Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Varmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
There is naturally a lot of hardware discussions in this forum. But what about good backup software that can handle more complex systems:

My hardware look like this (has taken almost 5 years to get the pieces together):

MacPro 2008 2x4 16GB
1) Internal 2 SSD with system + backup
2) External usb 2.5" time machine BU
3) External NAS 8x3TB Raid5 (QNAP 859), on cisco switch 2x1 GBit

Promise esata 4p
4) 15x2TB JBOD (external home built cabinett with my "scrap disks")
5+6) 2x 5x3TB JBOD (alternating, one always off site)

Areca 1882ix16 (just installed, but this is what it will contain)
8) 8x3TB External cabinet Raid 5 (this will be my primary dataset)
9) 4x160GB Intel SSD Raid 0

I have about 13TB data, slowly growing, so I will have to gradually exchange 3TB to 4 TB disks in 5) + 6) to be able to keep full backups.

I have 6 different data volumes (yes I am a bit paranoid when it comes to loose data):
8) Main data set
3+4+5+6 will contain full backups.
9) will only contain a fast version of my work archive of photos.

Does anyone have any suggestion of a software solution to keep the different volumes in sync?

So far I have used Chronosync for the big volumes but have found it difficult to make an nice automatic solution when some volumes are not always online (like 5 and 6).
I have also used Carbon Copy for the system disk.

Alternativs?
Scripts
Retrospect (but seem to have a tarnished reputation last couples of years)

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Looks like you may need:
http://www.archiware.com/home.1.1.html

It is awesome and awesomely expensive.
Avoid the retrospect like the plague. It is the worst. I'd rather rely on Time Machine. And that's saying something.
Personally I schedule SuperDuper! with smart updates on my Disks. It will do any mountable volume. Bootable or otherwise.

Varmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks a lot for the feedback!

PresSTORE looks like a nice solution. A bit expensive (in the Photoshop range). But in comparison with the value of the data and my hardware it is pretty marginal. I certainly will contact them and ask them which solution will fit me best.

But until I get it up and run, I will continue use semi-manual Chronosync (data) and CarbonCopy/Timemachine (system+mail).

It is almost 20 years since I last had a big backup breakdown, and I want to keep it that way. :)

BTW, as it comes to Time Machine, does it verify the backups? Option-click on the menu-icon shows a "Verify Backups" alternative. But it does not seem to be active.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Thanks a lot for the feedback!

PresSTORE looks like a nice solution. A bit expensive (in the Photoshop range). But in comparison with the value of the data and my hardware it is pretty marginal. I certainly will contact them and ask them which solution will fit me best.

Yeah, I believe they are modular based so you could maybe get away cheaper if all you need is Disk backups and syncro. I use it at business' that have massive tape libraries and XSAN implementations. So cost to them is nothing. In the end cost should be considered but data is paramount. Post back after your routine get's finalized. If you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.