Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
i posted about this before and after spending 4 days with apple store and them not being able to find out what was wrong I got a replacement unit. The new computer has the exact same issue as the old one. The computer has issues with external hard drives that use USB 1.0 and 2.0 protocol. Using type C this issue is not present.

Hope this can be rolled out with an update and it should because USB seems to work fine otherwise.

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
They probably won’t.

I doubt they will expect people who care enough to pay iMac Pro prices for performance would want to continue using USB 1 or 2 in an era of USB 3 Gen 2 and TB3

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
The whole ordeal took me 3 weeks and I certainly hope my thread will help others. I am not saying don't buy the computer but do understand this is an issue. I ended up ordering type c external hard drives and so far so good.

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Unreliable hard drive connectivity to the point of making them useless

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
They probably won’t.

I doubt they will expect people who care enough to pay iMac Pro prices for performance would want to continue using USB 1 or 2 in an era of USB 3 Gen 2 and TB3

In spite of whatever "they" think people may or may not expect, the USB 3.1 Gen 2 spec calls for backwards compatibility with USB 2.0, so it needs to work properly to conform.

Apple should fix this, just it had to fix its USB 3.0 issues after it debuted.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
USB 1.0 is intended for Keyboards and Mice and is unsuitable for other peripherals

USB 2.0 should be fine but Firewire 800, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 are faster.

Thunderbolt 2 is excellent as is USB-C/Thunderbolt 3.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
In spite of whatever "they" think people may or may not expect, the USB 3.1 Gen 2 spec calls for backwards compatibility with USB 2.0, so it needs to work properly to conform.

Apple should fix this, just it had to fix its USB 3.0 issues after it debuted.

It’s perfectly reasonable to expect people who need the latest workstation class hardware to have abandoned peripherals that use ports superceded ten years ago.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
It’s perfectly reasonable to expect people who need the latest workstation class hardware to have abandoned peripherals that use ports superceded ten years ago.

Again, it's irrelevant to cite what some people think others may or may not expect.

USB 3.1G2 calls for backward compatibility with 2.0. It needs to work to conform with the spec, not kinda work, or in a "few will try it anyway" fashion.

That's why standards exist.

If you want to talk about reasonable expectations, it's entirely reasonable to expect that any USB peripheral that is deemed backward by the USB IF to function properly.

The OP certainly wanted it to function as required, and wasted three weeks of time trying to track down the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.