: Great news, I understand You're looking for offers for the iPhone X device, correct

Me: I have been an AT&T customer for many years but am looking at other options. I am interested in the iPhone X 256gb for XXX-XXX-XXXX. What can you offer me?

Armando: What I can offer You, is the iPhone X 256GB for $699.99 on a 2 year commitment and I will go ahead and send You a free case and earphones, how does that sound?

Rick: Sounds pretty good Armando. Are there any fees or changes in fees associated with this offer?

Armando: I was able to see that You currently have the Unlimited Plus plan, so there would be no increase, You would still pay the same $20.

Ho ho ho. Merry Christmas! Thanks!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
that is utterly mind blowingly insane! Congratulations!

Intel modem or not, thats really good.

so you're just locked In for two years, no changes to plan, and you paid outright no financing plan?

been on ATT *FOREVER* could probably swing this, but just got a sim free today with a perfect build and screen and makes a difference in my ridiculously low reception apt otherwise id get all over it likely and play panel lottery at the Genius Bar which would be a struggle.

...Bit jealous! you win!

--

how did u think to find this out of curiosity?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

so you're just locked In for two years, no changes to plan, and you paid outright no financing plan?

santa-claus-animated-gif-6.gif

Huge shoutout to @Releck97 !!! Followed your script to a tee and...

Just got 2 iPhone X 256GB Space Grey for $699 each, charged to my credit card, no monthly payments, no change to Unlimited Plus plan, no fees at all, waived $45 x2 upgrade charges, even gave me $0 priority shipping. Two years locked to AT&T but I don't care, we're staying with them anyhow.

Merry Christmas!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
santa-claus-animated-gif-6.gif

Huge shoutout to @Releck97 !!! Followed your script to a tee and...

Just got 2 iPhone X 256GB Space Grey for $699 each, charged to my credit card, no monthly payments, no change to Unlimited Plus plan, no fees at all, waived $45 x2 upgrade charges, even gave me $0 priority shipping. Two years locked to AT&T but I don't care, we're staying with them anyhow.

Merry Christmas!

Doesn't even make sense to me why AT&T would offer it, but hallelujah!

that must be the sweetest feeling, being priced out by X and then reeling it back in

$300 cheaper than regular 64GB price, for 256. wowza. and $450 off total (since it goes for $1149)

---

Overseas people that pay ~$1300 USD for a 64 must be fuming right now over your deal!

$549 for a 64 aint shabby either. Almost worth giving the parents a ring and seeing if they want new iPhones

Reactions: boltjames

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Doesn't even make sense to me why AT&T would offer it, but hallelujah!

that must be the sweetest feeling, being priced out by X and then reeling it back in

$300 cheaper than regular 64GB price, for 256. wowza. and $450 off total.

So my wife and I both paid full $1250 price last month so it's a bit bittersweet, if I think about it I just forked over $3900 for iPhones, plus Applecare that's what, $4900. And I'm happy?

LOL. Very grateful that I got 2 of the 4 at almost half price so no complaints. AT&T has always been good to us going on 12 years now, rock solid service, and clearly they are interested in retaining customers and moving iPhone X's. Happy to take advantage.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
So my wife and I both paid full $1250 price last month so it's a bit bittersweet, if I think about it I just forked over $3900 for iPhones, plus Applecare that's what, $4900. And I'm happy?

LOL. Very grateful that I got 2 of the 4 at almost half price so no complaints. AT&T has always been good to us going on 12 years now, rock solid service, and clearly they are interested in retaining customers and moving iPhone X's. Happy to take advantage.

thats true! so u got another 2 for other people in your family?

Good deal!
and if you need to break ETF, you still come out ahead. especially since ETF gets reduced every month of completed service

I miss 2 year contracts. weird to say that but

$999+ Tim pricing legacy is meh

--

you almost got like a BOGO with a 2 year tied

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
thats true! so u got another 2 for other people in your family?

Good deal!
and if you need to break ETF, you still come out ahead. especially since ETF gets reduced every month of completed service

I miss 2 year contracts. weird to say that but

$999+ Tim pricing legacy is meh

you almost got like a BOGO with a 2 year tied

Yes, exactly. It's a throwback to the good ol' days of subsidies.

And now any time someone in this forum tells me that my $99 iPhone 5 wasn't really $99 because "you paid for it in your monthly bill anyway" I can tell them about tonight and how my bill hasn't gone up a penny because the carrier took a hit to keep my business. Just like 2009.

Reactions: thadoggfather

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.

I love AT&T. Last I checked my X was $200 off or something like that for loyalty (*I think*. Didn't even inquire it just applied). Let me see if they will bask in the holiday spirit and send me a free case..........'I desperately need one.

Releck97

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012

been on ATT *FOREVER* could probably swing this, but just got a sim free today with a perfect build and screen and makes a difference in my ridiculously low reception apt otherwise id get all over it likely and play panel lottery at the Genius Bar which would be a struggle.

...Bit jealous! you win!

--

how did u think to find this out of curiosity?
Thanks man! Slickdeals for the win!

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
What if I'm not on ATT ? Moving over from T-Mobile can I get these same $599 deals on the iPhone X ?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Update: I called this morning just to check on the status of my order and they offered me 2 free iPhone 8’s.

Seems that with the purchase of an iPhone X you get an iPhone 8 for free if you open a new phone line with AT&T. Couldn’t take advantage of it as I don’t have another family member to add to the plan but thought I’d let others know that if you, say, want to upgrade yourself to an iPhone X and get your 11 year old his/her first iPhone you can wind up with both an iPhone X 256GB and an iPhone 8 for $699.

Reactions: Seth Matthews
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.