Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Hello there,

Okay, I didn't bought the Applecare when I bought my iMac (early 2011) but it still covered by the 1 year (basic) warranty.

Long story short, my iMac accidently felt from my desk and the edge of my screen is torn and some pixels are dead.

My question: Does the Applecare cover accidental damages? If so, do you think the screen is covered by the warranty?

Any input/first-hand experience is more than welcome...
Thanks

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Hello there,

Okay, I didn't bought the Applecare when I bought my iMac (early 2011) but it still covered by the 1 year (basic) warranty.

Long story short, my iMac accidently felt from my desk and the edge of my screen is torn and some pixels are dead.

My question: Does the Applecare cover accidental damages? If so, do you think the screen is covered by the warranty?

Any input/first-hand experience is more than welcome...
Thanks

no.
warranty does not cover user damage.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Just checked, you are correct. Do those Americans think we Brits are too careless to make applecare+ viable for us?

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
OT but I'm curious to know if all type of "carelessness" is covered by Applecare+...

(Like if you drop/spill liquid on your iPhone - not that I ever really want to find out 'tho!)

I bet it all comes down to the Apple Rep you're talking to (basically, just like the regular Applecare).

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
OT but I'm curious to know if all type of "carelessness" is covered by Applecare+...

(Like if you drop/spill liquid on your iPhone - not that I ever really want to find out 'tho!)

I bet it all comes down to the Apple Rep you're talking to (basically, just like the regular Applecare).

If you go read the description/terms you'll see that you are covered for two (2) accidental damage instances. Each one carries a $49 service fee.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
If you go read the description/terms you'll see that you are covered for two (2) accidental damage instances. Each one carries a $49 service fee.

Great. Thanks for the link.

So Applecare+ give you one (1) more year of warranty in which you can use up to two (2) accidental damages (if you haven't use it already in your first year of the basic warranty) at $50 each shot.

So than makes: $99 for Applecare+ for one (1) extra year of warranty + 2 x $50 (equal to $100) minimum in worst case scenario.
So it's up to $200 to cover your $499 phone... Maybe I should change career and go in insurance business! ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
    It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.