Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buerkett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Chicago
Soooo... this is gonna be a long story...

Basically, as soon as the iPhone 5 became available, I ordered through AT&T. I ordered a White 64GB one. I wanted to have it shipped to my office because I had a friend of mine that got hers stolen when they were delivered to her house because she wasn't there. So I ordered it, then realized that they never actually asked for a shipping address.

I called them back and explained the situation. The girl cancelled my order for me over the phone and also put in a new order for me over the phone. I told her my work address and she said everything should be good to go.

I get an email saying that the order was for a BLACK 64GB iPhone 5 but that it was going to be sent to my home address... again. Still incorrect.

I called back again and spoke with two different AT&T-ers for about two hours. I was told that because an AT&T person put the order in that it couldn't be cancelled and that the phone HAD to be shipped to my house because it was the same as my billing address, something that is supposed to help protect against fraud supposedly.

Anyway...
We basically concluded that I would just call FedEx once I got the tracking number and just have them set it up for pickup at a FedEx location. I did that and had to pick up my phone in Skokie (I'm in Chicago, kind of a pain) last Friday. I got charged for it on Friday, but didn't activate it until Saturday mid-day.

Sooo today, I get a 64 Black iPhone 5 sent to me at work (which I was told was impossible btw). I've looked on my account and I have only been charged for it once, on Friday. I'm not sure what's going on or what to do. I was debating on giving it to my boyfriend because it's his birthday on Saturday but I know the phone is supposedly linked with my number already. So I wasn't sure how he would be able to activate it, if at all. I thought about selling it too but I don't know if I can do that either. I'm scared I will get charged for it at some point.

I think the best bet might just be to walk into AT&T and just say "I want to return this" and nothing more, and just see what happens. Any suggestions, thoughts? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I just want to note that I have gotten emails about the Black iPhone but not the white. When I look at AT&T orders online, it just shows the WHITE one and nothing more.

Last edited:

njvisitor

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
I'm pretty sure they're going to find out and charge you the full, non-subsidized price and/or ask for it back. It's not exactly a small sum of money, and they're not exactly a non-penny-pinching company.

Just email them and explain what happened.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
Honestly didn't read your entire story, but from others who have posted this, they will eventually figure out their mistake once its been activated and you will probably be charged full retail price for it. So if you like to gamble, I'd say keep it. If you aren't a gambler return it and let someone who never got theirs get it the right way.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
I'm impressed that you were able to cancel an order, submit a new order and get the new order on the 21st. You would figure that your order was pushed to the back of the line since it was setup as a new order.

Do with it what you will. You have to be prepared for the consequences, but other than that its totally up to you.

Dtp8513

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
I had two iPhone 4S sent to me last year. I'm sure it happens, although probably not frequently

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
No such thing as a free lunch, return it asap. Inventory tracking is too good these days to get away with a free $900 lunch.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Yeah, keep the one that you like and return the other to the AT&T store - and straighten out your phone account billing while you're there.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
If both phones are attached to your account, they will most likely catch on. Are you okay paying $850 for the second one 2 months from now? If so then keep it and see what happens. If not, return it.

It's possible you glitched the matrix, but most likely not.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
No such thing as a free lunch, return it asap. Inventory tracking is too good these days to get away with a free $900 lunch.

This, and morally I'd suggest returning it. What comes around goes around. Nobody's perfect but if more people would try to do the right thing we'd live in a better world.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Soooo... this is gonna be a long story...

Basically, as soon as the iPhone 5 became available, I ordered through AT&T. I ordered a White 64GB one. I wanted to have it shipped to my office because I had a friend of mine that got hers stolen when they were delivered to her house because she wasn't there. So I ordered it, then realized that they never actually asked for a shipping address.

I called them back and explained the situation. The girl cancelled my order for me over the phone and also put in a new order for me over the phone. I told her my work address and she said everything should be good to go.

I get an email saying that the order was for a BLACK 64GB iPhone 5 but that it was going to be sent to my home address... again. Still incorrect.

I called back again and spoke with two different AT&T-ers for about two hours. I was told that because an AT&T person put the order in that it couldn't be cancelled and that the phone HAD to be shipped to my house because it was the same as my billing address, something that is supposed to help protect against fraud supposedly.

Anyway...
We basically concluded that I would just call FedEx once I got the tracking number and just have them set it up for pickup at a FedEx location. I did that and had to pick up my phone in Skokie (I'm in Chicago, kind of a pain) last Friday. I got charged for it on Friday, but didn't activate it until Saturday mid-day.

Sooo today, I get a 64 Black iPhone 5 sent to me at work (which I was told was impossible btw). I've looked on my account and I have only been charged for it once, on Friday. I'm not sure what's going on or what to do. I was debating on giving it to my boyfriend because it's his birthday on Saturday but I know the phone is supposedly linked with my number already. So I wasn't sure how he would be able to activate it, if at all. I thought about selling it too but I don't know if I can do that either. I'm scared I will get charged for it at some point.

I think the best bet might just be to walk into AT&T and just say "I want to return this" and nothing more, and just see what happens. Any suggestions, thoughts? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I just want to note that I have gotten emails about the Black iPhone but not the white. When I look at AT&T orders online, it just shows the WHITE one and nothing more.

See this every year and phones get mixed up and people do not get charged. The way it works is you are charged once the phone is shipped. The phones were shipped and you were charged once, just go into the store and see what they say. Honestly they will tell you its yours if they can't return it into the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.