Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

98EXL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
As my testing continues of my workflow of ripping all of our media, I have come across the problem of BD rips. When I was testing DVD rips, it really didn't matter if I used the aTV3 or iPad presets in HB. Picked up The Avengers the other day, and did some testing. ATV3 version is about 6GB and iPad version is about 2GB. I'd (we'd) love to keep both versions in the library (obviously no need to waste 4GB on the iPad) but not have to have them as different names.

Any suggestions? Tried searching, everything was coming up Milhouse unfortunately.

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Atv3 preset is 1080p so it will produce a larger file on Blu ray sources.

iPad preset is 720p (don't quote me on that - I'm on my phone typing this and don't have handbrake open). The preset basically produces a smaller file with lower resolution.

It's really up to you on how you want to handle everything. Since I watch all of my Blu ray rips in the living room - I keep them all at atv3 preset. This means when I travel I just try to find smaller files to sync or sometimes I'll be ambitious and encode an iPad preset of the atv3 version then just delete it when I'm done watching.

If you watch mostly on your iPad - maybe it's worth having the smaller file sizes and just let your tv upscale the image.

Another solution is maybe pick a middle of the road solution - encode with the appletv2 preset. This will keep things at 720p no matter what along with AAC and ac3.

mpress03

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
I ran into a similar problem not too long ago. What I do is save one file has the 1080p version named "avengers hd" and the other version as " avengers sd". When tagging the files make all the information the same (including movie name) EXCEPT tag the one has HD. iTunes displays the tag name, not the file name so it won't show what the file is actually named. If you want to have them combined in iTunes with an SD/HD tag, then make the content ID the same. I use subler and simply copy all the information from and paste in the other and just tag one has HD. The content ID is nice so that you don't end up with duplicates in iTunes but still have 2 copies.

Hope that helps.

98EXL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
I ran into a similar problem not too long ago. What I do is save one file has the 1080p version named "avengers hd" and the other version as " avengers sd". When tagging the files make all the information the same (including movie name) EXCEPT tag the one has HD. iTunes displays the tag name, not the file name so it won't show what the file is actually named. If you want to have them combined in iTunes with an SD/HD tag, then make the content ID the same. I use subler and simply copy all the information from and paste in the other and just tag one has HD. The content ID is nice so that you don't end up with duplicates in iTunes but still have 2 copies.

Hope that helps.

You sir, are awesome. I couldn't quite figure out how to google or search here for that info. I knew there had to be a way since iTunes gives you the "prefer SD videos" on iOS devices.

High five from across the internet! Thank you!

mpress03

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
No problem. I spent a lot of time searching and reading and trying different things until I found something that's works. Just glad I could help save you some headaches.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Atv3 preset is 1080p so it will produce a larger file on Blu ray sources.

iPad preset is 720p (don't quote me on that - I'm on my phone typing this and don't have handbrake open).

Yup, HB still doesn't differentiate between the iPad models - albeit even the iPad 1 is capable of playing back 1080p30 content flawlessly if you avoid using direct iTunes synching to its Videos library and play back from a third-party player utilizing the hardware decoder. Let alone the two newer models: the iPad 2/3 can play back even 1080p60 flawlessly.

I myself would ALWAYS encode to full HD, unless there is an absolute storage shortage where every single byte counts. But, then, I'd also consider

1, jailbreaking and using players (XBMC, RushPlayer+) with full file system access, including the Camera Connection Kit as a cheap and removable source of video files

2, or streaming from either a desktop or other NAS sources, including portable ones.

98EXL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
No problem. I spent a lot of time searching and reading and trying different things until I found something that's works. Just glad I could help save you some headaches.

Again, thank you. Been thinking about it, reading some stuff here and there, and it makes total sense. SWMBO also thanks you :D

identify will let you tag as SD, HD 720, or HD 1080.

I need to stop taking my idiot pills...I have had a hard time with that software, but maybe I should give it another try.

I myself would ALWAYS encode to full HD, unless there is an absolute storage shortage where every single byte counts.

I only want the smaller file sizes for the iPad. Around the house I could care less about file sizes, but on a 64GB iPad, storage goes quick. I only bring my Seagate Satellite on vacation. Even still, 500GB goes quickly.

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
In iTunes, there's a bitrate column if you find the field chooser and add it. I use it for music, and can then filter and make playlists from that.

Would this technique work for video as well?

kbutler84

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
albeit even the iPad 1 is capable of playing back 1080p30 content flawlessly if you avoid using direct iTunes synching to its Videos library and play back from a third-party player utilizing the hardware decoder.

Can you point me in the direction of how to get this done? Not thrilled about using a third-party app for video playback, but I'm just not ready to upgrade to a new iPad yet. But I also would like to only have 1 1080p encode for my movies, rather than one for iPad and one for ATV3.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Can you point me in the direction of how to get this done? Not thrilled about using a third-party app for video playback, but I'm just not ready to upgrade to a new iPad yet. But I also would like to only have 1 1080p encode for my movies, rather than one for iPad and one for ATV3.

Just get, say, GoodPlayer or It's Playing and transfer your videos to it via iTunes File Sharing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4094

Both will play 1080p30 stuff on your iPad 1 just fine, regardless of Apple's absolutely useless and unnecessary restrictions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.