Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dafyddjones2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Tonyrefail, Wales, UK
I am starting to make apps for the iOS platform and OS X platform and I would like to make a school system with an attendance register, homework planner, mark book, behavioural reports and I was just wondering how to do this in xCode

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Well, that's an awfully vague question. You'll have to be more specific about what help it is you're seeking. And you should provide some background about your level of experience with programming, Objective-C, iOS coding, etc. It helps if you can be as specific as possible.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Well, that's an awfully vague question.
Double time that.

You are asking how to build an entire app, without thinking of the flow, asking specific questions or anything?
Start by learning how to do basic steps, then ask more specific questions to get you on the way :)

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Just create some classes and some UI and build it and you are done.

Hey, you forgot step 3: profit!

To the OP: if you don't know anything about programming yet, you're in for a long road. It's likely to take you a year or two to get to the stage where you could attempt an app of that scope. Your first step should probably be to buy a book: you could try this one, for example, but there's plenty of good ones.

Whether or not you know anything about programming, you should read this article about how to ask questions on web forums. Read every word of that article, then go through the checklist at the end. Then come back and post about your problem in more concrete terms. If after reading that you still can't ask a more specific question, then you need to buy a book and work through it.

Amorya

dafyddjones2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Tonyrefail, Wales, UK
Hey, you forgot step 3: profit!

To the OP: if you don't know anything about programming yet, you're in for a long road. It's likely to take you a year or two to get to the stage where you could attempt an app of that scope. Your first step should probably be to buy a book: you could try this one, for example, but there's plenty of good ones.

Whether or not you know anything about programming, you should read this article about how to ask questions on web forums. Read every word of that article, then go through the checklist at the end. Then come back and post about your problem in more concrete terms. If after reading that you still can't ask a more specific question, then you need to buy a book and work through it.

Amorya

Yes I do know a lot about programming but how can I use MySQL database and design the UI for this app

vultureboy

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
Blackpool, UK
Programming on the iPhone doesn't directly support mySQL, you can use an SQLite database or Core Data directly on the phone however if you want to sync to a centralised database you will have to set up a way to communicate with that database server. You could do this in a number of ways, direct communication with a custom written piece of software on the database server, or using a basic web server and send the data by posting it to that. Then your web server could do the job of putting the information into your mySQL server.

As for the UI design, XCode (which you will need to develop for the iPhone) has a built in visual designer for UI's which you then save as nib files. Alternatively you can create the UI programatically.

If you need more specific information then you will have to be more specific with your questions. :)

Good Luck

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Yes I do know a lot about programming but how can I use MySQL database and design the UI for this app

Read the article I linked to above first. It tells you how to ask decent questions on web forums. With a question this vague, you have to tell us what you've tried already, including what Google searches you've used to try to find the answer. That gives us more of a clue where you're getting stuck, so we'll be better able to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.