Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

becomingstevejobs.jpg
After an initial teaser post from John Gruber earlier this month and several leaks and excerpts, the new Steve Jobs biography Becoming Steve Jobs debuted yesterday, and we've had a chance to read through the book that offers a new look into the life of the Apple co-founder. While Walter Isaacson's best-selling 2011 biography of Jobs was undertaken with Jobs' authorization and participation, many close to him felt it didn't offer an accurate reflection of his personality.

In the wake of that book's debut, former Fortune and Wall Street Journal reporter Brent Schlender, who interviewed Jobs numerous times over the final 25 years of Jobs' life, teamed up with former Fortune colleague and current Fast Company executive editor Rick Tetzeli for an alternative take on Jobs' life. Notably, Schlender and Tetzeli were eventually able to obtain the cooperation of a number of key figures, including Tim Cook, Eddy Cue, Jony Ive, and Laurene Powell Jobs, to share their perspectives on Jobs.

The new book takes a mostly linear approach to telling the story of Jobs' life, beginning with Apple's early days. Much of that early content has been shared in previously published books and articles, but the story becomes more interesting once it reaches 1986, the year Schlender and Jobs first met for an interview when Jobs was in the early stages of building NeXT after having been ousted from Apple the year before.

Schlender's many interviews and discussions with Jobs over the years give him a fairly rare perspective, and Schlender uses that perspective to argue the Jobs of his later years was a very different and more mature person than the perception developed in his brash younger years.
I can't think of a businessman who grew and changed and matured more than Steve. Personal change is, of course, incremental. As all "grown-ups" come to understand, we wrestle with and learn how to manage our gifts and flaws over a lifetime. It's an endless growth process. And yet it's not as if we become wholly different people. Steve is a great object lesson in someone who masterfully improved his ability to make better use of his strengths and to effectively mitigate those aspects of his personality that got in the way of those strengths. His negative qualities didn't go away, nor were they replaced by new good traits. But he learned how to manage himself, his own personal miasma of talents and rough edges. Most of them, anyway.
Tim Cook is one of the most high-profile figures to be interviewed for the book, and beyond the already revealed tidbit about Cook having offered Jobs a portion of his liver, Cook addressed the ways in which he saw Jobs change even since 1998 when Cook joined Apple.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: 'Becoming Steve Jobs': Rare Insights into Steve Jobs' Evolution and Personality

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
I see what you did there...

Pushed the human forward...
Technology yes but thanks to smart phones, people no longer do things face to face.

Thanks to Steve, people are looking at their feet a lot more.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Received my copy late yesterday evening and had to jump in right away. I've only been able to get through about 10 pages, but I'm already hooked.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I bought this audiobook, turned it on, and wow, the narration SUX bad. The guy has random pauses, breaks where there shouldn't be breaks, and all around is just bad. It actually takes away from the book for me. I have audio books where the narrator gets you more into the book (Super Mario.. Nintendo), and this for sure is the opposite. I'm going to have a hard time getting through it.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Received my copy late yesterday evening and had to jump in right away. I've only been able to get through about 10 pages, but I'm already hooked.

Same, it's such an interesting story. The seva foundation scene was pretty funny, and pretty interesting.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Technology yes but thanks to smart phones, people no longer do things face to face.

True, such devices have been a major part of the disintegration of face-to-face conversational ability.

I think it's beyond ironic that Jobs said he did not allow his own kids to use iPads, and limited their use of technology in general.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013

Amy: This is nice, that we all get to eat together.
Leonard: Absolutely.
Amy: Hmm. Can we maybe put the phones down and have an actual human conversation?
Sheldon: We can, but thanks to Steve Jobs, we don’t have to.

maxresdefault.jpg

I bought this audiobook, turned it on, and wow, the narration SUX bad. The guy has random pauses, breaks where there shouldn't be breaks, and all around is just bad. It actually takes away from the book for me. I have audio books where the narrator gets you more into the book (Super Mario.. Nintendo), and this for sure is the opposite. I'm going to have a hard time getting through it.

Is that on Audible? Because I was considering getting that, so your thoughts would be helpful

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
About halfway through the book. It's a quick read. I certainly don't get the sense the authors were whitewashing anything or trying to present Steve in a better light. His bad traits and tendencies certainly shine through (at least in the first Apple, Next and Pixar days).

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
What is the reason for different sizes on the iBook store for different regions? I understand there maybe a few pages here or there because of publishers, but on one store its like 20.9 MB and another it's 4MB. That seems like a considerable difference.

Page numbers are the same.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
About halfway through the book. It's a quick read. I certainly don't get the sense the authors were whitewashing anything or trying to present Steve in a better light. His bad traits and tendencies certainly shine through (at least in the first Apple, Next and Pixar days).

That's good to know. I'll have to give this a read. Is it like watching the same movie for the second time though? LOL

Talbot

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Ehh, I'll wait for the eventual documentary/movie.

Hopefully directed by David Fincher.

I can tell you with much confidence that David Fincher will not be directing a Steve Jobs film.

Danny Boyle is directing the current one and if Fincher was going to direct a Job film it would've been that one considering his relationship with Sorkin and Sony (at the time Amy Pascal). Also his next 3 projects are already lined up and there are 3+ more that are floating around with his name.

As much as I just think you need to read the damn book... All I'll say is don't hold your breath for the Fincher movie. Sorry but as a filmmaker who follows what going on, I thought I would let you know.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I can tell you with much confidence that David Fincher will not be directing a Steve Jobs film.

Danny Boyle is directing the current one and if Fincher was going to direct a Job film it would've been that one considering his relationship with Sorkin and Sony (at the time Amy Pascal). Also his next 3 projects are already lined up and there are 3+ more that are floating around with his name.

As much as I just think you need to read the damn book... All I'll say is don't hold your breath for the Fincher movie. Sorry but as a filmmaker who follows what going on, I thought I would let you know.

You clearly didn't read the sarcasm.

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN

Maybe for you, but thanks to my iPhone I am able to say wayyyy more in contact with my friends. I'm 35 and I regularly have group text threads going with four guys I graduated with. Right now we are making plans to celebrate one of their birthdays this weekend.

That doesn't even take into account the way I keep in contact with other friends across the states and even overseas with Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.

farmkittie

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Thanks for letting us know. I was just about to use my audible credit for this now. I guess I'll get the book. I love to read. I don't have much time to read nowadays though.

Update: I'm listening to audiobook sample now. It doesn't seem too bad to me. On the other hand, my mind tends to wonder when I listen to a book as opposed to reading it so maybe I'll go with the eBook.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I am enjoying it so far. Some of it was mentioned in fuller detail in "The Bite in the Apple".

I still haven't finished the Isaacson book. It's probably because it feels very researchy and textbook-like while these two are very personal.

Bob Ames

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
Narcissists don't improve with age, they just become craftier. The soft side of a narc is merely an act - a way of getting what they want. The best high a narc can get is to be praised for their amazing self-sacrifice and kindness, and the best way to get that praise is to get involved with blood runs, charities, and reach out to people that they think need help, but it's all just an act, every bit of it. The more public the act, the more praise they will get. After skimming through the book, it sounds like Cook was very useful to Jobs, which explains why Jobs put his narc spell on him. If I hadn't accidentally read about Narcissistic Personality Disorder two years ago, I would still think I had the best friend in the world...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.