Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
an iMac 2016 with Mojave:
any ideas how to assert a known admin user account at say 1am

i am doing backups at 1am but the family leaves the iMac in the wrong admin user account

rcprador

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2019
Hi,
[1] Do you need to be logged on graphical interface? (does the backup app has to be running graphically on the admin user?)
[2] Or just logging the admin user on background would do it? (in this case there would be no need to have the backup app opened graphically as it would just run automatically via job on the admin user, once it is logged)
[3] Another option would be to create a simple automatic service to run in background, for the admin user, to run automatically. (but also depends on how the backup app works)

I know how to do it the 3 ways above,
but you have to tell me more details about how the backup app works, so I can know which of the options above will serve better for your situation.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
the whole macOS Mojave (and likely Catalina too) thingy is not functional to managing wake-up, sleep modes. Oh well...

i did some research into SysPreferences->UserGroups->fast user switching.
This seems to work for my needs, that is enough of the backup app is still running in the background even while another user account is active. It is difficult to get the family to use the fast user icon in the upper right of their screen. Go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.