Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I am wanting to get the iPhone next month, the price break made it really appealing. But I am on ATT's website, and while they say they have phone coverage in my area, there is no 3G coverage. Plus, I am in South Utah, which probably means we aren't high on their list to add it.

Am I just out of luck on this? There's got to be more people in smaller cities that are having this problem too. Can I get the internet and such on the iphone, or without 3G coverage, will it just work as a regular phone?

alanisrox69

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
iPhone doesn't support 3G, which is the faster over-the-air internet Cingular/ATT supports. The much slower internet is available everywhere, and that is what the iPhone supports: EDGE.

-Derek-

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The iPhone doesn't use 3G, and most likely there will not be a US version with it for a while, as there are very few places in the US that have coverage.

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
I am wanting to get the iPhone next month, the price break made it really appealing. But I am on ATT's website, and while they say they have phone coverage in my area, there is no 3G coverage. Plus, I am in South Utah, which probably means we aren't high on their list to add it.

Am I just out of luck on this? There's got to be more people in smaller cities that are having this problem too. Can I get the internet and such on the iphone, or without 3G coverage, will it just work as a regular phone?

Don't worry you can get internet without 3G as the iPhone currently does not support it. Not until apple updates the hardware which could (who nows now a days) be a long time from now. Edge is ok but try to use the iPhone with wifi whenever you can, which is faster then 3G anyways.

Out...

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
I dont want to start the debate again... but for most users, real word performance of 3G is barely better than Edge for loading sites. The specs look good, but due to horrible latency 3G takes a while to ramp up to speed. So for web sites and e-mail one can barely tell the difference. But with things like large attachments and YouTube you can see it. I speak from experience.

And as stated, use the WiFi when you can but I think Edge is not all that bad really.

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
I don't notice a big issue with receiving basic email over edge. Something with attachments might cause issues, but don't get many of those myself.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Does anyone know if AT&T will aggressively roll out 3 G like Verizon did, or will AT&T 3 G never cover the type of area EDGE does?

cybertron3

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2003
Mass
The coverage maps online are not that great to begin with, especially near borders of coverage. That is not the fault of ATT, it is difficult to take into account trees and such. I have found service many miles from the nearest ATT service area (according to the website) before as well, so dont take it as the end all, be all.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
interesting. There are no AT&T stores here, so I was curious if there was even service, seeing as how you can't even buy a phone for them. The map says there is, so I guess the iphone would work.

linshiwen

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2007
I get the impression half the people who are whining about the lack of 3G in the current iPhone dont even know what 3G is, or that its probably not even available in their area. I know for sure its not available in the little town I live in, so thank god the iPhone has EDGE!

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
3G is going to replace EDGE/GPRS very soon. The cool thing about 3G is that you can receive calls when you're using data, with EDGE/GPRS active, your calls go to voice mail.

I've been using 3G for a few months here, and it's very fast. I tethered up to a notebook and it's sweet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.