Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Danish high-end audio outfit B&O Play unveiled its latest Bluetooth speaker today. The Beoplay P2 features a grilled aluminum and leather design similar to the company's impressive $250 Beoplay A1 speaker, which we reviewed last year, but otherwise there are some notable differences.

BeoplayP2_product_page_desktop_gallery_02_large-800x539.jpg

First of all, the P2 is cheaper at $169, and it comes in a smaller housing than the A1, which the company hopes makes this a device "you don't want to leave your home without". The other big change is that apart from a power button hidden on the back, the P2 doesn't have any physical controls to speak of.

Instead of using buttons, users change the volume, and play, pause, and skip tracks via a series of taps and gestures that can be customized using the accompanying Beoplay mobile app.

The P2 shares the same tweeter at the A1 unit, but B&O Play says it has redesigned the A1's mid-woofer using an anodized aluminum cone structure to house it in a smaller chassis without compromising on bass performance.

Elsewhere, the P2 also has a microphone to take calls, a USB-C cable for charging, up to 10 hours' battery life, and splash resistance.

The Beoplay P2 can be had in black, sandstone, and royal blue colors, and is available today on the B&O Play website.

Article Link: B&O Play Unveils $169 P2 Bluetooth Portable Speaker With Gesture Controls

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I really like the A1 and A2, but this one looks kinda cheap. Maybe it's just the colour and edging of the blue one. Also, shaking and tapping instead of actual buttons sounds absolutely rediculous.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I have Beolit Picnic Basket speaker and that thing is impressive. This one is cheaper and I don't think it will sound that great as it's bigger brother which was reviewed last year on macrumors.

canny

Suspended
Jun 11, 2009
The last good looking thing B&O released was in about 1979. In my opinion, Apple should start copying 70s B&O hifis, since they have run out of Braun devices to copy. Teak and metal.

marban

Suspended
Jun 13, 2011
Just took delivery of this guy and things sound nice so far. Not the punchiness of the A1 but given the lighter and smaller form factor I see this as a real pocketable alternative. The shake (me hard) to skip forward gesture is awkward though — It seems the Wii-mote wrist strap is literally there for a reason...

oldoneeye

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
I have Beolit Picnic Basket speaker and that thing is impressive. This one is cheaper and I don't think it will sound that great as it's bigger brother which was reviewed last year on macrumors.

I bought the beolit 15 with airplay.... great sound, but so slow to pair and kept dropping connection. Very disappointing ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.