Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
So I have my new ATV 3 set up in my entertainment center connected to my A/V receiver which outputs to my TV all via HDMI. The ATV connects via a wired connection direction into my Airport Extreme. Right now I'm living in a situation where the actual connection is managed by my landlord below me via his Time Capsule, and my Airport Extreme is set up as a bridge of that connection (both his TC and my AE are running the latest firmware).

My issue is that my ATV has been randomly crashing to a black screen, the LED on it flashes repeatedly, the little start up circle guy pops up on my TV, and then it boots to the main menu. This happens when I'm using Home Sharing, using AirPlay, watching YouTube, or watching Netflix (haven't done anything else with it yet). I don't know what is causing it. I haven't lost connection on any other devices connected to the network, so I don't think that is responsible.

Is anyone else having crashing issues?

jlove385

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
I had it happen as well for the first time yesterday on my Apple TV 2. Not sure of the cause...

pcharles

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
So I have my new ATV 3 set up in my entertainment center connected to my A/V receiver which outputs to my TV all via HDMI. The ATV connects via a wired connection direction into my Airport Extreme. Right now I'm living in a situation where the actual connection is managed by my landlord below me via his Time Capsule, and my Airport Extreme is set up as a bridge of that connection (both his TC and my AE are running the latest firmware).
Is anyone else having crashing issues?

I've had two "crashes" the first was on the day I set it up and was watching star trek over iTunes Match, when the video stopped working and the ATV went in to a loop that required me to pull the power cord. Today, my wife said the ATV rebooted while I was out.

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Well I guess it is reassuring in a sense that A, it isn't a hardware thing, and B, more people have issues with it so that hopefully we'll get a fix sooner.

pcharles

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I've had two "crashes" the first was on the day I set it up and was watching star trek over iTunes Match, when the video stopped working and the ATV went in to a loop that required me to pull the power cord. Today, my wife said the ATV rebooted while I was out.

Crashed again tonight while the wife was streaming from her iPad. :mad:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
i was gonna post about this awell, my ATV 3 crashes and sometimes glitches when i wake it up from sleep, kindda annoying but i guess they will fix it with a firmware update..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.