Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Or is battery replacement only done by Apple? Any one foreseeing eventually replacing the battery after relentless recharges running down charge capacity? I believe Apple states that the iPad battery life is good for 1000 charges.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
Apple will replace the entire device. They've already said they wont just replace the battery. So effectively it's not user replaceable.

[EDIT: -- opps sorry, I thought I was in the iPhone forum, I now see we're talking about iPad! sorry about that, I've deleted my post below about Apple iphone battery replacement service and DIY ]

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
actually, not true.

Apple will replace an iPhone battery for you:

iPhone Battery Replacement Service
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/

or, you can go to ifixit.com if you want to DIY - click on the repair guide for your particular model iPhone and follow the instructions, they're easy to follow and not too hard to do. you can buy a replacement battery pack there, or from a number of other sources online. of course doing it yourself may void your warranty, if you mess something up...
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/[B]iPhone[/B]

iPad, not iPhone.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
actually, not true.

Apple will replace an iPhone battery for you:

iPhone Battery Replacement Service
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/

or, you can go to ifixit.com if you want to DIY - click on the repair guide for your particular model iPhone and follow the instructions, they're easy to follow and not too hard to do. you can buy a replacement battery pack there, or from a number of other sources online. of course doing it yourself may void your warranty, if you mess something up...
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/iPhone

Never mind--someone beat me to it.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
iPad, not iPhone.
yah, sorry about that. you caught my mistake before I could edit it... :eek:

but FWIW, I bet if we wait a while, those guys at iFixit will eventually have replacement battery parts available and a DIY guide - they already have an excellent iPad teardown.

so I still wouldn't say it's not user-replaceable

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks guys. But it appears people are replacing via hack method, just like the previous generation Mac Mini memory upgrades were done outside Apple support.

This might be interesting, although I would never try it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjtvMCndcw

(edit: looks more complicated than brain surgery.)

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Why would you want to replace your battery ? It should last for three plus years, and Apple will EXCHANGE your iPad for a new one for $99.

How much would a new battery cost + labor if you pay someone else, or the hassle if you do it yourself.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Why would you want to replace your battery ? It should last for three plus years, and Apple will EXCHANGE your iPad for a new one for $99.

How much would a new battery cost + labor if you pay someone else, or the hassle if you do it yourself.

First off, I don't think raising user maintenance as an alternative to slavishly relying on Apple to do everything is something we can't discuss. How do you know how long it'll last? Battery life is based on the number of recharges, and not everyone's daily usage needs are the same. I also am not aware of this $99 free replacement deal... please provide link.

By the way your opinion may be a candidate for your signature line.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany

Additionally, once you pry it apart you compromise the seal which would greatly increase the risk of contaminants entering the iPad. I believe that is also the core reason why the devices (iPad, iPod and iPhone) are sealed units - to reduce the risk of dust etc. contamination - if I compare with virtually every Nokia, Samsung, Alcatel etc. that I have ever used (even the "ruggedised" models) they always seemed to contain more dust than my jeans pocket after only a couple of months.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother - just go to Apple (or sell it and use the money to buy the newer version which would definitely be available by the time your battery fails).

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Additionally, once you pry it apart you compromise the seal which would greatly increase the risk of contaminants entering the iPad. I believe that is also the core reason why the devices (iPad, iPod and iPhone) are sealed units - to reduce the risk of dust etc. contamination - if I compare with virtually every Nokia, Samsung, Alcatel etc. that I have ever used (even the "ruggedised" models) they always seemed to contain more dust than my jeans pocket after only a couple of months.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother - just go to Apple (or sell it and use the money to buy the newer version which would definitely be available by the time your battery fails).

Agreed and makes sense. But always good to know all options.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
First off, I don't think raising user maintenance as an alternative to slavishly relying on Apple to do everything is something we can't discuss. How do you know how long it'll last? Battery life is based on the number of recharges, and not everyone's daily usage needs are the same. I also am not aware of this $99 free replacement deal... please provide link.

By the way your opinion may be a candidate for your signature line.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service/battery/

There you go...

1000 complete recharges. If you used it for 10 plus hours a day and charged it every night, that would be 1000 days, three years is 1095 days. How many people go from 100% to 0% everyday? So three years SHOULD be the minimum life of the battery and that is when it will only charge to 80% of its original capacity.

Edit: On that page there is also a link on battery life. It's a decent read and it confirms what you have heard on the 1000 charges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.